SUPERSWITCH: The Three Way Chronicles

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Tele-Meister, Sep 17, 2021.

1. Tele-Meister

Tele-Meister Tele-Meister

Hello there,

I'd love to get my hands on a three way superswitch: you can find 5 way's in spades, but I can't find any 3 way's. Basically it's a three way four pole switch. Any of you got one for sale, or know where to get them new? I found some on Alibaba, but the lever has a weird metallic green hue, but more importantly, it's so darn long!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...a5ba547-32&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id":"65085850049"}

Don't think it's made for any old control plate, but for wood instead. Anyways, enough rambling, if you guys got any idea of where to buy a normal telecaster switch but with 4 poles (not normal, it's a superswitch), that'd be great.

2. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Friend of Leo's

3. Tele-Meister

Ok I contacted them. On that website I saw they had one 3 position 4 pole switch, but the lever was 0.750" instead of 0.625... And, when I go on the "where to find it" page, I see many switches, but no 3 way four pole... I don't understand why a 3 way Telecaster superswitch is so hard to find, when a Strat superswitch is so easily found!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
  4. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have one. Think I got it from these guys: https://reverb.com/item/29056426-3-...er-tele-telecaster-guitar-w-black-top-hat-tip

It's an O-G, far as I can tell. The pic looks a bit weird, but in person it's a solid switch. I see they're sold out but maybe not forever?

Then there's this beauty from Illitch: https://www.ilitchelectronics.com/product/3way-4pole-tele-switch/ Pricey, but looks very nice.

And this from the UK: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=114998220557.

I wouldn't be too put off by the international. I buy the occasional part from Europe or the UK, and get it in 7-10 days, no problems.

5. moosie

It's not a Strat / Tele thing. It's just a generic 4P5T blade switch.

Tele-Meister likes this.
  6. moosie

However, the 3 way that I have may have in fact been a special order from O-G, with Teles in mind. Because they're running out of stock, one seller. And because they're unnaturally narrow, just like the 5-way super that Toneshapers special orders from O-G. That 5-way is the only one that fits properly in a Tele cavity without shorting against the shielding.

7. Tele-Meister

I might end up going for the Göldo double wafer even though it's 60 bucks... Thanks @Bearzooka.

Also thank you @moosie for the info! The 2nd EBAY link you sent me has the exact problem I was talking about: you see, the three way switch has an unnaturally longer lever shaft than the 5 way one... very annoying! Don't really want to hack away at a switch lever... I found the exact same one on Alibaba, for cheap. It's just I'd have to cut the lever. The illitch is expensive, so is the Göldo, but the Goldo comes out to be cheaper. So probably that's the one for me. I'll wait for the guys on Reverb to answer me back about that switch that you got. Thanks!

8. moosie

Huh, my switch has the elongated neck (er, lever), too. Kinda weird.

I can't tell if I'd need to cut it, or if I might not mind it...

Sorry if I misled you. I often buy parts just for inventory, with no current need. I have about three dozen blade switches of all types (O-G, CRL). I heard these were available, thought "cool", and stuffed it in the drawer. I did inspect it, but perhaps because it came with a black round Tele tip attached, I didn't notice it. Just assumed it wasn't pushed all the way down.

What's even stranger is the mounting screws it came with. They're about twice as long as they should be, and when screwed all the way down, they push against two of the common lugs, causing a short to ground. I'm beginning to think these were not a special order at all, but a knock-off. What fooled me is the wafer looks exactly like some of my O-Gs, and the action is perfect. Very positive click, but not too tight. It sure seems to be a well-copied knock-off, if that's what it is, except for these odd bits.

Tele-Meister likes this.
  9. garrett

garrett Tele-Afflicted

What sort of pickup combos are you going for? The Schaller Megaswitch T can do a few tricks.

10. moosie

I just looked at their documentation, and even though they focus on all the things it can do, I'm not seeing that it's any different from a regular Tele 3-way. Namely a 2P3T blade switch.

Am I missing something?

Tele-Meister likes this.
  11. Tele-Meister

I just need a three way switch with four poles. Anyone would do. It just can't be wonky of course, like @moosie was talking about: weird screws, lever too long. You know the good ol' 0.625" lever switch 3 way goodness but with 4 poles!

