1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Super Champ XD or Epi Valve Jr?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Honeyman Scoot, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Honeyman Scoot

Honeyman Scoot TDPRI Member

I have been trying to find a new amp, and have traded sold some equipment for in-store credit.
    I have been borrowing a Super Champ XD, and have A/B/d the amp with many pedals, and now have the following:

Carbon Copy
    OCD
    Plimsoul
    RC Booster
    Keeley Mod Tremolo

So, I have been generally loving the sounds of the pedals on Channel 1, and my plans have been to pick up a SCXD of my very own...

However,

I liked the idea of actually using my pedals with a good, basic clean tube amp to get my tones, so I tried out a number of things both tube and non-tube (VCXD, Voc AC4(Tv), BJ, and the Epi Valve Jr.

At first, I thought the EVJr sounded too muddy, and not clean enough, but with some love from my RC Booster, I was able to get some nice tones, although from what many have said an EQ is the way to go with this amp (and of course the numerous mods, etc.). And I really liked the way the combo kicked in near 11on...

I did A/B the combo with the EVJr Head/Cab, and I must say that for me, the combo started breaking up nicely at a lower volume (this is primarily for my house/practice), although the 12" speaker was really nice. I could of course add an external cab later, so that is not my biggest concern. All of my testing was done strictly with CV Teles, no humbuckers.

My dilemma is whether to stay the course with the SCXD, which now to my ears seems...thinner and less round than before my playing the EpiVJr.

I tend to play a lot of classic rock (usual suspects), but also would like to be able to get a variety of tones with my Asat Classic and Chet Atkins Tennessean (Gibson).
    What makes sense, SCXD for 300, or EPIVJr for 150, and 150 left for EQ, etc?

I have credit with the store, so my only real options are Fender, Epiphone, Vox. I wish they had a Marshall Class 5 to try, but seems unlikely they will get one in the near future.

The EpiVJR seems to be the 3rd generation (it has the 4, 8, and 16 ohm outputs), if that is a consideration.

Thanks in advance for any anecdotal evidence/advice you can provide.

2. castpolymer

castpolymer Poster Extraordinaire

I have had both. The SuperChamp XD is a better choice. Much more flexible tonewise.

3. pchilson

pchilson Friend of Leo's

SCXD by a nose...

4. ProToneThinline

ProToneThinline Tele-Holic

A speaker swap will cure that. I just put a Ragin Cajun in mine, and I got more bottom and volume, but the RC still has enough top end to sit nicely in a live mix. The SCXD/RC combination is almost as loud as my Peavey Classic 30 with the stock speaker, and actually sounds a little "sweeter".

5. Stuco

Stuco Poster Extraordinaire

scxd

6. Tele-Monster

Tele-Monster Friend of Leo's

Use to own both...now I own neither

For me it was the VJ, I sold the XD after I bought it. The champ is a fun practice amp but I didn't find much use for it.

7. phillip lee

phillip lee TDPRI Member

I put a nos 12ay7 in a Valve jr and it is super clean up to 3 ocklock. The pedals can add the mud.
    Have a Jensen Falcon 12 coming to add a little warmth to it.
    No experience with the Fender except GC playing, seemed nice at low volumes.

8. fly135

fly135 Tele-Holic

I have a Vjr combo and head/cab. I also have a SCXD. If I had to chose I'd keep the SCXD. Overall a much better and more versatile amp. Plus it really comes alive when plugged into an external cab. I think the stock SCXD speaker is a compromise to cover the various voicings.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.