Superstitions?

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by christhee68, Jun 22, 2015.

1. christhee68

christhee68 Friend of Leo's

I was talking to one of the guys in our band about our upcoming gig and how we should set up the stage.

Last time we played there we put the drums in the corner and set up facing the crowd (seated at tables and chairs) at an angle.

Since then I've seen photos of other bands there where they set up straight against the wall and faced the audience directly.

I told him we should do that too, since it will probably look better and sound better to the audience.

He said, "I don't want you to think I'm being difficult, but the only way I can play there is set up diagonally in the corner. That's the only way I've ever done it and I can't do it any other way."

Do you guys or your bandmates have any peculiarities or superstitions?

2. Paleolith54

Paleolith54 Tele-Meister

I have several peculiarities, no superstitions.

3. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I have this weird idea that it's bad luck if I don't practice a lot.

4. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Never play a gig with an unstrung guitar. LOL

I can't even imagine being that fussy about where I set up considering all the gigs I've played on stages the size of shoe boxes or the one wedding gig where the wedding planner had set up the cake and gift table where the band was to set up and refused to move it forcing a 5 piece band to set up on an 8 foot wide balcony and two side rooms 15 feet above the dance floor.

To this day I can't even fully describe how ridiculous it was with breaking out laughing. We had the vocalist standing on the balcony with the PA, the drums and bass in one side room and the guitar and keys in the other passing hand signals back and forth through the vocalist. It was absurd.

5. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Nah. Just superstitious nonsense ;)

6. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

I wear red socks. I don't believe it but I feel better performing if they're in.

7. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

I have a few:

A friend since high school was the one who got me playing guitar. I call him on the way to every gig, even if I wind up just leaving a message.

Up until recently, I'd worn the same shoes and socks to every gig. The shoes finally fell apart (on the way home from an acoustic duo) and the socks are on borrowed time.

If there's a bit of a drive, I listen to the Stones' "Let It Loose" on the way to the gig.

8. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Not superstitions, but definitely habits and rules.

Every time I load the van, I stare at the load, and say everything out loud.

"I have two guitars, a head, a cab, speaker cable, guitar cables, pedal board, power cables, mic, mic stand, mic cables... " and the list goes on.

If I've forgotten something it sticks out like a sore thumb. I do it every load in and load out. Just look at everything in the van, and go over it all, out loud.

I never let ANYONE help carry my gear in or out. Every time I do, something gets left behind or torn up. Every time, without fail.

9. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Same here. I build the whole stage setup from scratch.

In my own band I always set up stage right, and prefer that when I jam with others, but if it doesn't end up that way I don't get all freaked out.

I don't have much at all for superstitions for music, but back when I was playing sports, oh yeah. The order you get dressed, adjusting equipment, etc. It used to really bother me if I didn't do it exactly the same way each time.

Cheers,
    Doug

10. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Not so much the gig, but I'm very methodical when I trash hotel rooms.

11. MDMachiavelli

MDMachiavelli Tele-Afflicted

I'm a creature of habit, so I like things the same. It has nothing with superstitions, I just like things to be regular.

12. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

Yep, sounds like me. My ritual is to talk through the entire path a note takes from my hand to the listener: "I hold a pick to pluck the strings; if a string breaks, I've got spares; the guitar hangs from a strap; a cord connects the guitar to the tuner, then through other little cords to the pedals, then to the amp head. The amp head plugs into an extension cord, and a speaker cord takes the sound to the cabinet."

If I don't do this, I forget something -- guaranteed.

13. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

I refuse to touch the Stanley Cup until I win one: I won't pose with it, handle it at a friend's party, nothing. Weird but true! :)

14. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

My 'thing' is I don't play until after I wash my hands.

Drummers in the corner? Dunno about that.

15. poiureza

poiureza Tele-Holic

Oh yeah same here

I always have a pick in my trousers' pocket.
    Regardless if I'm playing or being at work or whatever.

Every time I delve in my pocket I think "oh yeah I'm a guy who plays guitar actually". It's a nice thought

16. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

I do exactly the same thing.

And to up the ante, I always have two extra picks in my pocket. Not one. Not three. Two. I've never had to use them, but I feel better knowing they are there.

17. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

I like to work SOLO most of the time for load-out and load-in.

As Anal as it sounds, it is all about where it goes NEXT that rules my World.
    I've done this long enough that I know what I need First, Second, Third, ....
    Things get moved in a Certain order so I don't have to move anything twice.

When I go home, same thing.

Too many bands treat their gear like they are spreading bark dust, stuff everywhere.

18. LeeVegas

LeeVegas Tele-Meister

It's bad luck to be superstitious.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.