super champ x2 speaker

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by jaxonplayer, Oct 20, 2014.

1. jaxonplayer

jaxonplayer TDPRI Member

i'm mainly an acoustic player andgot a tele about a year ago. also acquired a fender super champ x2 recently. has anyone upgraded the speaker in it and can it handle a 12 inch speaker. i don't know a whole lot about the electric world so i was wondering if it can be done and if its worth the trouble. i'll be playing in a praise church band with the tele and like the line out feature in the super champ which can be run through the p.a. any input would be appreciated.

2. Meshgearfox

Meshgearfox Tele-Meister

The X2 will drive 12" speakers just fine, but the cab doesn't have enough clearance to mount one. There are 10" replacement speakers (Eminence Ragin Cajun is popular) that will give you a bit more volume and a different tone. Otherwise, a 12" extension cab may be your best bet.

What are you hoping to accomplish with the speaker swap?

3. jaxonplayer

jaxonplayer TDPRI Member

not really sure. i guess more mellow tone on the clean channel, just something different in tone overall.

4. Meshgearfox

Meshgearfox Tele-Meister

Eminence Lil' Buddy would be worth trying. Weber and Tone Tubby also offer some mellow 10"s.

A beam blocker (Weber sells them, or you can just make your own) might tame the high end enough to suit your taste and would be a less expensive (free, if DIY) option.

5. jaxonplayer

jaxonplayer TDPRI Member

which eminence speaker do you recommend.

6. Coach56

Coach56 One of the Boys

I have a 2x12 semi open back cabinet and I put a pair of 25w hemp cone speakers in it. Sounds really nice with channel one on that amp.

The hemp cones, particularly the one with an AlNiCo magnet are way mellower then the stock speaker until you really make the growl.

Lots of folks really do love the Rage'n Cajun in there, it is about the most popular

-Harry

7. Meshgearfox

Meshgearfox Tele-Meister

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...e=&network=g&gclid=CN7qivK1vMECFYZaMgodaQgARg

The Lil Buddy looks like the kind of speaker you might want. On paper at least. I've never used one.

I have tried the Ragin Cajun, Copperhead, and 1028. The Copperhead is my favorite of the three, but all of them are rather bright and probably not what you are looking for.

8. jaxonplayer

jaxonplayer TDPRI Member

the lil buddy does look good on paper and the price ain't bad. anybody here have one or played through one?

9. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

I liked the Emi Ragin Cajun in mine. Louder and more focused tone for guitar.

10. Tinman46

Tinman46 Tele-Meister

I have the X2 head and 1x12 cab. I've played it through a 2x12 with a pair of Celestion V30's. It was a vast improvement over the Celestion G12P-80 although not nearly as portable. I may at some point swap it for a single V30.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.