Super Reverb Tremelo Issue

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Crazy neddie, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Crazy neddie

Crazy neddie Tele-Meister

Hey everybody, I was hankering for some Tremelo today and I plugged the original foot switch in and got a ton of interference when both reverb and Tremelo RCA connectors are plugged into the amp. I can hear radio stations just like an old fuzz face! This foot switch is the original and really beat. It has tons of mojo so I'll definitely get it fixed someday. But I can plug just the Tremelo RCA in and then the term is on but you can't turn it off, or the vibrato side of the foot switch may need a new switch. I had the switch on the reverb side replaced a couple of years ago and haven't used it yet. Anyway the Tremelo on this amp sounds pretty nice, and with it cranked up about halfway it really gets that Derek Truks type breakup and sustain. Tone heaven!
    I don't have a foot switch for the tremolo on my deluxe reverb. Does anyone know where to get a cheap foot switch for a DRRI. The 1/4 inch kind?
    Oh yeah, so is it normal that the trem only works with the foot switch plugged in?

2. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Need the footswitch or some other way to ground the trem for it to be on.

Ebay or most any big online guitar seller will have the Footswitch for your DRRI.

Try some electronic cleaner/lubricant on you old footswitch. Gets mine working right every time.

3. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

The footswitch on my 73 SFSR has been cranky its whole life it seems. On again off again. There are lots of replacement options if you Google "footswitch Super Reverb."

4. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

I took a Super Reverb in to get serviced and didn't have a footswitch for it. My tech made me something to put on the trem to make it work without the footswitch... It was just a metal RCA jack with a piece of metal soldered on it to short it out. I would just put that on and turn off the intensity to turn it off... That amp also had an on off pot where the trem pot was that if I turned it off on the pot, it removed the trem and gave a slight boost so the amp broke up a little sooner... Pretty cool mod

5. Crazy neddie

Thanks guys, that helps a lot.

6. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

Any Fender on/off footswitch with an RCA on the end (or you can use a 1/4" to RCA adaptor) will operate the trem/ rev on a Super Reverb. Even the modern footswitch for my Super Champ operates my SF SR, minus the LED.

With minimal electronic skills you can even make a switch out of a project box with a SPDT on/off switch in it, wired to a jack (that's all a footswitch really is, unless you want an LED for which you need to add power). Use a speaker-type cable instead of a guitar cord (again, you can wire up your own with a 1/4" on one end and an RCA on the other).

The trick someone mentioned of using shorted out RCA is a simple DIY option. Cut the RCA plug off of an old stereo patchcord, twist or solder the wires together and tape them off. Insert the plug and the FX will work just by turning up the Intensity knob on the front panel. I've had one of these stuck in my SR for about 20 years -- I use the trem so seldom I can't be bothered toting a footswitch, but the trem is there for the odd time I want it.

To answer your query, yes, it is normal for the FX not to operate without anything plugged into the jack.

7. Crazy neddie

How does having the trem engaged change the tone when speed and intensity are down on zero?

Also, without the foot switch plugged in does the reverb default to on?

8. tubevibrato

tubevibrato Tele-Meister

Try plugging the "reverb" side of the two switches into the vibrato jack. Then don't plug in the other rca plug. The button marked "reverb" can then turn your vibrato on and off. That's what I had to do with an aftermarket rev/vib foot switch box. When both were plugged in to their proper places, I had alot of reverb noise. When I unplugged the reverb side, the vibrato switch wouldn't work either. But when plugging the reverb side into the vibrato jack, all was well. I have no need to control the reverb with a foot switch. Dave

Sent from my "ITelecaster" using TDPRI

9. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

If you put a switch on the tremolo to take it completely out of the system (not just the footswitch) you are supposed to get a slight bump in gain because no signal at all goes through the tremolo circuit, so no signal is lost. I've never tried this but it's a fairly common mod.

As far as the default settings: with a blackface or silverface amp from the Deluxe Reverb and larger, the trem defaults to off and the reverb to on if no footswitch is plugged in.

The shielded wire is the reverb wire and that can be the source of your noise if you have them reversed or if there is an iffy solder joint on one end of the braided shield, which is a pretty common issue on an older pedal. Is the braid just barely soldered to the RCA jack or hanging by a few threads? The braided shield wire is also soldered inside the pedal housing and then connected across to the tremolo side so you could have a bad or broken point inside as well.

10. Crazy neddie

Thanks all. I'll try the reverb RCA into the trem jack and see if I can turn it on and off with the foot switch. I've never heard the trem on my DRRI but if it sounds nearly as good as on the Super I'll be psyched.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.