1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Super Reverb 65 Reissue information

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Craig Williams, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Craig Williams

Craig Williams Tele-Meister

Lucky enough to pick one of these up tonight. I haven't seen it yet, guy delivering tomorrow. No money has changed hands yet but crazy price, about used Blues Deluxe money. I have had 3 Super Rev before, a Blackface and 2 SF. Loved them dearly. The cleans were always lush and pristine and with a Tube Screamer hooked up in front sounded like a Marshall. One particular SF one was an exceptional amp, even with honey comb (cockroaches ate them) speaker cones. I play mainly clean single coil and use boost or pedal for lead.

This one has the 4 x Jensens and according to the guy very original and excellent condition. Just wondering what can I expect from the RI? Are they essentially the same amps as the older ones? I am guessing they are not hand wired. Are they reliable? How long have they been making them for? Are they considered as good as the older ones?

I have no idea how old it is, nor does the guy selling it. I assume I can age it by serial number? I did manage to pick the serial number off the photo (CR277995) which according to the decoder says 1992, retro. It is stamped on the back product of Fender musical Instruments Corona CA. I assume it is US made. Do they make these in Asia or Mexico now?

Any advice anyone can give appreciated

Screenshot_2021-01-19-18-57-10-42.jpg Screenshot_2021-01-19-18-57-14-47.jpg

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Do I see a Jensen code of 2200127 on the speaker in the upper left? If so and if they are original, that amp is from 2001. There should be a small white and black label somewhere inside that cab. On the bottom line of that label is where Fender put a two letter date code. This two letter code was introduced in 1990 with A being the year and the second letter being the month....as I; the system that was used from 1951 through April, 1967. So, AA would be January of 1990. AB = February of 1990. BL would be December of 1991...and so forth. 2001 would read L_. LA would be January, LB would be February, etc.
    one can date by reading speaker codes, transformer codes, pot codes, electrolytic capacitors codes....and one can verify orig8nality this way, as well.
    In this system, C would indicate 1992. However, that CR in the serial number for your amp is an indicator of where the amp was built...Corona, CA. It is not a date code....there is no month that would read ‘R’. I do not think that these serial numbers are linked to dates. It is good for ID purposes, ime, and little else.

3. Craig Williams

The Jensen speaker codes are all labelled 2200122,

The guy just delivered it lol. Drove 6 hours from Bangkok, said he wanted to go for a driving holiday anyway haha. Thais are strange like that, they will haggle and dig their heals on over $2, then think nothing of driving 500km round trip and burning $100 worth of gas...

Anyhoo, the amp is in immaculate condition. I mean mint. The sound, as a Texas friend of mine would say is smooth as butter in my a$$ cheeks lol. It really is superb. Crystal clear, deep bottom end. Reverb lush everything working perfectly. And yes from zero to ten this thing sounds good. Play at home volume 1 hahaha, but still sounds just as good as it does turned up. I play clean so not looking to crank it to get in the zone. I remember when I used to gig with mine medium room never ever got past 4. They are loud particularly for 45 watts.

By the way, there is no other serial number ID on the guitar. There is the tube sticker which has an area "production" but it is bank or had been written in hand and faded. So it is a mystery about the date. The Jensen speakers are numbered 2200122 so I don't know if that helps with dating. On the little while label, the one where I guess the inspector hand wrote his initials, I think is LI, in very small letters. Not written very clearly but 80% sure LI.

As a bonus, turns out this guy is a pretty reknowned amp tech, specializing in tube amps and keyboards. So that will be a number I will be keeping. Hard to find good proper techs here. Usually they will use a second hand vacuum cleaner transformer or capacitor for something to save $3 (and charge you ten times the price of new). One thing I am very happy about is this thing has no electrical hum or grounding issues whatsoever. Not surprisingly seeing the guy is a tech. I am guessing it has been biased and set up perfectly. And so far, I can see know difference between this and the favorite one I owned in the past the early 70s SF.

Wally and Fluddman like this.
  4. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Holic

I recently repaired a Silverface Super Reverb for a mate. They are great sound amp and there is something magic about the sound of a quad of speakers.

Enjoy!

Craig Williams likes this.
  5. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

LI......September, 2001. Speaker codes...2200122....22nd week of 2001. enjoy....

Craig Williams likes this.
  6. Craig Williams

Must have been one of the first ones made. They only came out 2001 apparently

Wally likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.