Suppose your telecaster was worthless

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Yellowgq, May 10, 2021.

1. Yellowgq

Yellowgq NEW MEMBER!

Thanks for the insightful response, but why would there only be one or two makers? For example, Blue Tooth speakers have no used market and there’s dozens of producers?

AAT65 likes this.
  2. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I don't sell a lot, and I tend to prefer the mid-range offerings, which mean mostly MIJ, MIK and MIM these days. The lower end Squiers can be made to play and sound wonderful - certainly as good as anyone "needs", but jump up to some of the mid-range models and they start to speak to me. To be honest, most of the MIA Fenders today don't check any more boxes in tone, features, workmanship, etc. for me than the MIMs, MIKs and MIJs do.

I have an Am Std. Fender Telecaster, which I suppose is my most "high end" guitar. It's nice and plays and sounds well; but no more so than my MIK Fender Strat and Tele or my Squier Contemporary Strat (which has actually moved into my #1 position for the past few months - but that will change again ;) ).

Anyway - to get to the point - I don't sell much of my gear, unless its really been sitting around for a while unused - and I don't buy guitars based on collectability or perceived future value. If any of them were worth nothing in a few years (and some of them well may be) I would still have bought them.

Thorne likes this.
  3. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I never buy a guitar with resale or resale value in mind. I buy a guitar because I like it.

Tjeppen, Thorne, Manual Slim and 3 others like this.
  4. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Poster Extraordinaire

Fender is a legacy brand to the electric guitar/bass industry. For the large part the brand is still very much associated with the 50s-60s.
    I have about 10-15 years before that actually happens. That’s one of the reasons used pricing is rising so fast. It’s peaking ahead of the decline.
    My Telecasters will be worth much less, nearly nothing by the time my kid has to decide whether to sell them.

5. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

I've got a handful of boutique guitars that are worth about a third or quarter of what I paid for them. It doesn't stop me from buying more. I've found that in general, the more care I take in selecting a guitar and the more I pay for a guitar, the more I get exactly what I'm looking for and the less likely I am to sell it.

buster poser likes this.
  6. e23589

e23589 Tele-Meister

If guitars weren't Legacy items that could be handed down through the generations and were just throw away or recyclable the prices would be much cheaper!
    As it is the more worn and aged the higher the price and the more desired the guitar!

7. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Your washing machine, sofa and microwave are worth pennies because they no longer perform the function for which you bought them. As (most) Teles never reach that point, the question of having to dispose of it doesn’t’ arise.

bls82261 and sax4blues like this.
  8. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

That second line is just, well, that second line is just....................

Despres and trev333 like this.
  9. rstaaf

rstaaf Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I don't even think about what any of my guitars are "worth".
    I have a Squier CV50 that I treasure just as much as any of my American Teles.

I can honestly say that EVERY time I have sold a guitar, I have regretted it. :(
    I have not sold a guitar in probably 10 years, I haven't stopped buying them :cool:

Thorne and bls82261 like this.
  10. oregomike

oregomike Tele-Holic

I'm sure this has been said over and over, but I buy guitars to play, not as an investment. I'd buy enough guitars to cover my tuning needs.

Greggorios likes this.
  11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I hear you....

But i do remember when I was a kid, when people tossed "old" guitars in the trash, the same way they toss inexpensive bicycles away. Usually they were Harmony guitars or cheaper, but I've heard stories about some decent stuff being tossed, because the boy had enlisted and Mom just wanted the room cleaned out. Late 50s, early 1960s.

Greggorios likes this.
  12. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Wow, what a horribly dull and boring world it would be if every purchase were based upon a potential resell value or product lifespan. The single worse purchase most of us would make is buying a car. There's few things that lose value quicker than autos yet most of us still get excited about a new car.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
    JIMMY JAZZMAN and boris bubbanov like this.
  13. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Being as I mod the snot out of all my guitars, they are pretty much worthless anyway. Even parting them out I couldn't break even.

gtroates likes this.
  14. gtroates

gtroates Tele-Holic

I put more money into customizing and getting my guitars to work the way I want them to than I’ll ever get back in selling them. At this point I don’t buy new guitars, I have spent refret and rewiring money on all of them, some of them are on their third refret. I have four guitars with stainless steel refret jobs done on them. I could have sold them at the first sign of bad fret wear but I bought them all because they had necks and bodies that felt comfortable in my hands, a process of searching for the right fit that makes me keep them when I find them. I imagine that my personal customizing decisions won’t add resell value to anyone else, they probably would view them as parts guitars.

15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'm starting to re think even this. If supply stays limited and demand somehow continues as it has been the last 12 months, soon enough people will want our heavily modified guitars - we won't get quite as much as we might have, but maybe we will begin to "break even" in some instances.

16. Winky

Winky Tele-Meister

The longer I own a guitar, the more valuable it becomes TO ME. The market price is irrelevant in terms of that. I can't imagine ever selling one of my guitars. The only guitar I owned and that I don't still have was a junk-pile retrieval as a kid, just so I had something I could play with my friends, who were getting into it. It was objectively worthless, but even then, I actually wish I still had it.

JL_LI and radiocaster like this.
  17. MAXXFIELD

MAXXFIELD Tele-Meister

MOAR GUITORZ

18. Carbuncle

Carbuncle NEW MEMBER!

I've got an '85 MIJ contemporary Strat. Same as this one, with a couple more dings - but mine has the original trem.

Build quality it's bettered the two MIA guitars I've had (I '97 Strat Plus and more recently a AO 70's Tele Custom). I dunno. I got it for my 16th Birthday new, and tbh it's not my cup of tea looks wise, so sentimentality aside I'd trade it in. But it's resale value is crap. £500? Doesn't reflect the quality of the instrument, so I'll keep it. Which sort of answers the question?

19. wangdaning

wangdaning Tele-Meister

I think the question should be flipped and posed to washing machine manufacturers. If a company made a washing machine that did not become obsolete after 5 years would you buy it? If they offered to provide support and parts, etc. Or at least not use non-standard parts to make it harder to repair and maintain. I would happily keep using modern electronics if they did not make it near impossible to maintain them.

Thorne, NC E30 and JL_LI like this.
  20. chucker

chucker Tele-Meister

the great appeal of fenders is that they are period pieces, leo's products, and tube amps are also retro.
    you have to wonder when the time will come when the next quantum leap guitar hits the market, and then the old stuff could lose value. it will happen, tech does not stand still.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.