Suppose if classic cartoon bands would use their impractical cartoon instrument set up for real...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Blazer, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

[​IMG]
    With Cartoons, depicting a band playing instruments, it's not really all about depicting them in a believable set up, just draw a guitar here and some drums there and that will do. If they got it right (such as the case for the Archies was) it was more often a case of having more luck than wisdom.

But most of the time, the bands that were depicted got VERY impractical instrument set ups which would never have worked in the day those cartoons came out and certainly not to play the kind of music they played in their respective cartoons.

But given this day and age with bands like the Yeah-yeah-yeah's, the Black keys, the Tings-tings and the more sophisticated technology of loopers and triggers at their disposal, all of a sudden even the most impractical band could actually do the songs they're doing in their respective cartoon series.
    [​IMG]
    So we have guitar, drums and two tambourines with Josie and the Pussycats.

With that instrument set up in this day and age they probably would have made it work with Josie making good use of loopers and Midi, Valerie using different kinds of percussion instruments, such as conga's and timbale drums to add flavor to the rhythm track and Melody using triggers on her kit, using those to trigger a bass sequencer to add low end.

[​IMG]
    The Jackson 5 cartoon shows just Jermaine (on the far left) playing bass and Tito (on the opposite end) play guitar with all of them doing harmony singing. The REAL Jackson 5 of course made due by having an extra drummer and keyboard player strengthen their ranks on stage to pull off their songs live.

But if we're going with what we have here, both Jermaine and Tito could make good use of Midi, triggers and a drum machine to actually pull off the songs with that sparse set up.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    2 Headed Goat likes this.
  2. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

being cartoon for kids that dont have a clue about how music instruments work let alone know how the real jackson 5 was set up on stage...i love the monkees then and now...but i never noticed sometimes there were no cords from the guitar and bass...these are details of adults...not kids

tintag27 and RodeoTex like this.
  3. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

steve vai said that seeing danny partridge's curly jack cord made him want to play guitar.

sorry, man, just a thought that floated up.

Digital Larry and Deeve like this.
  4. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

Not a cartoon, but I would also be interested in hearing someone make music with the instruments depicted in the Harry Potter movies.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  5. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Fat Albert and the Junkyard Band did it for years.

ftbtx, rz350, Old Deaf Roadie and 2 others like this.
  6. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's

I think many of the Backlund models would look at home onstage w/ Josie & the P*ssycats

@John Backlund - maybe a signature model?

Peace - Deeve

uriah1 and Chunkocaster like this.
  7. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I used to notice all the inconsistencies, then I realized I must be too old for cartoons.

O- Fender likes this.
  8. Brad Pittiful

thepartridge family first season and some of the second had great music...then it was like...these songs are horrible...not to mention they started playing ovation instruments...and then that ricky kid was singing stupid songs

9. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

yeah, wasn't "come on get happy" a partridge family song? what a fine, sweet pop song. I don't remember much else about their music.

10. Brad Pittiful

yes is it...here is their first album...almost no throw away songs

got this album as a family gift as a kid and still have it

thunderbyrd likes this.
  11. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Afflicted

12. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Meister

Side trivia that I'm reminded of... A college friend of mine from Fort Worth knew a bass player, who hung out at one of the local music stores, who was the studio bassist for the Archies recordings. I've heard that after having to deal with the real, human members of The Monkees, Don Kirshner decided a cartoon would be easier to control.

13. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

This reminds me of my dad telling me about he and his friend would put on the partridge family album and pretend to be the partridges when they were kids in the 70’s
    Ricky annoys the heck out of him

14. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

It’s kind of different but this reminds me of when I was a kid I’d watch la bamba and try to copy the fingerings on screen, only now knowing that the actors most likely weren’t playing the songs chord for chord in the films

15. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Also Stu Hamm said the red headed kid playing bass (Danny of course) made him pick up the bass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

That’s pretty much true. To be fair Kirshher didn’t really care about the talent those four had - they felt constrained. Apart from Davey the others treated him poorly, which from his point of view was ungrateful but from theirs was frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Brad Pittiful

me and some friends did that with the monkees

Fretting out likes this.
  18. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

The Banana Splits weren't really a cartoon but they played Vox so it would have sounded great !
    [​IMG]

19. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Ever seen modern music videos with real people? They are also often missing instruments that can be heard.

I think the Monkees sometimes didn't have the right instruments for the song either.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  20. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Tele-Meister

[​IMG]
    Can these guys join in?.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.