Supper Clubs

studio1087

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Does that term mean anything to you?

Have you enjoyed them?

Are there any left anywhere near your home?

Being that I’m a farm town boy from Wisconsin, we still have a bunch left. Good stuff, I think. Vinyl booths and breadsticks and veggie trays set out with a dipping sauce before the meal comes out. Old school. Wisconsin is kind of like a old-school Southhaven. I saw a TV commercial just now for a really old-school steakhouse and I thought “supper club“ and I wondered if fthey exist elsewhere.

Do tell.

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
Years ago I played in one. I was in a jazz combo in college and the regular band was out of town. The whole idea of it seemed dated to me in 1968. The band played during cocktails. An entertainer performed with the band during dinner. The entertainer circulated among the patrons during desert while the band drank at the bar. The experience was totally foreign to me.

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
I haven't seen one in decades in the Deep South. My dad used to gig at a few in Denver when I was young. I have vague memories of them.

kookaburra

Friend of Leo's
Growing up in Green Bay means I know well what they are! In Wisco in general there aren't as many as there once was, but they're still out there.

Phoenix is limited. The Pink Pony in Scottsdael was old school, but they're gone, and Durant's, just down the road from me on N Central is old school, but way overpriced. Everything else I've seen here is sort of "fake supperclub", although there may be some on the fringes.

kookaburra

Friend of Leo's
I grew up just south of the WI-IL border and know about Supper Clubs.

Have you ever seen the book about Wisconsin Supper Clubs?

I suspect that if a person gets too far away from the Great Lakes Region you won't find many.
I have seen that book! Of course, that just leads to a discussion along the lines of, "Hey, they left the such and such club out"...which they did, of course, haha!

I think that you're correct about getting away from the Great Lakes area. I've lived around the country, and while I've seem some elsewhere, there is nowhere near the density outside the Great Lakes, it seems.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
Never heard of them outside of Wisconsin. That one up by Road America is supposed to be great.

*Edit: Had to look it up. Schwarz's. Actually 10mi or so away from Elkhart. Supposed to be popular with visiting racers. That there's a menu.

Last edited:

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Use to be one in Houston called the Dean Goss dinner theater. Mostly over the hill TV stars doing a play after you ate I saw Woody Allen's Play it again Sam and was extremely sorry I went.

If you mean nice restaurants with music, I am unsure if Houston had any except one Italian place that had singing waiters.

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
Does that term mean anything to you?

Have you enjoyed them?

Are there any left anywhere near your home?

Being that I’m a farm town boy from Wisconsin, we still have a bunch left. Good stuff, I think. Vinyl booths and breadsticks and veggie trays set out with a dipping sauce before the meal comes out. Old school. Wisconsin is kind of like a old-school Southhaven. I saw a TV commercial just now for a really old-school steakhouse and I thought “supper club“ and I wondered if fthey exist elsewhere.

Do tell.

My favorite just closed. I had dinner the last night they were open at a table with the owner. I had a giant steak, and a grasshopper. Heaven.

dented

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
Growing up in NY there were a few and we went to them for special occasions. I'm sure it was way over my parents heads but we still got to go. When I was in college at Syracuse I worked for a year at the Leiderkranz Club a private membership supper club. I got paid well, tipped over board and ate well. When I moved to Los Angeles there were several dinner theaters that I frequented. Didn't see any supper clubs. I like the concept....ohhh I forgot about Magic Castle. We went there and it rocked.

Last edited:

Dennyf

Tele-Afflicted
Been to the EAA Oshkosh Fly-in a number of times (driving). I remember seeing supper clubs along the way, always wondered what they were. A restaurant? A VFW/American Legion/Eagles, but with food instead of booze? Do they only serve Supper? Do I have to be a member to get in? How do I join? Are there membership requirements? Do I pay a monthly membership fee that pays for all my suppers? Are there themes? Can I bring guests? Do they have to be "signed in?" The questions are endless.

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
Never heard of them outside of Wisconsin. That one up by Road America is supposed to be great.

*Edit: Had to look it up. Schwarz's. Actually 10mi or so away from Elkhart. Supposed to be popular with visiting racers. That there's a menu.

I've eaten there with my wife and a bunch of friends after superbike races. There was a wait for a table, but we spent it across the street in a garage full of classic bikes chatting up their owners. Great place.

Poster Extraordinaire
Pre parenthood, we would go out with 5 or 6 couples about 10 times per year. We would have a restaurant make about six courses for $100/head. We'd bring a bottle per person from our cellars. The typical wine would be $800 on a restaurant menu. It was a screaming bargain.

RodeoTex

Doctor of Teleocity
I gotta be dumb here, but what's the concept of a supper club? Does everyone just have whatever they are serving that night?
Please explain. Sounds maybe cool, but we've never had those here.