Superscope 300 Music Rehearsal CD Player/Recorder

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Dana, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Dana

Dana Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

Anyone own/have any experience with one of these. Looks like a great practice tool. But $1000 bucks?

Musicians can play along with any music CD and change the music's tempo -33% to +50% without changing key. Change key without affecting tempo as much as an octave in half steps. Fine tune any song. Select A-B practice loops. Even reduce lead vocals all in real time. Create a stereo mix of live accompaniment with music on CD and record the mix directly to CD-R and CD-RW discs that will play back in most any CD player. An internal microphone, XLR and ¼" mic/line inputs and digital input/outputs provide maximum versatility for making great CD-quality digital recordings. Monitor recordings using headphone out, the built-in speaker, or external speakers. Duplicate CDs at 2X speed (half normal time) or use half-speed duplication to copy music for transcription. IR remote is included and case and start/pause foot pedal are optional accessories.

Use this portable system to: · Record live direct to blank CD-R (write once) or CD-RW (rewritable) discs; Functions like a tape recorder
    · Plug microphones directly into the unit for stereo recording without the need for a separate mic preamp and mixer
    · Play any music CD and manipulate the key and tempo, create practice loops, or reduce lead vocal tracks all on the fly. Record with CD accomapaniment. · Duplicate CDs at 2X speed
    · Make half-speed duplicates of CDs for transcription

2. Ed N.

Ed N. TDPRI Member

Marantz

I've got the Marantz PSD230--paid about $450 for it two years ago when it was new. I recommend it--if only I had this when I was learning 5-string banjo!

It's great for figuring out leads quickly via looping. You can tune the cd to your guitar, slow it incrementally to half tempo without key change or change key if you want.

The new model you're looking at adds recording & CD burning to the PSD230 feature set BUT at twice the price.

Not worth it IMO--too many great 16+ digital track recorders/burners out there for under $900 that provide you with incredible home recording capability.

Check out www.janetdavismusic.com for more on Marantz gear.She's got the PSD230 for $449.00. :)

3. James W

James W Tele-Meister

My work has a Marantz CDR300 that is the model below the one you mentioned and about $300 cheaper. We use it to record workshops and other events (we're a nonprofit organization so we do a lot of these types of things).

http://www.marantzpro.com/Products/CDR300.html

I like it mostly because of its portable nature (it's more rugged than other CD recorders and you can run it off of a battery pack) and its versatility (most CD recorders have only basic line-in, the CDR300 has XLR input in addition to RCA and 1/4"). In general it's well suited to live recording.

The CDR300 lacks the additional CD drive (?) and doesn't have all those other features like looping and pitch changing so I guess all I can say is that the Superscope's little brother is cool for recording.

Whether you buy one will depend on what you need. If you're just looking to transcribe solos and learns songs or play along, check out the Tascam's CD-GT1.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...017371501/g=home/search/detail/base_id/101567

It has all of those slow-down and loop features without the recording. There have been some pretty postive review of it on the Review Zone.

http://www.tdpri.com/reviewpost/showproduct.php?product=73&sort=1&thecat=998

Heck, for the price of the Superscope you can get the CDR300 AND the CD GT1!

Anyway, there's some more options for you.

--James W

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.