1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

super reverb weber speaker swaps?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by adjason, Oct 6, 2011.

1. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I've got a 67 super reverb that a tech went through and gave it a cap job etc. I put 4 alnico blue eminence speakers in it. These replaced the aftermarket jbls that came with it when I bought it. Anyway these are my first experience with alnico speakers and my first experience with 10 speakers but there is something about the tone I do not like. It is kind of fizzy sounding when using an overdrive pedal. I keep coming back to the crappy stock ceramic speakers in my 76 twin reverb as being the better sounding amp. So I am considering selling off two of the speakers and replacing them with weber 10F150's (Or maybe 10f125's or CTC10's). I keep thinking there has got to be something wrong that I don't love the tone from this amp. Anybody have any experience with any of these webers? (I remember loving some weber 12f150's a while back and am hoping for a similar kind of tone) Thanks for any advice.

2. Sombrero Top

Sombrero Top Tele-Meister

3. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

I use a Blue frame and a 10F150T in a 210 that I like a lot. FWIW.

I used to have a Pro Tube Super and had 2 of the blue frames and 2 P10R RI Jensens and liked that a lot.

All that said, are you wiring them correctly to the right impedance?

Supers are 2 OHMs right? You wired to 2 ohms.

Also, maybe a copper cap will tighten it up for you. That is a tube rectifier, yo using a GZ34? Also, how is it biased ? Maybe too hot.

4. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

I've got two 10A125s in my '73 SFSR. Once they come in they are awfully good.

5. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Love my old CTS alnicos 10's in my silverface..had one reconed recently...too big to take out..but great amp.

6. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

My SFSR has a reconed CTS alnico, a Mojo something or other and two Weber sig ceramics. Oddly enough it sounds good to me. I'd like to find 4 old Jensen C10NS speakers to try in it. Just waiting for a nice set of four for around 50 bucks or trade a Weber Blue Dog 12" alnico.

7. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Thanks as always guys- I just would hate to sell it off without really hearing it sound like I think it can/should

8. BiggerJohn

BiggerJohn Friend of Leo's

You replaced a set of JBLs with Eminence P10R clones? Huh? Put the JBLs back in it.

With that said, i played a Vicky tweed Bandmaster clone with three Weber 10A125s. Way sweet.

9. Kerry Vance

Kerry Vance Tele-Meister

I've got to agree with Bigger John. Although, it depends on what model of JBLs you're talking about. But, most JBLs are hard to beat. Fender did offer Super Reverbs with JBLs in the 60s but they were a costly upgrade. I heard Bugs Henderson and Jimmy Vaughan play through Supers with JBLs and used to drool over the tones they got. They were the house amps at The Cellar clubs in Dallas and Fort Worth back in the late 1960s.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.