*Super* switch for strats?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Scantron08, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Scantron08

Scantron08 Tele-Afflicted

I ordered a strat switch and I think what is being sent to me is this:

http://www.allparts.com/4-Pole-5-Way-Super-Switch-p/ep-0078-000.htm

"4-pole?" "Double-wafer?" "Super switch?"

Wth is this? Is it a standard switch? If not, can I use it at all for standard strat wiring?

Here's the sister thread to this one: http://www.tdpri.com/forum/stratocaster-discussion-forum/309826-linear-taper-v-audio-taper-pots.html
    Why is all of this so complicated - why can't I just order strat pots and a strat switch? My head hurts.

2. Phostenix

Phostenix Tele-Afflicted

You can use the Super Switch, but it will wire a little differently than a standard 5-way. And you won't use all of the terminals.

It's complicated because people want different things. Flexibility breeds complexity. :)

3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

IF you wanted a 'straight' 5-way Strat swtich, then you might not be happy with this SuperSwitch. FWIW, I have used these switches....and I find them rather restrictive. I can do more with push/pulls and mini-switches...and a standard 5-wat selector. Ex: I have a strat with 16 sounds....everything from authentic vintage Strat sounds to a 'bigger' Gibson type of sound to a Gretsch sounds....to some sounds that one can't put a 'brand' name on. All sounds are humbucking.....yes, authentic STrat sounds that are humbucking! (;^)
    I A/B'd it against a 1959 Strat that was in for a refret/set-up job.

FWIW, there is a way to wire that switch for 'normal' STrat sounds. IT is an expensive switch to use for that purpose, though.

4. Scantron08

Scantron08 Tele-Afflicted

Great, that's what I was afraid of. It appears you need custom slot size, screw spacing, and cavity depth.

5. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I used the StewMac 4P5W version and made the middle position bridge/neck. Also wired the back tone pot to the bridge. If you don't mind losing the middle-pup-only option it's a great mod (I love bridge/neck tone). This switch fit fine in my MIJ '68 reissue (1988) with no routing or changes to the control plate.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electro...nd_knobs/Megaswitches/Megaswitch_E-Model.html

On my other Strat I used a push/pull on the bridge tone pot to get the neck/middle option.

6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

That switch should not require any mods to the pickguard. I have seen some control cavities that would not accept it without a bit of wood removal...but that is rare. IT is not a depth but rather the width of the cavity that is the issue.

7. Jack FFR1846

Jack FFR1846 Tele-Afflicted

You can use it as a normal SSS switch. The only thing you're not using it for, really, is grounding the center tap of the hum for position #2. You will have to do some jumping of terminals because the superswitch (at least the musicman version I just put in a HSS strat) doesn't bridge between 2 terminals. You do that with wire ties, knowing that the terminal that goes to the output pot also goes to the terminal across from it. A knowledge of drawing at least a switch schematic to know what's switching what and where you'll need to bridge are a big help.

I will totally agree that the normal bridging type strat switch is way simpler for a typical SSS application.

I did not find that I had any problem with cavity depth or pickguard holes/slots.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.