Supro Amp Price?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Vara, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Vara

Vara Tele-Meister

I found an amp I'm interested in, but I want to know a little more about it, and if it's worth the asking price ($730)

It's a '67 Supro Thunderbolt, below are some pictures. From the seller: "1967 Supro S6420 Thunderbolt guitar amp that is 100% original and it works perfectly and it sounds incredible!! It is equipped with a single 15 inch speaker and is still in very nice shape for its age." supro2.jpg supro1.jpg

Anyone care to chime in? What does it sound similar to? 59 bassman? Headroom? Any info or thoughts are appreciated.

2. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

On the volume knob it's clean, Clean, CLean, CLEAN and then - LOUD.

No rectifier tube version so not as much breakup. A lot of folks would steer you away because of the rusty transformer but that's not always a thing.

I had two and wasn't over the moon about either one.

A buddy has that version and uses a buttload of pedals in front of it and loves his. I gotta admit his sounds good w/ an old Big Muff in front of it.

Not the JP amp btw. I think that's well-established by now.

Not worth $700-ish to me.

3. Mayas caster

Mayas caster Tele-Holic

I have seen them go for 900 to 1300 USD for the last year on variable sites. 700$ is NOT expensive for this particular amp.

4. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I think it's a very good price.
    I'm with Mike on the sound...but that's subjective.
    I've had 2 tube-rectified ones (still have one) but never tried the SS rect.
    I find they do have a killer cranked tone, but I have other 15" combos that are much more musical at lower volume.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.