Super Reverb value

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by bigben55, Oct 29, 2015.

1. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

If I hated the speakers, I'd go weber. 10A100×2 & 10F150x2. Yeah, 3-400 bucks, but I am more cool with buying speakers than service. You can sell speakers and recoup.

2. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I got a Silverface SR in very good to excellent cosmetic condition, blackfaced, and just serviced by an extremely reputable amp guy that I know personally, with original CTS alnicos for $900 out the door, complete with brand new Fender two-button footswitch.

Normal market price in my area would probably be $1100 to $1200 but he wanted it to move and that was my offer.

Therefore, unless you are a collector and find something that is totally original I don't see why a player would spend more than this price range for a SR.

Of course, the actual prices may vary depending on where you live. But, if you are in the continental U.S., given the availability of used gear ordering through Guitar Center and other on-line sellers, it seems that the range can't get too far out of line with the range I'm seeing here.

3. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    Oxfarts are the worse speaker ever made in my opinion... that would be ones I would take out and leave out!

4. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

More than that price? I can give you a good reason, why buy a new printed, copy of that amp for $1600 when you can buy the real deal, real iron, etc for around the same price? SF or BF, they are still better than the newer stuff on the market. Unless you get into the later SF, story changes then.

5. chris m.

I'm talking about a vintage 1972 black-faced Silverface for $900, not a re-issue. Sorry for any confusion.

6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

bigben55, the two speakers on the bottom are Eminence ALK alnico speakers....very well respected for getting very close to a vintage P10 Jensen. Yes, those codes make a different. Get gut shots, too. You don't want to pay 'big' bucks for a circuit that has been gutted.

7. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

That is my point... why would a good condition 72 black-faced SR be only worth $900 when a printed board new one is worth $1600? My point is $900 is a great deal and can't believe anyone would buy a new one with these around. I still think $900 might be too cheap for such a great amp. Folks are paying $1000+ for a printed board new Princeton... day in, day out

8. chris m.

Yup, I got a great deal...but $1100-1200 is typical. I can only figure that some people still like to buy brand new, because a) warranty, b) they don't know a good amp tech, and c) they aren't aware of the internal construction changes.

9. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

grolan1, I agree totally that the market is skewed when it comes to the value of vintage Fender BF/SF amps versus the RI amps. I just sold a '73 SR...all original cab and major components with CTS Alnicos and fully serviced..ready to give years of steady reliable service for $800. Sad days....but that 5 year warranty from Fender gets those who do not know the difference, believe. They will pay more because they like to walk into that big shiny bankrupt...er...financially over-extended, famous name store and lay down that money for a lesser quality product. A used SRRI will bring almost $800 because it is 'newer' than a vintage one. They don't know what they are buying....and are befuddled if one tries to explain it to them. The only way that a buyer can beware is if the buyer is informed....and you can forget about that in this day and age. Yes, the info is in their hand in those digital devices, but many of them are not accessing that info. Some of those that do believe that the vintage market is a trap for fools, too. (;^)
    Imho, that SFSR I just sold was worth twice as much as a used SRRI, but you won't get that for one.

10. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

It doesn't make much of any sense really, but I guess it keeps some of the better amps out there still available price wise. Besides the smell of these older amps is like a fine wine, gets better and better!

11. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

Wally, you have mail/PM

12. doc w

doc w Tele-Afflicted

If you indeed don't care that much about collectibles, then look for a sf Super Reverb which you can get blackfaced, if you really want. My SR is a 1970, a little beat up cosmetically, which I bought for about $500 3-4 years ago. You can still get a slightly later SR like mine for 1K and spend a little money on it without getting into silly vintage prices. If you go that route, play it a while before you blackface it. You might actually like it. I left mine alone.

Reverb.com prices are, in my opinion, quite inflated. I think there is a lot of wishful thinking there.

13. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

Agree. I usually ignore the listed prices and go to the sales data and see what actually got sold and for what.

14. Prairie Dawg

Prairie Dawg Tele-Meister

So dis is where you been hangin out, G?

15. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Yep Tech Man, Mr. R!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.