12. Tele-Meister

Yeah me too. I heard you can take the Megaswitch S+T three way, and the Megaswitch M (has 4 poles I believe, or more maybe), and you can unscrew the PCB boards. But the big Megaswitch M one on the Megaswitch S+T three way lever, and you got yourself a Megaswitch M Three Way. I don't understand how this works though: how do the terminals on the PCB connect with the new three way lever? Aren't they wired up or something? Can't just be screws? Maybe I'm wrong, hope so, because this seems viable.

13. moosie

Where does Eyb fit into Schaller? Same company? A guitar mfr that uses Megas?

The Eyb site talks about Megaswitch 3.0, and the T appears to have four extra connections A, B, C, D. But it's unclear how these are incorporated into the switch.

What's also strange is that the Schaller site makes no mention of Mega 3.0, or A-D lugs on the T.

14. garrett

garrett Tele-Afflicted

Megaswitch T can do a series position 2 and some coil splitting for humbuckers. Maybe those are normal things. I haven't done much experimenting with three-way switches. But that's why I'm asking what the end-goal is. Maybe a four-pole switch isn't needed.

The Megaswitch M is a great switch, though. It's very slim; it easily fits on a plate even with an angled cutout. If you're not totally opposed to a five-way, I can always find things to do with the extra two positions.

For modding it to a three-way, they do come apart easily. Two screws attach the switch to a PCB. I suppose you would just swap the mechanicals of the T onto the board of the M. Then ignore the pads for positions 2 & 4 when wiring.

The blade rotates a disc with metal contacts on it. They in turn touch the corresponding paths on the PCB. So it stands to reason that a three-way switch would simply skip over the traces for positions 2 and 4.

15. Tele-Meister

Interesting! So yeah that is a viable option! It's a little expensive, you know, buying two Schaller switches, but I suppose I can assemble the "remains" too: 5 way switching from the M + the PCB board of the T= A nice 5 way switch!

I was told I need a 4 pole switch for my wiring idea. I talked it over with the nice guys of GuitarNuts, and one awesome user even made a schematic for me and yeah, there is a need for four poles. Thanks for all your help @garrett! I will buy the Schaller switches and do this if I can't find the three way I'm looking for.

garrett likes this.
  16. moosie

Yes, those can be done with any standard 3-way 2-pole blade switch.

It's very difficult to talk about the switches this way: only in terms of use cases.

It's like asking about the specs of a new car, and being told it can drive to this place, or to that place... And then questioning that, and being asked "So, where do you wanna go?"

I would really like to find out how the dang switch WORKS, but even the Schaller site talks only in these terms.

Keep in mind, I'm generally not a fan. (Was it that obvious?) I still want to understand them, though, in case they do something unique.

I do own one custom 8-pole Mega that I ordered years ago direct from Eyb. Never used it, too big for anything, but I thought it'd be cool to have one in the parts drawer, just in case. [ And I just looked for it, and can't find it. Hmmm ]

What I noticed immediately is that it's literally shop-made, not factory-made. Instead of tight rivets like OG and CRL use, it's simply bolted together. This may be thought of as a feature, to easily mod it, but that strikes me as more for testing than production use. Mine is very 'rattly'. When it changes positions, it sounds like it's chain-driven. Not the firm, quiet 'snick' that Fender players take for granted.

beanluc likes this.
  17. moosie

Annoying, but you could always use a standard super switch, and wire positions 3,4,5 all the same. Or 2,3,4, whichever. Just slam through, treating it as a single position. That'll be cheaper than multiple Megas.

If you do that, and it's going in a Tele cavity, get the narrow version that Toneshapers.com specially orders from O-G.

18. garrett

garrett Tele-Afflicted

I hear ya. I think the S, T, etc. are aimed at novice solderers who don't care or would get too frustrated trying to understand how it works. I guess you'd have to buy one and trace the connections. Probably not worth it with the T since it doesn't seem to do anything special. The M is just four-pole like a super switch, albeit with the contacts in different places.

I don't have any problem with the feel, but the Megaswitch uses a leaf spring/ball bearing arrangement vs. the good ol' coil spring of classic switches. The whole mechanism is certainly over-engineered.

I agree on the Toneshapers Narrow Oak Grigsby. It's definitely my favorite blade switch. If only they made it in a three-position config, @Tele-Meister would be in heaven! ;)

moosie likes this.
  19. moosie

We still haven't heard what the OP is trying to do (or did I miss it?) So GuitarNutz said four poles. They're probably right, but it would be nice to get the requirements... We might be able to offer better alternatives.

garrett likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.