Supernova: My Take on a Tele

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Ripthorn, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Thanks! I really enjoy guitar design, so all my designs tend to be a little unusual. I've got three new designs since I designed this one that will get some work going on them this year. One is a bass, one is a short scale jazz-ish guitar, and one is a retro-inspired six string. Should be fun!

2. mefgames

mefgames Friend of Leo's Double Platinum Supporter

Looking forward to seeing the next chapter in this build. Any news on the horizon ?

3. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

The update is thusly: I finally got all the finish sprayed, only to have delamination problems. I had to strip it entirely for the second time, and by that point my life got consumed by moving. Our new house won'tbe readyfor as while, so this could is on hold for a couple months, at least. I did a very quick mockup and it should look awesome. I can't wait to give it a whirl!

John Nicholas likes this.
  4. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Pictures first, story later:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So finishing this guy was kind of my boogeyman. Between building a new house, moving, and the color I chose, I ended up stripping/refinishing the body about 8 times and it is still far from perfect. Here goes the tale.

I found a color I loved: Ford Wimbledon white. I used a white primer coat and then color coats. All was going well. Then I started shooting clear coats. I kept getting a couple of tiny black flecks in the clear, which meant I had to sand back. Due to the bevels and points, I sanded through in some places, requiring refinishing. I finally had it sprayed beautifully, but within a week or two, I had to pack up so we could move out of our old house. We were homeless for a month until our new house was built, and by the time I got the body out of storage, something had reacted with the lacquer, necessitating more refinishing. Finally, I just decided to go with what I had and that a finished guitar with imperfect finish is better than nothing.

Boy am I glad I did that. This thing twangs like nobody's business. Beautiful sound, light weight, I love how it looks, just very pleased all the way around. However, there were some oopsies, like the headstock where I laid it out for strings on the wrong side of the E and A strings...[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is very light. So light, in fact, that I decided to weigh it:

[​IMG]

Now, here are some notes/lessons learned/what I would do differently on another one, in no particular order:

- The stainless steel frets weren't that bad, but I did buy them pre-radiused

- I used translucent "smoked" acrylic for the pickguard and cavity cover. it looks really cool, but you have to be a little neater with it, and it was a mild pain to work with. Also, I did the 12th fret inlay with it and you can see the variation in the thickness of the epoxy under it. Not too bad.

- The baby grand bridge is really nice. Like, really.

- The pickups are Iron gear Steel Twin II's and they sound fantastic. They have true coil tapping, so there is vintage and overwound sounds on a single pickup, thus the two toggles. They are on/off/on to allow for each pickup to be vintage/off/overwound.

- I would do a thicker body next time. This one clocks in around 1.4-1.5, and i would do it about .125" thicker next time, perhaps a shade more.

- I would do something just a little heavier for the body. There is some neck dive. Not terrible, but not the best

- Obviously fix the headstock layout for straight string pull

- The roasted maple looks great

- The knobs look good, but might be slightly out of scale

- I love the contours, but the little carve away near the strap button behind the bridge was a pain to work with. Might not be worth doing again.

- Push/pull post and a 3 way toggle would be better. It would give me more room for the output jack, which I was able to barely make work here thanks to angling the switches

Again, I'm totally pleased. It plays fantastically well. The action is actually a little too low for me, I need to raise the bridge a hair, but it is light, snappy, comfortable, and is just everything I would want in a tele sound and ergonomics wise. Thanks for following along!

5. ctmullins

ctmullins Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Wow, I love it! I wasn’t here in 2017 to see the start, but I’m glad to see it finished! Two years isn’t too bad really. Nice work, congratulations!

Seedpicker likes this.
  6. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

That's outstanding! And your choice for the bridge was perfect for the body shape. Wowsa! Very inspiring!

Seedpicker likes this.
  7. mefgames

8. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

That is just rippalicious!!

9. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Friend of Leo's

Wow! That came out awesome! It all just works.

As a suggestion, why don't you just turn the tuners on the E and A string the other way? It's your guitar and once you tune it a few times it will work every time!

Super light is awesome. As for the heck heavy feel, either the headstock is a little big or the upper bout needs to be moved more towards the headstock. At least on the next iteration of the build.

It looks great! Enjoy!

10. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Wikkid!

11. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    That turned out great. Nice design.

12. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the replies, all!

Part of the neck heavy is the 24 frets and then the small, light body. It's fine, though. I mostly play sitting down, and it's not noticeable then.

13. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I like everything about it. Truly inspiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I love it, great job!!

15. mefgames

Another impressive build. Looks super !!

16. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

17. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

I LOVE the baby grand. It paired very nicely with a GFS mini humbucker on a jazz guitar I did.
    [​IMG]

Jim_in_PA likes this.
  18. Seedpicker

Seedpicker TDPRI Member

So lemme just say ditto to everybody, gorgeous! I enjoyed reading the whole thread. Ok most of it. Did you say what program you used to design and draw your project up?

19. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

I use inkscape, free and easy to use.

20. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

The spacing and location of the switches and output Jack are what requires the most consideration if I were to do a second one.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.