Supra-Tone custom body FYI:

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Buttered Biskit, May 21, 2020.

1. Buttered Biskit

Buttered Biskit Tele-Meister

On 5/14 I ordered an ash/ash thin line tele body from this company and recieved it 5/21. That's the good news. I didn't get any tracking number or nothin. I really didn't expect it for at least a month. The body with shipping cost $215. I have to say it came in pretty rough condition. Its gonna need a lot of sanding probably starting with 80 grit especially on the sides. Here's some pics on of the body with the problem spots and stuff:

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  2. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Holic

I understand and agree that it's in rough shape and it will need lots of work to get it smoothed out.

Fortunately ash requires grain filler anyway so there is a little consolation that filling would be necessary anyway.

Now for the good news... That grain pattern is gorgeous!!!!

How much does it weigh?

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

3. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Holic

Hmmm, that is a little rougher than the one I got from 'em a while back. FWIW I think the grain looks cool, too. Good luck with 'er.

4. Buttered Biskit

It's a little hefty. It weighed by hand slightly heavier than a pine body I'm finishing up. So likely just under 4lbs.

5. Buttered Biskit

I think it's about 3lbs 12oz. I do like the grain. I think I'll char it with a torch and clear it. I want to put a roaster maple warmoth neck on it. I'm thinking a CBS strat peghead. What do you think?

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  6. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Meister

Your body doesn't look too bad compared to some of his other stuff Ihave seen on eBay. Anything can be made presentable with enough work but his stuff looked pretty rough to me. There was a guy on TGP that got a mangled Jazzmaster body with contours looking like they were done with a wood rasp. He was beside himself. I don't know how you will ever get the sides smooth short of using natural grain filler and keeping the sanding to just kissing the surface of the wood. There is so much smoothing to be done you'll drastically alter the contours if you try to sand all that tear-out from the guy's dull shaper bits.

File a too rough to finish claim, send it back for a refund and get this Zebrawood over ash body on eBay. It has the look you're after without torching the top and winding up with something you can't control. The seller (crane550) can route for F holes and any pickup combo you desire and price is negotiable.I can vouch for his work as I have bought multiple bodies from him, a couple of which went straight to finishing without even sanding they were so smooth. It is going to be heavier than a thinline but would really make a special guitar. Price is right around what you paid too.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=303094251317

[​IMG]

Here's a Strat body I got from him that I am working on, Chechen top over cherry. Neck is a custom made cherry with a Chechen fretboard to match the top. It's going to be spectacular. I did not even have to sand this body before my Danish Oil finish went on!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

BBQedIguana likes this.
  7. Buttered Biskit

Ugh! Now you got me second guessing keeping it! That guy's stuff looks very nice. I'm calling Supro-Tone friday and see what he has to say for himself because your right about the tearout on the sides. Although, I'd like to try my hand @ a burst finish too. Maybe clear to black?

8. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Meister

If you wind up returning the body, there are lots of options for a thinline.

As much as I dislike suggesting buying anything from China, it's pretty much unavoidable these days and honestly, the quality is crazy good when you spend a bit more. If you buy a body or neck for $30.00, you're asking for problems. Spend $100 and you're getting a pretty nice piece.

There's a buttload of unfinished import thinline bodies, flamed maple over mahogany. The Chinese seller songmaker has some listed and is a straight shooter. I've bought bodies and necks from them, all worth double what they sell them for and flawlessly machined and sanded. Some sharp fret ends on some necks but I just take a file and dress the ends and they're fine.

If you decided to go ahead with a standard solid body Telecaster, Eden Guitars is unbeatable. The finished bodies at $100 are perfect. I have a couple of them in the que right now for projects.

9. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Meister

Here's a link to that Supratone Jaguar body post at TGP I was telling you about. It's a good read. You can see the Supratone stamp in the neck pocket.

This was a made to order, not a stock off eBay deal so the owner didn't see what he was getting until it was too late. No, he didn't request a ruff-sawn semi-shaped body lol. Buyer said he tried sanding a bit, realized it was hopeless, contacted Supratone and the seller refused to take it back because he started sanding it. A real stand-up guy from the sounds of it. Be thankful the one you got is workable.

Pics say all there is to say. Gruesome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Buttered Biskit

Holy Molly! I wouldn't have touched that thing! Mine is workable. I was hoping the edges weren't so torn up but the fix is the dreaded sunburst finish! So here's the plan: char the grain, bury it in sanding sealer, level it out and spray the edges in tobacco brown, and finally a few coats of clear.

11. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Meister

I don't know about charring but any type of grain filler is going to work with a vintage sunburst. You're pretty much opaque in that area anyway unless you are planning on some sunburst highlights around the rim like on a Gibson semi-hollow.. Good luck with it and keep us posted on progress.

12. Buttered Biskit

Thanks and I will. This is what the forums are all about. I like helping people whenever I can and gaining knowledge from y'all folks.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.