Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
1643043341648.png

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
What a majestic bird!

I'd settle for some irrupting Snowy Owls right now, down here in the mountains of NC.

I wonder what the chances are, of these eagles colonizing the Atlantic Maritimes?

KevinB

Doctor of Teleocity
Truly an unusual bird for the east coast.

Here in South Carolina we've had this same - we think - bird visit the same residential back yard for the last 3 winters.

BO002.JPG

It's a Bullock's oriole, a western species with - according to eBird - very few sightings on the Atlantic coast.

Not as exciting as a Steller's sea eagle though!

Geoff738

Poster Extraordinaire
Very cool. It was in the news here a while back. Meanwhile I can’t seem to spot the Iceland gulls that are supposedly a couple hundred yards from my place.

Cheers,
Geoff

KevinB

Doctor of Teleocity
What a majestic bird!

I'd settle for some irrupting Snowy Owls right now, down here in the mountains of NC.

I wonder what the chances are, of these eagles colonizing the Atlantic Maritimes?
I’d say only a very slim chance. Steller’s basically occupy the same ecological niche as American bald eagles (they’re both sea eagles rather than true eagles and as such are mostly coastal, and mostly eat fish) and there are thousands of bald eagles already well established in the Maritimes.

Bones

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I’d say only a very slim chance. Steller’s basically occupy the same ecological niche as American bald eagles (they’re both sea eagles rather than true eagles and as such are mostly coastal, and mostly eat fish) and there are thousands of bald eagles already well established in the Maritimes.
Interestingly though, the Steller's can mate with Bald Eagles, so you never know.

tcadam

Tele-Afflicted
Looks like the AP has picked up this story:

Thanks for posting the photo, Bones!

Bones

Telefied
Ad Free Member
View attachment 944597
Note the EXIF date in the screenshot.
Internal battery on camera is dead, so every time the main batteries are removed for charging or die, the internal clock resets. You can also see my horrible settings there which are the result of trying to shoot something else seconds before the bird took flight. Which, is always how things work if you dare not be totally dedicated to the big bird that you are there to see. :p

OmegaWoods

Tele-Afflicted
Internal battery on camera is dead, so every time the main batteries are removed for charging or die, the internal clock resets. You can also see my horrible settings there which are the result of trying to shoot something else seconds before the bird took flight. Which, is always how things work if you dare not be totally dedicated to the big bird that you are there to see. :p
Great pic, @Bones !

Having goofed up settings all the time is the story of my photographic life.

Bones

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Great pic, @Bones !

Having goofed up settings all the time is the story of my photographic life.
Thanks! It was three hours of waiting around for the bird to fly and then when it flew, we had 30 seconds to try to get it before it was gone. f8 and a faster ISO may have produced a better image but who knows, the light was super harsh at 2 p.m.

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Inspired by your dedication Bones. Keep on keepin’ on.

dkmw

Poster Extraordinaire
If pros like you mess up settings, it makes me feel a lot better about all the times I’ve done it. Birds are hard!

OmegaWoods

Tele-Afflicted
Thanks! It was three hours of waiting around for the bird to fly and then when it flew, we had 30 seconds to try to get it before it was gone. f8 and a faster ISO may have produced a better image but who knows, the light was super harsh at 2 p.m.
Ask me about the time I photographed a total solar eclipse without zooming in on the event after practice twenty times exactly what I was going to do. Still got some great shots but they could have been so much better!

It's a great picture, congrats again.