Super Champ XD

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Gary in Boston, Oct 27, 2021.

1. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

Hey All,

I use this little Swiss Army Knife of an amp as an easy peasy go-to amp.

With my Tele I have a couple of amp models that I really like and use often.

The other day I pulled out my Les Paul Jr and plugged it in.

I know it goes without saying that different guitars and pickups are always going to make huge differences but that old P90 does all kinds of magical things with the various amp models on the Super Champ X2.

The basic "Black Face" tone is just as it should be, only the P90 can push it into the red quicker.

The "Tweed" model on the amp really benefits from the P90 as far as dynamics goes, as in you can use the volume pot on the LP and really vary the tone as well as altering your picking technique.

The " Dirty Princeton" setting really shines with the P90 in that Neil Young sort of way.

The clean "VOX" setting is all kinds of edgy, almost more than the bridge PU on the Tele which has to be the output of the P90 working the amp model harder.

Anyway, the special effects are not the greatest but hints of delay and reverb are easily dialed in and you end up with a great, guitar / amp combo that really needs nothing more for many applications.

Plug and play!

Gary

2. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

That's my practice amp right now. Ragin' Cajun and I normally run it clean and use a tube preamp to the sound I like with an inside voice.

3. Peegoo

Peegoo Doctor of Teleocity

I had one for a few years and liked it.

Only the power stage is tube driven on these, with a 100% digital front end. The 12AX7 tube is the phase inverter--not a preamp tube--despite what the official description would have you believe.

4. Nahtabot

Nahtabot Tele-Holic

Mine's a keeper. 24lbs. of tube goodness.

It has a buzz/rattle somewhere though . . . .

5. guitarsophist

guitarsophist Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

The rattle is a common problem. On mine it went away when I replaced the stock speaker with a Jensen C10Q.

Nahtabot likes this.
  6. telekaster1999

telekaster1999 Tele-Afflicted

Recently got reacquainted with mine. Ragin Cajun in mine as well, still sounds little boxy to me but not so much that I can't get some good sounds out of it. Enjoy!

Nahtabot likes this.
  7. Nahtabot

Nahtabot Tele-Holic

Thanks for that. I know the stock speaker is budget grade.

8. Jon C

Jon C Tele-Meister

Great with a Ragin Cajun, I’ve used it on a few gigs (BF model).

9. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

Mine sits in the basement. Different strokes, I guess.

10. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I've had a Weber Signature 10AS in my SCX2 for years. Clean enough and defined enough up to about 5 on the dial, then gets more compressed as you go up from there. Has its own tweedish fatness when the amp is dimed.

RodeoTex and Nahtabot like this.
  11. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That was my first "real" amp, and it's still the only amp I ever bought new. I sold it to friend at work, for $100, pretty much a token. I'm glad a friend has it, otherwise I'd regret selling it. Turns out it's a perfect amp for playing at home.

12. stormin1155

stormin1155 Tele-Holic

My SCX2 is what I use 90% of the time. Mine's loaded with an Eminence Legend 1028K.

joealso and Nahtabot like this.
  13. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

Bought a SCXD from GC a couple of years ago for $160 out the door. It was REALLY dirty, After several hours of cleanup, it turned out quite well. I added a JBL D110F, installed 6L6s, rebiased it to run the 6L6s at 22-25 to keep the power tranny cool and happy. The result is a very compact, kick butt amp that is great for practice or small venue gigging. It IS my practice amp, and considering that I have my choice of a BDRI, 1970 DR 2x10, and a TMDR as well, that is saying a lot for the little monster. _561.JPG

BTW- there is no speaker rattle in this 'un!

14. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Afflicted

That tiny beast gets 50% of my playing time in the studio alongside an Egnater Rebel30 and a Marshall Origin20. It's always connected to a 2X10" cab.

2019-11-23 Super Champ XD.jpg

At the summer cottage where I have a second one that I housed in a 12" pine cab is the only one played there for all summer months.

19-07-06.jpg

Something I discovered is it likes being dimed. Then adjust level-tone-grit with guitar volume. If you don't like playing with your guitar knobs, dime it anyways and adjust level-tone-grit. Then you truly get what it can deliver.

I almost exclusively play P90s through it.

Try that and tell me about it ?

Blue Bill, joealso, Nahtabot and 3 others like this.
  15. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

May I ask what year, make, and model that Les Paul you have hanging? That pine cabinet and fabric is gorgeous.

DrBGood likes this.
  16. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Does "rebiased it to run the 6L6s at 22-25" mean 22-25 mV at the test point, 44-50 mV at the test point (thus 22-25 mV per tube), or...?

I remember previous pics of yours sitting on that grunt projector.

17. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Dinked around with the power tube. Ragin Cajun. Not a bad little practice amp at all. I don’t use the sims, I play it clean and use a pedal tube preamp if I need dirt. All set.
    upload_2021-11-9_17-5-47.jpeg

Nahtabot likes this.
  18. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Afflicted

That enhancer widget is so cool; I chuck up a like every time it appears on here.

19. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

Thanks! I've moved the SCXD into a raw pine PRRI cabinet and installed a Weber 12F150 speaker. The look and sound kick tookie, but leaves me little use for the Enhancer, these days.

20. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Afflicted

I have the Sweetwater special edition in maroon tolex with a Celestion Greenback for the speaker. I'd played pretty much every modeling amp Fender made up to that time and was very familiar with their pros and cons, so the X2 really startled me with how much better it sounds. I'm sure the Greenback speaker has a lot to do with that; it's a huge upgrade from the stock speakers in the lower-priced modelers. The X2 is one of three amps I can't imagine myself selling off for a very long time, alongside a Harmony 8418 and Roland BCH Boss Drive Special.

stevemc and Willie Johnson like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.