Super Champ X2

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by K1121, Aug 6, 2020.

1. K1121

K1121 TDPRI Member

Hello,

I wanted an amp suitable for low bedroom volume, since my Marshall DSL is far too loud. I went ahead and bought a user SCX2, as I’ve used them before and liked them a lot. However, I came across threads about the DSP failing, and am now worried. Is that something I should worry about? I’d the DSP fails, does the clean channel still work? I have a Pod Go for effects, so I’m not as worried about the modeling.

2. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

There is only one preamp, with DSP. Channel 1 is a "voice" just like the 16 voices of Channel 2. If the DSP board fails entirely, neither channel will work.

I've used an SCX2 daily since 2012 and the USB interface failed a few weeks ago. That's a pretty good run for an amp not designed to be serviced. I'm continuing to use it, as it has effectively become an SCXD which has no interface.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    stevemc likes this.
  3. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

It could last a long time. It's just hard to say. If it fails nothing works right. All the tone controls etc are on that board unlike a normal amp.

4. supersonicobr

supersonicobr TDPRI Member

If the DSP board fails what you're left with is not at all unlike a blackface Princeton downstream of R26/C64 on the schematic (widely available in the service manual): all tube, a gain stage, cathodyne phase inverter and fixed bias power stage. Able to take most any effects processor, or standalone tube, analog or digital preamp you choose. All you'd need is two short lengths of wire, a P10 jack and a soldering iron, or taking it to a tech for what shouldn't be more than a 15 minute job.

The mod has been performed by myself as well as some folks on the SCX2 owners topic over on the Amp Owners Clubs subforum and elsewhere - quick google and I got hits at TGP, a blog and a Reddit post to which I myself contributed also - and in fact is how I mostly use mine, with a Zoom MS50 plugged in, as it's less of a hassle to tweak the knobs on that than to bring out the laptop and start up Fender Fuse for the sort of deep(er) editing of parameters such as the mids control that the DSP has but provides no knob for on the faceplate.

So, for short - rest assured, if the DSP gives out on you, it's not a death sentence on the amp, in fact quite the opposite.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  5. Kevin Wolfe

Kevin Wolfe Tele-Meister

Thinking about selling mine off.

6. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I have had a SCx2 for nearly 10 years. I don’t use any of the amp models. I really like the reverb/delay setting. I put mine in a 12 inch cab with an Eminence Legend and I think it sounds great. I have a DRRI that I paid much more for that really doesn’t sound that much different. The only issue is that it (SCx2) is not really meant to serviced. But for the money who cares? If I get 10 years out of it I’ll just buy a new one.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  7. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

I'd forgotten about your mod. I'd think that a Tech 21 Blonde or Joyo American Sound pedal would be a great preamp in front of it.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  8. Zipslack

Zipslack Tele-Meister

If mine dies, I'll build a preamp and convert it to full tube, or just use a Valvecaster as the preamp.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  9. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Holic

Whoa! I had no idea something like this was possible... I just bought a '75 Champ as a backup because I was worried about my beloved SCX2 crapping out and being unserviceable. Hearing this is a relief... I already have an American Sound.

10. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Afflicted

i am intrigued.i have other amps but i love the x2 and would like to use it if the dsp went belly up.so far so good though.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.