Super Champ X2 Choice

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by vashondan, Nov 18, 2019.

1. vashondan

vashondan Tele-Holic

So, I was going to get a PRRI but Sweetwater (or Fender) doesn't have the financing I was hoping for (48 mths). So I noticed two X2's one a Wine Red with a Greeback in it and a Tweed with a Rajun Cajun, The former is 499 and the later 479.

I already have an X2 with a Celestion Gold in it which I love but am now thinking about another one of these baby's with a different vibe. With either of the above choices i could always switch out the speaker but these seem like good choices. I'm after on the warm jazz like sound.

Which would you pick? Or, is there another amp in that price range that might fit my desires?

I might still go with the Princeton but I was stretching it with the 48mth financing (it's now 36mths).

Sorry for being so wordy!

2. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I think either sounds cool, but I'd lean toward the wine red with the Greenback, just because I like Greenbacks and it is a great speaker.

3. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

I like a jazz sound both for arch tops and solid bodies. I have two amps right now. One is an SCX2 with a Weber hemp ceramic magnet speaker in it, and the other is a VHT 12/20 Special with a Weber hemp alnico magnet speaker in it. Really happy with both.

4. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Depends on how BF Fendery you need it to be. The Greenback will likely preserve some BF sparkle at the top. The Ragin Cajun will reduce the BF sparkle and have a little more in your face midrange bark, as well as being a louder speaker.

5. vashondan

vashondan Tele-Holic

Well, I ordered the Tweed just because I like the tweed look. I'll deal with the speaker if I'm not into Ragin there's a 1028k or a 1058 somewhere with my name on it. This is going in the living room spot where a Champ 20 resides. It may go in the bedroom. Thinking of buying a cheapo Tele for the bedroom. Probably will never use either but it's for the atmosphere!

6. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Afflicted

Great choice!
    You already have the Celestion Gold, good idea to get the Eminence for a great balance...
    I have both speakers (RC & Greenback) so I can use them alternate with my SCX2 head...
    You can also connect another speaker instead of the one inside... try it and choose later...

vashondan likes this.
  7. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic

I had bought a custom cab to fit my SCXD with a 12" speaker but didnt like it and put it back stock for that Princeton 10" vibe. But I wanted a second SCXD to leave at the practice space so I bought a used SCX2 head for $200 and put it in the 12" cab along with an Eminence GA-SC64 speaker. I nice deeper, richer sound. Two SCXDs, The best of both worlds!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

8. vashondan

vashondan Tele-Holic

Buyers remorse. So last night I decided why do i want another of the same amp when I really want a PRRI. So I emailed my sales guy at Sweetwater and said lets go with the Princeton and I'll return the Superchamp when it gets here. This means that I'll have to put a few hundred bucks on their 36 months plan. Felt solid about it last night and this morning Im having second, third and fourth thoughts about the whole thing. Now my wicked brain is saying just stay with what you've got forget buying anything new let alone putting something on credit.

DANG! Shut up brain! You're driving me crazy. You guys ever gone through this?

9. Bob M

Bob M Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've had a SCx2 for years. Mine is in a custom cab with an Emi 1258 legend. I used to play with a guy who had a PRRI and I always thought the SC kept up real well. I recently sold off some stuff and bought a DRRI. That amp is a giant leap over both the SCx2 and the PRRI. Some will say it's too loud, but even at low volumes I think it's a great sound. Just trying to cloud your judgement...

vashondan likes this.
  10. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

Having had both a PRRI and a SCDX, IME, the SCDX works better for me gig-wise for the simple factor that the SCDX remains clean at louder volumes than the PRRI. I realize part of the charm of the PRRI is its breakup point, and the tonality associated with it, but, for me, Fender clean is king. My SCDX still has a 10" speaker in it, but about as far from the cheap stock POS: a JBL D110F has been installed. I understand not everyone has a D110 available to them, but this speaker really works for me- no more speaker flub or fart, lots of glisten and sparkle on the top end, and that JBL punch that seems to move the amp forward in the mix.

Bob M likes this.
  11. guitarmikey

And yeah, for jazz I sometimes use a 15" Eminence with my SCX2. RC seems a little too harsh. The 15' stays in pine cabinet DIY (as well as my Ragin' Cajun)

12. vashondan

vashondan Tele-Holic

So you open up an interesting train of thought I haven't considered before. That is having another speaker in a separate cabinet. How much do cabinets go for and do they come with a line in to connect from the amp? Also, can you turn off the speaker in the combo?

13. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

_561.JPG

Tonemonster and jimash like this.
  14. guitarmikey

I make my DIY pine (very resonant) cabinets... (cheap cabinets at thomann shop)
    Usually, speaker in combos can be unplugged (jack connector) so you can plug another cabinet. If not, it's a simple mod...
    But NEVER unplug a speaker when the amp is ON. You will fry it!!!
    If you intend, I dare to recommend to get a two speakers cabinet, it will sound fuller/bigger. 2x10" or 2x12"... should be 8 ohms still!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    vashondan likes this.
  15. LightningPhil

LightningPhil Tele-Meister

The ragin cujan is great. Quite bright like a Celestion, but with a touch more bass than the greenback. Basically it’s more balanced and versatile. You can always use the tone pots to limit bandwidth. Have used one in my x2 for years.

Rowdyman and guitarmikey like this.
  16. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

Not to be negative, but I was never able to bond with my SuperChamp XD. It was both loud and farty, especially with the E and A strings. I replaced the stock speaker with a Weber. Farty and flabby were gone but the amp went from too loud on 3 to way too loud. The high gain emulator settings were unusable at indoor volumes. The XD now lives in my basement unused. I replaced it with a Mesa Boogie Express 5:25. I get great clean tone with an edge if I want it at a volume I can sing over without a mic and turned up a little, all the volume I need clean or with a little crunch. I use two channels, one set for twang and one for jazz. No pedals needed except for occasional use of a compressor. I fully realize that the amps are worlds apart price wise but I actually paid less for the Express than what GC was asking for a DRRI. Tube amps with a great dynamic range are out there and you can find one for not a lot more than a PRRI. My opinion based on personal experience is that under $700 to $1000, a good solid state amp may prove to be a better choice than an XD or X2.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    Rowdyman likes this.
  17. vashondan

vashondan Tele-Holic

I would still get the PRRI if I could. The X2 with a gold in it has been great to me.

18. InkStained

InkStained Tele-Meister

I used a Ragin Cajun for a lot of years in my Princeton Recording Amp. Big-sounding speaker. Plenty of headroom and overdrive is *very* controlled. You can fool yourself into thinking it's a 12 sometimes.

But it does dampen blackface 3-D sparkle a bit. I have 10-in Celestion Gold in my Princeton now, but I have not sold the RC.

guitarmikey likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.