Super Champ XD vs Mustang II or III

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by holgaguy, Jan 28, 2013.

1. iowacarver

iowacarver Tele-Meister

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  2. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

3. iowacarver

iowacarver Tele-Meister

4. Vindibona

Vindibona TDPRI Member

Can't tell if I'm late to the party... But....

I did a lot of research and testing of modeling amps as I began my reentry into the guitar world. The guys at the guitar store were pushing the Fender Mustangs, but I always felt that they were cumbersome to dial in and the sounds overprocessed. I was REALLY considering buying one, but first, found a Line 6 Spider II 75w that I got used/mint for 1/2 the price of a Mustang II. Then came across a Roland Cube 40XL and got one of those on closeout. I took some lessons and the amp they had was a Mustang II which confirmed my decision NOT to buy the Mustang. Honestly wish I had held out for a tube amp but still like my purchase over the Mustangs and have no regrets in that regard.

So now, interestingly, I am looking at getting a Superchamp XD. Haven't played one live yet but heard some demos and I think it blows the aforementioned amps out of the water.

5. davidchagrin

davidchagrin Tele-Holic

The XD is a wonderful amp. I've been using one for years. Pick one up. You won't regret it.

6. holgaguy

holgaguy Tele-Afflicted

I think in general they sound better then the Mustang II except for maybe the higher gain models (which I rarely use anyway). My only problem with the SCXD is it not being loud enough or big enough sounding. If you can run it through a PA, it'll sound killer.

That said, my original SCXD DSP gave out after 5 years. I really do think they have a shelf life, unlike most any tube amp.

7. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

Before I passed judgement on any Mustang amp, I'd make sure it was reset (rebooted) first. Mine got a glitch a few months back and sounded pretty bad until a Fender tech recommened doing a simple reboot. It only took seconds and all the great tone was back.

It hasn't had a glitch since but I wouldn't be surprised if there's Mustangs out there that could use a reboot.

8. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

I don't understand why the OP can't just have both.

Why do people get interested in something new, and then immediately decide to sell their old stuff to help finance the new stuff?

"A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush...", and I think the same thing is true for amps and guitars! :p

If you have something that you've used for a while and it's made you happy, keep it! It's great to try new gear as well, but if you can keep the old gear AND get the new stuff, then you'll have both, and be in a better position to do an impartial comparison.

After a while, you'll figure out which one you like. As guitarists have keenly observed since the dawn of time (i.e., 1952 or thereabouts!), often times the new one is NOT better than the old one... ;)

The X2 is as good or better. Keep your eyes open. Good things are bound to come your way! :cool:

9. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

Some people aren't pack rats.
    Some can't get stuff at US prices and have to spend more carefully.
    Some don't have space for lots of gear.
    Some don't have the finances.
    Some don't like the missus seeing how much they've spent on gear.

10. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

I don't think owning two amps qualifies someone as a pack rat.

On the other hand, I am a pack rat... ;)

I think too many people sell or trade their old gear towards new stuff without thinking it through. Then they regret it later.

When possible, I think it makes sense to keep the old stuff, acquire the new stuff, and then own both for a while.

If the new stuff proves to be significantly better than the old stuff, sell the old stuff.

I understand financial considerations. Part of my being a pack rat is that I don't like losing money on gear. I also understand that space is a luxury not everyone can afford.

I still think too many people thoughtlessly flip their old gear for new stuff, just because they don't have the patience to save up for the new stuff, and trading the old stuff provides instant gratification.

I've done the instant gratification thing, and I've done the pack rat thing. I guess it comes down to personal preference.

I prefer to have a few older amps than one new one.

If that makes me a pack rat, I'm okay with that. ;)

11. chesire

chesire Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have a VCXD that just kills as a porch player, small jam, practice amp. I briefly owned an MII and thought it sounded about as good as plugging directly into my iPad ie great as a recording interface but not enjoyable as an amp. It went back.

The XD, X2 line is really remarkable and at 15 watts gig-worthy in small venues or large ones with a good mic.

In those dark moments when I'm beating my head against my rig and can't get a good sound, I have flashes of cashing out all my pedals and tube amps and just switching to an X2 setup entirely. It would be nice to pocket all that cash and I bet most of the people I play with wouldn't notice.

12. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Afflicted

Just my 2 cents, but I sold my Cube 80xl awhile ago, sold my Mustang II this past Saturday....and still have my Mustang III. I still feel it is the best of the bunch. I guess its' the speaker, open back, LCD and the fact that it has a better speaker and a midrange control without using a computer....but the III blows the II away in sound quality. And I know it's the amp because I tried all my III presets on the II and they did not sound good.

13. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

I don't think there should be an obvious difference between the Mustang II and the Mustang III until the amps are turned up. The software is the same, just the 12" speaker is different.......beside the physical layout of the controls. The Mustang III has the better 12" speaker, but the II should be fine for home playing or jams/ gigs that aren't real loud.

A Mustang III really shouldn't "blow away" a Mustang II,,,,IMhO.....SO.........

I'm wondering if this MII is in need of a reboot. I've been harping a lot on this because a Mustang needing a reboot can sound pretty bad. It can also be hardly noticeable, making it hard to detect. That's what happened to mine a few months ago....at first it was subtle on a couple of presets...and then it was REALLY bad on a few others.

Reboot meaning that it just needs to have the utility button held down while you power the amp on....I don't remember if that's EXACTLY how you do it, but that's the idea anyway, the exact procedure is under "help" in the online manual. What it does it restore it back to factory settings. All your settings are automatically saved on your hardrive, so the memory is easily uploaded back in.

The sound improvement is REALLY noticeable after the reboot if your amp gets the software glitch. It doesn't hurt a thing to do it, even if you're not sure.

14. Chancerubbage

Chancerubbage Tele-Meister

How does this bad sounding glitch manifest itself exactly? Anything that seems like the mids dropping out?

15. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I think if the they made a Mustang III in stereo head it would be huge seller.

Mustang Floor is a nice unit, pair it with couple of nice, reliable, affordable SS amps along lines of Tech 21 power engines would be great a setup. Same Fuse SW, just add a couple guitar oriented powered amps with 10-12" speakers.

16. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

@ DaveKS;

I think the Mustang V is a stereo head version of the Mustang III, isn't it?

150 watts, consisting of (2) 75 watt amps in stereo. The same as a Mustang IV but just the head.

@ CHancerubbage;

I don't know what triggered the glitch. I tried to redo the steps that caused it and I couldn't get it to do it again. If I knew what the exact sequence was, I'd share what it was to see if it was just mine or not. The main thing is that the reboot got rid of it and it's never surfaced again.

It was during the editing stage of taking the Super Sonic head and experimenting with different cabinets. I tried every combo of cabinets and it didn't trigger it........so I don't know.

What happened in my case was more than just a mid range drop. At first it was a fizz distortion in the decay and then all the settings starting sounding thin with an annoying buzz or fizzy sound.

If it ever happens again, I'll immediately retrace my steps, do a reboot, see if I can get it to do it again and then post what happened.

17. matt mcgriff

matt mcgriff TDPRI Member

I have a SCX2 head with the matching 1x12 cab and a mustang floor. Just got the floor, but it is the best of both. Get the warmth of the tube amp, but all of the versatility and tones of the Mustang.

18. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Afflicted

Both my II and III were bought used, but both were mint. Both were immediately re-booted and I also made sure each had the latest firmware. I'm not really saying that the II can't sound good....but for sure it needs to be set up with the computer. But the same presets on both amps really shows how much better the III sounds, and the speaker + open back can make a huge difference on any amp really. So I am not saying the II is bad, or not made as well or anything like that. Just put them next to each other and there is no comparison IMHO. The Cube 80XL, that one I expected to blow the Mustangs away actually....because I have had Cubes and loved them (my Cube 30 was great)....I did not expect to like the III better....but I just did.

19. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

I love the Mustang III, and use one at all of our band rehearsals. Having said that, I agree with post #4 that you have to spend quite a bit of time with it if you want all of your patches to be exactly right. Since my amp lives at our rehearsal room full time, I don't have that luxury. What I find is that I only use 3 or 4 of the available patches on our songs - far less than what this amp is capable of. If we take a break for a couple of weeks I'll take it home and use the software. My point is that if you want to get the most out of a Mustang, it's not plug-and-play. Conversely, if you do plug-and-play, it still sounds great.

20. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the info. :)
    Even at a lower, home practice volume, was there much of a difference in tone quality between the Mustang II and III, IYO ?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.