Super simple router sled (planing jig)

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by mo62987, Mar 21, 2019.

1. mo62987

mo62987 Tele-Meister

Here's my take on a bare bones diy router planing sled. There's a few other threads on how to make a really nice planing jig, namely these two from Mat UK and fabricator:

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/another-router-sled.730417/
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/new-router-sled.709129/

But this'll do. Built this with some stuff I had laying around:
    • Scrap 1/2" plywood, ~16" x 24" if I remember correctly
    • Length of 1x3 select wood (already very square and straight)
    • Few sheetrock screws
    Will let the pics speak for themselves. The piece on top is a guide for straight (enough) passes. And the screw heads on either end of the top act as stops. Cut the top slot just wide enough to drop a 1-1/2" planing bit in. The important part to remember is that you'll need a flat reference surface when using it. Already had a nice flat workbench to use this with.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And this is how my tester blank (made with scrap 2x4's) turned out after a pass:
    [​IMG]

Not too shabby. The ridges the bit left sanded right out. The only thing i had to worry about was not putting too much downward pressure on the router as i ran it across. The top would give just a bit if i did. 3/4" ply prob would have been a better choice.

eallen, Mat UK and Mr. Neutron like this.
  2. Mr. Neutron

Mr. Neutron Tele-Meister

Being a retired machinist getting into woodworking, I am a TOTAL Woodworking Dork. Hence, the inevitable stupid question: Can you use this to plane a board (or glued together boards down to a required thickness, for, say, a guitar or cabinet doors?

3. mo62987

mo62987 Tele-Meister

Yeah this is just a planing jig. You can really only take off about 1/16" at a time safely, so keep that in mind. If you've got a 1/2" or more you need to shave off, you could do it with this. But it definitely would take a while. I will be using this to flatten/plane guitar body blanks. The drawback to this method is it's bound to leave those ridges after each pass, so there is some extra sanding effort required after.

Mr. Neutron likes this.
  4. mo62987

mo62987 Tele-Meister

Mr. Neutron likes this.
  5. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I think this is the first time my works ever been referenced... I feel honoured! Glad it was of some use - @fabricator thread was what I based mine on - so more credit to him!

Looks great, you could consider adding a few perpendicular spines to the underside/topside to stiffen the top up?

old wrench likes this.
  6. mo62987

mo62987 Tele-Meister

Well when i searched, yours was the first result (haha!). Seriously, both designs and builds are great. If i get too deep in this thing, I'm sure I'll go there eventually.

Will probably go back and add these on the top (not really enough clearance to get much underneath)

Mat UK likes this.
  7. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Silver Supporter

This kind of jig has been around since the mid 80's at least. I saw it used in the " methods of work" section in Fine Woodworking Magazine back then. It was used to mill cypress clocks back when they were a thing.

Rigidity is your friend when doing this kind of thing. The more rigid, the less sanding. A bowl bit with rounded edges will leave a cleaner surface. Funny how this jig really has taken off due to the internet.

Mr. Neutron likes this.
  8. mo62987

mo62987 Tele-Meister

Hmmm, makes sense. All the DIY how-to's use the bottom cleaning bit. Wonder why none of them use the bowl bit?

I'm pretty new to woodworking in general so every bit of advice is an epiphany!

Mr. Neutron likes this.
  9. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Silver Supporter

10. Mr. Neutron

Mr. Neutron Tele-Meister

Ahh, cool, Thanks for that!!! I saw no cutter, or router, and lacking imagination and intellect, couldnt figure out how it worked. :confused: o_O

So then, were your cuts made across the wood's grain?

Added in EDIT: Is there some overlap in each pass?

11. mo62987

mo62987 Tele-Meister

@Mr. Neutron - Sorry, yeah i forgot to grab a pic with the router actually ON the sled. I made the passes across the grain because that's the direction my body blank fit best. Not sure if that's the BEST way or not.

See the threads i linked in the original post for a better understanding of how it works.
    And see @guitarbuilder 's input on using a bowl bit instead of the bit I linked. I tried to have some overlap in an effort to knock down some of the ridges it left, which worked a little. I guess if you go with the bowl bit you'll definitely need some overlap.

Mr. Neutron likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.