Super Single-Ended Project

capohk

Tele-Meister
my previous post I talked about building my Class A single ended amp after reading a book by Dave Hunter ( UK ) Guitar Amp Handbook. My tube configuration is 5Y3, KT66 and 12Ax7.
speakers are Jensen 16 ohms for 10” and 8 “ speakers
this amp can rattle the windows on compress you chest when
turn it up or be mellow and soft. Speakers can be played in pair
or single with a two phase switch.
That's pretty reassuring then :D

Tele Slacker

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
If you’re settled on ss rectification, ignore this post. But I *think* I recall Steve Melkisethian (Angela Instuments) suggesting in that TAVA podcast that the only reason he suggested two (2) 5y3 rectifier tubes was because he had beaucoup inventory of 5y3 that he was trying to move.

I suspect you could build it with just one (a 5e3 has just one). But admittedly, I have done zero math/research.

Again, if you’re settled on SS rectifier… then no matter.

whatever the case… I’m subscribed to this thread. Looking forward to seeing the result!

Last edited:

Esquier

Tele-Meister
Sorry, I never read all of the above, but I built a Dual Single Ended amp from the Angela print and the Dave Hunter book "2-stroke" amp about 12 years ago and I'll do it again this year but with trem included. I used a Weber Deluxe PT, Hammond 125ESE, and a big choke. This is also quite a bit like the Weber 5F2H (harmonica amp). The Chinese Weber PT is nice because it has two sets of secondaries and also a 5V rectifier winding and 125VAC primary. I only put in a single rectifier socket and used a 5Y3 and also used the lower secondaries and ended up with about 375 B+. For 10 years now, it's been a sort of 6G3 clone, but I want a single ended amp again! I used separate cathode resistors and caps on the 6V6s so that you can try a single 6L6 or a 6V6 as well, and there are multiple taps on the OT so you can get the correct one for what you've got plugged in to the sockets. I also used an octal socket in parallel with the V1 noval socket like Steve Ahola recommends.