1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Super Champ head chassis size for homemade cab?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by yegbert, Oct 30, 2020.

1. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

Hello all! I have been just occasionally lurking here for some time now, this is my first post in ages.

I have a homemade convertible 1x12/1x15 pine cab a friend made for me for an old silverface Champ which I then converted to house a Frontman 25R - I drilled new holes in the top to mount the chassis, the size was close to identical. Now I'm considering graduating it to use a new Super Champ from a head model.

The cabinet opening is about 15.5" wide , with a Fender-typical slanted front opening about 2.25", and is deep enough for a chassis that is 8.25" at top and 9.25" at its bottom.

The Super Champ X2 dimensions look close enough on Sweetwater's site to require no to minimal cabinet mods. Do any of you have one of the newer Super Champ heads and would be kind enough to measure it for me?

yegbert

2. yegbert

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Here’s the cab!

tubegeek likes this.
  3. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

20201030_141953.jpg 20201030_142148.jpg 20201030_142209.jpg 20201030_142551.jpg

Don't know if this will help you out. This is a yr old SCX2 and looks to be the same as the original (on bottom) Sorry for the crappy pics. Needed a 3rd hand

The bottom looks to be 8 1/2" on the outside, top is 7 1/2" and the back access is a straight 16" wide and apx 5 7/8" high. The actual access plate is 4" high.

Minus the 1/2" on the top and bottom from the wood that should give you apx the cavity dimensions. I think.

Anyway, hope it helps. Good luck

4. yegbert

Yep, that does help. Height doesn't seem to be a problem, at least for the 12" speaker I have in it now, maybe even with a 15". Width *might* be tight with the 15.5" compared to the 16" you show, but the chassis on yours looks like it has a gap from it to the cab on each side.

Thanks!

yegbert

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.