1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Super low budget spray rig from my past

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Peltogyne, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Peltogyne

Peltogyne Friend of Leo's

This might be amusing. Way back around 1990 I got some early water based lacquer and built a ridiculously simple spray rig. I don't think I've ever seen one cheaper. I still have it in a box so I took some pics to share.

The paint wanted a HVLP sprayer so I found this cheap atomizer that was advertised as such. I think it was less than $10. That was the last part that was paid for. The compressor was taken from an old refrigerator and some aquarium tubing was simply wiggled onto the cut tubing on the pump and connected to the atomizer.

Total cost? Almost nothing. Yet it worked very well, didn't sputter and the pump didn't contaminate the air with oil or condensation over many guitars and other household items.

Now the pics, feel free to point and laugh.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Rano Bass

Rano Bass Tele-Holic

That is really cool hahaha, I love the pics.

3. Kennedycaster

Kennedycaster Tele-Afflicted

Wow! :eek: Ingenuity at it's finest.

Bob

4. motor_city_tele

motor_city_tele Tele-Afflicted

It also will double for a vacuum when you want to build yourself a vinyl bag to apply veneer.

5. Peltogyne

Peltogyne Friend of Leo's

Have you used one for a vacuum bag? I'm wondering how long it would hold up if air is not going through the pump.

6. motor_city_tele

motor_city_tele Tele-Afflicted

I have not used one, but have done some research as to building one. I went so far as to purchase the vinyl and a vacuum pump off ebay. I think joewoodworker.com has some good info about vacuum bags.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.