Supposed 60s era body on frankenstein Tele. What do you think?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by jamdamage, Feb 18, 2020.

1. jamdamage

jamdamage TDPRI Member

Any of you guys seen neck heel markings like this? Thinking about trading some gear with this guy for his pieced together Tele. Dude says he bought the body from a guy who said it was a 60s model. The guitar is beat to hell, but I don't mind all the character. I pulled the neck off in hopes of seeing something and found this. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
    Here's some pics

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Welcome, jamdamage. I’ll bump it up.....looking at a refined partscaster, right?
    Fwiw, those are not neck heel marks, but rather that is the neck pocket you show us. Imho, that neck pocket has been cleaned of all original marks and factory paint residue. The curve comIng to the neck pocket on the bass side shows the elegant curve that was present prior to a change to a flatter curve circa 1970. not much info there...but the you are looking at a partscaster, right?
    If you can see a thick poly finish on that exposed area, you are possibly looking at a late ‘60’s body.

3. jamdamage

jamdamage TDPRI Member

Thanks for the info and education! The guy that owns it put me in touch with the previous owner who kept the neck/neckplate, claiming the serial on the plate was L62904 which seems to put it in mid 60s range. I was hoping to find some more solid evidence in the neck pocket.

4. Adam Wolfaardt

Adam Wolfaardt Tele-Meister

That serial number makes it an early 65

SheldonP likes this.
  5. Wally

and if the plate came with the body, then that is nitro lacquer under that bridge and in the cavities.

6. jamdamage

jamdamage TDPRI Member

I guess the nitro would help explain its rough appearance

7. Wally

Well, jamdamage, I will admit that I had another thread in mind when I typed that response. As for the ‘rough appearance, all I can see is some flat black on top of what appears to be a clear finish. If that clear finish is original, it will be nitrocellulose.

8. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Friend of Leo's

That curve on the upper bout does not look right to my eyes esp where it goes up to meet the body. Perhaps its just the angle from which the photo was taken tho the shape of the body looks wonky too IMO.

9. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

It looks to me like an alder body under refin paint The neckplate is meaningless as they're easily faked. White pickguard is right but we really need to see pics under the pickguard area.

It looks like the right placement of the router pilot hole in the pocket, and the remains of a stamp but the paint being cleaned out is alarm bells.

10. 63telemaster

63telemaster Tele-Meister

Nothing about those pics confirms it as being a Fender of any era. I would stay well clear of that deal.

11. Adam Wolfaardt

Router pilot hole in the pocket? I've never heard of that on a vintage fender

12. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I've seen it written up as both the original pin guide for the router table template drilled while the body is still a big block of wood, or also the paint stick screw hole. The flattened plastic conduit used to hold the body por painting was too narrow to span the neck bolt placing. This 75 has extra holes ostensibly for the same purpose.

NI9tegn_d.jpg

Either way, the fifth hole in the neck pocket is factory, of course it can be faked.

13. eMGee

eMGee Friend of Leo's

EaVPyR2g.jpg
    Seems that there is no "notch" on the bass side of the neck pocket (as in the photo above). If so, it's not a Fender body.

Adam Wolfaardt likes this.
  14. Adam Wolfaardt

In the 70s that might have been the case but on in the 50s and 60s. There are two holes on the back of the body which have been filled with dowels. My 55 has them and it doesn't have any extra holes in the neck pocket. The paint stick was attached (from early 63) using the existing neck screw holes so you wouldn't expect to see any extra holes on a pre CBS neck pocket

15. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Meister

No way to prove the date of that body IMO. If they are wanting 1965 body prices, I'd steer clear. If it's just partscaster prices, I might be interested.

16. CWP0126

CWP0126 Tele-Meister

Are any more pictures of this guitar available? When I click the link I only see two pictures, and neither of them are enough to provide any clues at all as to what this could be.

17. '51 geezer

'51 geezer Tele-Meister

I don't know a paint stick hole from my elbow, but, from the information provided, I would agree with other posters. Don't pay vintage money until you have gotten more confirmation than you have now. If it's priced like a nice partscaster, and, in fact, it is, buy it if you like it. Of course....you may miss out on a Holy Grail, but, you may miss out getting an extra paint stick hole also.
    Just my two cents worth and I guarantee, it's overpriced.

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  18. TheTransient

TheTransient Tele-Holic

That's not even close to being legit IMO. Looks like a cheap kit slapped together. The weird body shape, the cheap nasty bridge plate. Avoid.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.