Suppose There Were No Guitar Solos In Music

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by JoesTele, May 7, 2020.

1. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

This has been quite the succesful troll post. Kudos to the OP.

I think the secret to a successful troll is to have a nugget of truth, or at least close enough that some readers will think there is a "good point even if they don't agree" - then the whole business is not automatically just deleted or rejected.
    Anyways, getting to 8 pages and counting - and lots of people taking you seriously - is pretty good "work" on your part.

2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I hope poor Joe gets whatever is wrong taken care of.
    He's really off his rocker. Could happen to any of us I suppose.

Does he realize he keeps saying the same thing over and over as if he was being informative?
    Plus being annoyed that we don't all agree?
    Almost like early onset Alzheimer's.
    Best to just pretend to agree if the matter has no consequence, aside from in his mind.

Maybe he just lost his partner or had some other life tragedy?

CapnCrunch likes this.
  3. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

The Clash wouldn't be the the Clash without Mick Jones's lead guitar style.

Iconic solo at 1:29. It's short, but it's there. And there's something at the end of the song too, which can possibly get extended live. In fact the whole part from 2:49 on is sort of a solo.

4. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

The first one you mentioned is the most throw-away better known song they ever did. Most of the stuff on Cut the Crap is better.

5. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Holic

How true, a great troll piece. It really is a controversial subject considering many of us made a living playing guitar and now some are actually agreeing with OP.
    Maybe a bass or drum solo would be a good subject too. Great way to clear a room.

6. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Afflicted

Didn't lose me! Most often he sounded like a strapped down cat getting his tail stomped!

7. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

Before guitars electrified they were mostly rhythm instruments IIRHC. There were plenty of solos, just not on guitar. Since this is a guitar forum I'd bet lot of people like them. Good rhythm and a good lead go together. A good song contains an instrumental break, but that is only my opinion.

8. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

It used to annoy me to have to play with musicians who have no musical antennae. Shoe-starers, boot-watchers, floor-inspectors, mind-wanderers, foggy-brainers, asleep-at-the-wheelers, thought-train delayers, eyes-closers, I've played with them all. Seriously, when I used to play in my 20s, when working with unfamiliar musicians, I would instantly try to set up lines of communication.

A simplistic example is when I would play a few quarter-note triplets, and a couple of bars later, the drummer drops into triplets in answer. I actually don't like guys who imitate others too faithfully and frequently.

brookdalebill and chris m. like this.
  9. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Some shoe starers are paying attention and grooving with the ensemble, but they’re just shy on stage... I’m guilty of pretty crummy stage presence....I just ain’t much of a front man.

10. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

you could use a volume pedal or a bend wheel to get some more nuance into it.

11. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

There's a local country swing group I've seen a couple times. Their guitar player has a favorite solo. It's not exactly RATC but it's close. He plays it exactly the same way in about 60% of their songs. Why mess with success I guess?

12. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

And accordion! Weird Al was ahead of his time!!

Gardo likes this.
  13. Jerry_Mountains

Jerry_Mountains Tele-Meister

C'mon why we doing this?! haha OP must be Danny Cedrone's grandson.

Don't be a snob man, imagine if someone says that they only like songs with guitar solos on them and if the song doesn't have a guitar solo is garbage, sounds stupid right?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.