Super market music.

David Barnett

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
THAT is not what they are playing. One thing I'm absolutely certain of, there is ONE Hispanic bass player who does all of the bass lines on Mexican radio station music, I recognize his style, and the fact that he has been out of tune on thousands of recordings!

I can't cope with the ones with trumpets.

Doomguy

Tele-Holic
Have you heard of the game 'Whamageddon'? You have to get as close to 25 Dec as possible without hearing Last Christmas. It's very difficult in any retail job. I've only managed it a couple of years.
I've heard about it, it sounds ridiculous to me. I'd rather avoid the song anyway, hate all this holiday music. If only they let me choose the playlist for a day...

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
In the late '90's our band, The Tone Popes...
( playing Chicago Blues, R&B instrumentals and British Invasion tunes)

...had a regular Saturday PM gig, actually playing inside the Arlington, VA Bread and Circus Super Market ( I think Whole Foods now)

Our bass player booked our band, and we played a few bars in Arlington- no idea how we got this gig...

They paid us in food vs. $$ for like 2 hours.
We played on like the mezzanine/office level of the market above the Cheese area! We were sitting down so kind of hidden, but we could wave to folks below us.
We knew how to play R&R quietly, but still great energy & .sound- clean

- shoppers wondering where Muddy Waters, Booker T. & the MG's, and Surf music was coming from!
Really fun band- miss it!

rdjones

Tele-Holic
I have heard a few rock and roll tunes in my local veggie shop where you have got to come with your containers. Charlie feathers was playing on, and a few other rockabillies. Of course i don't eat veggies so i had some of their local peppers and nuts.
We may be on to something here.
If something as innocuous as background music is setting you off you might have a chemical or nutritional imbalance that could lead to other more serious concerns.

David Barnett

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
In California Mexican music is EVERYWHERE! Those tubas are legion on the airwaves.

I don't know my Mexican pop music genres and subgenres, but around here the Mexican joints seem to always play music with lots of trumpets. And there's something about the way the trumpets are recorded that really bugs me. I don't know if it's just distorted and compressed, or if something else is going on, but it almost sounds like a DX7 on a trumpet patch with a breath controller. Sometimes I think there's one real trumpet and then all the harmonies played on a keyboard. It's a sort of "house sound," and whatever they're doing, it's egregious.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I don't know my Mexican pop music genres and subgenres, but around here the Mexican joints seem to always play music with lots of trumpets. And there's something about the way the trumpets are recorded that really bugs me. I don't know if it's just distorted and compressed, or if something else is going on, but it almost sounds like a DX7 on a trumpet patch with a breath controller. Sometimes I think there's one real trumpet and then all the harmonies played on a keyboard. It's a sort of "house sound," and whatever they're doing, it's egregious.
I'm well familiar with the trumpets, the Mexican accordion is almost as deadly to the ear, but the tubas man! They are the worst; they use them for the bass line when they don't have an out of tune bass to play it.

I've been bombarded with hardcore Mexican fiesta type music for most of my life, I used to find it just mildly annoying, of late it has reached to me the equivalent of an endless cacophony of a thousand fingernails being scraped along a blackboard that reaches into eternity. I think this is attributed to the modern boom box type audio system being used to play even traditional Mexican music.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I can't cope with the ones with trumpets.
This morning, my brother-in-law and his wife took us to breakfast. They had some of that infernal Mexican music playing in the background. So, help me, the first thing my brother-in-law said was, man, that tuba just grinds you down!

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
This morning, my brother-in-law and his wife took us to breakfast. They had some of that infernal Mexican music playing in the background. So, help me, the first thing my brother-in-law said was, man, that tuba just grinds you down!

Funny old world. No Mexican music (or decent Mexican food) up here. I guess you can't have one without the other.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Funny old world. No Mexican music (or decent Mexican food) up here. I guess you can't have one without the other.
I love Mexican food, I really do, but that music, man it never changes. It sounds just like what they were playing on the Mexican Music stations when I came to California over 70 years ago! That tuba line, man a guy would confess to ANYTHING if they tied you down and put headphones on you and blasted it into your ears. Either that or you'd just DIE!

CharlieO

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
It's not supermarket music, but there is a McDonald’s near me that always plays excellent music. I go there frequently in the morning for my 95 cent senior coffee, and there usually is a group of regulars there in the dining room. Most of them are older than I am, probably in the mid ‘70s to mid ‘80s. I haven’t figured out if they are tuning out the music, or if they enjoy it as much as I do.

A couple of years ago I could count on hearing music from The Clash, Violent Femmes, Jonathan Richman and The Modern Lovers, The Romantics, and other “alternative rock” artists from the late ‘70s and ‘80s. This was what they played consistently for several months, and I could expect to hear it whenever I dropped in. Apparently the morning senior crowd dug it.

They closed the dining room for a year or more because of COVID ( the seniors still met regularly in the parking lot), and when they reopened, the music had changed. I liked it so much that I decided to Shazam it on my phone. Here is a sampling of what I can now expect to hear there.

“Chain Gang” - Sam Cooke
”What’s Going On” - Marvin Gaye
”War” - Edwin Starr
”Bernadette” - The Four Tops
”I Found Sunshine” - The Chi-Lites
”Respect Yourself” - The Staple Singers

Not typical Florida McDonald’s fare. I like it.

Last edited:

johnny k

Doctor of Teleocity
We may be on to something here.
If something as innocuous as background music is setting you off you might have a chemical or nutritional imbalance that could lead to other more serious concerns.
I need more vegetables maybe !

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
I can hardly ever hear music i love anymore, it sorts of do not feel right, but those workers in super markets, it would drive me crazy. Just waiting around at the cashier makes me want to scream enough already! move on !

Listening to crappy casettes on a crappy casette player and crappy speakers in a van at full volume on a hangover was also terrible. Not as much as doing some shopping clear headed though.
I was in a supermarket and spied a mom and teenager humming along to the canned music that was pumped being pumped in.The song was Stray Cat Blues by the Rolling Stones.
I thought, "is this ironic?"