SUPER Over Drive: Boss SD-1 Love

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by JayFreddy, Oct 23, 2014.

1. leonard d rock

leonard d rock Tele-Afflicted

Changed the opamp on one of my sd1 to ne5532 and it has slightly more drive than the jrc4558dd

2. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Interesting. How many SD-1s do you have? How many different mods have you tried? Do you still own a stock SD-1 so you can do side by side comparisons? If so, I'd be interested in seeing some YouTube videos!

I wonder if there is a catalog of standard mods that people can do to their SD-1s?

I've heard of the "C6 and OpAmp Mod" before... I wonder how many others are out there, and what are the options within that particular mod?

3. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

In the mid-late 80's I owned a beat to hell sd-1 and I can remember a guy letting me use his 80's tubescreamer and I didn't like it. I much preferred the sd-1 at the time. The sd-1 was made in Japan and must have been real early because I bought it used in around 87? and it already looked 50 years old. I don't know how that one would compare to the newer versions today.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    JayFreddy likes this.
  4. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

The purists will tell you the old ones are where it's at, but to my ears, the new ones sound great too.

If you miss your old SD-1, a new one should be able to scratch that itch.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  5. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I have had a hankering to try one out again. Nice to know I don't have to pay a fortune for one.

JayFreddy likes this.
  6. psychobilly451

psychobilly451 TDPRI Member

I had mine given to me and just got a Bad monkey for $10 but I haven't tried yet.
    I know I will probably mod both because I have a soldering iron!

JayFreddy likes this.
  7. leonard d rock

leonard d rock Tele-Afflicted

i have two at the moment. the older one has the C6 mod and some of .11 gauges' sd1to fulldrive mod and a slight increase in bass with the c3mod. it also has at the moment the ne5532 opamp. I remember doing tha mid which give a 3db boost in output but cant find the source.
    the second sd1 is relatively stock except for the the c6 mod. to compare, the stock pedals tone control is full while id it has the c6 mod i just turn the tone control to about 12 or 1 oclock. i havent seen a complete catalog of sd1 mods tho i know of about 4 from different sources in the net. lots of it here in tdpri. ive heard of the sd1 to ts808 mod too and am planning to get more sd1 to do mods on. if you plan to do mods buy the older PCB circuit ones as the new ones are already SMT.

JayFreddy likes this.
  8. Riffraff12571

Riffraff12571 Tele-Holic

I never met a Marshall that didn't love my SD-1.

JayFreddy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.