Super-Sonic 22 reverb wacky-ness

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by LandryS, Jan 29, 2020.

1. LandryS

LandryS TDPRI Member

Hey, so I’ve got a story to tell just in case YOU are ever in a situation where your reverb doesn't work on a Fender RI amp...

I own a 2014 Super-Sonic 22 1x12 that I like a lot (has the Jensen SD in it, which is dope), but I was looking to trade up. Got in touch with a guy that wants to trade his Tone King Falcon Grande for my amp (plus $) because its my dream amp. Problem was my reverb wasn’t working on my SS (didn’t work when I bought it off Craigslist). I assumed it was a faulty tank, because when I cranked the verb knob and tapped the tank I got splashing, but no verb when I was actually playing. So I bought a new tank to fix it up before I traded it...

When the new tank arrived, the SAME thing happened. No verb, but got splashing when I tapped the tank. So weird. Even switched the tubes around to see if it was a faulty tube, even thought they all looked fine. I even switched the RW audio cables around to check for faulty cables.

Nope, same thing.

So, I’m worried that it’s an internal problem that will cost $bucks$, and I got discouraged. However, I decided to puttz around and switch the RW cables on one side — I plugged white plug into red, and red into white, but only on the tank inputs. I left the amp inputs plugged into the correct colors..

And it WORKED.

My conclusion: The factory worker who made my amp put the wrong plastic colors in the input jacks. I even looked up the schematic online and confirmed this — the white should be on the left, and the red on the right going into the amp, but mine is reversed. It’s so stupid, and I can’t believe that I didn’t think to try this when I first got the amp. How silly.

Anyway, just thought I’d share.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  2. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Cool when it's something simple.

LandryS likes this.
  3. BlueCajun

BlueCajun Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

The first SS22 I owned a few years ago had an issue with the stock Ruby tank. So I replaced it with one made by MOD. Now that you mention it, I want to say the red and white jacks on the MOD were reversed from that of the Ruby. I realize that's not the same situation as yours. But I mention it because the second SS22 I owned had a different brand tank. Maybe Fender changed brands at some point? If so, I wonder if yours was made around the time of the swap.

4. LandryS

LandryS TDPRI Member

Yeah, my tank was Accutronics, which I think is standard now. But yeah, its weird! Unless the previous owner swapped a Ruby out of it before I got it? Maybe, but I think that the only explanation was that the factory worker at Fender messed up the plastic colors. Anyone else had something like this happen before?

BlueCajun likes this.
  5. Ditchgator

Ditchgator TDPRI Member

Landry, did you make the trade, and if so, your comments?
    The TKFG is also on my radar as an amp that personally would like to try out.
    ;):cool:

6. LandryS

LandryS TDPRI Member

I made the trade! The Falcon Grande sounds super killer! There is a weird mid-bass response that is louder than I was expecting, but I think it’s because of the pickups in my strat. The Ironman is also dope for cracking the beast at bedroom volumes. Would highly recommend!

Ditchgator likes this.
  7. Ditchgator

Ditchgator TDPRI Member

Thanks for the input.
    Was going to pull the trigger on the TKFG last X-Mas, but didn't want to wait as it was a pre-order where I do my business.;):cool:
    Gonna get one as they are now in stock!

8. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

I lost reverb on my PRRI back along and the issue was the cables(which I replaced) not the tank(which I suspected was the problem).

9. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Afflicted

Hello IT Dept! It's not working, eh?

Have you checked the cables at the back? :rolleyes:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.