Super Bowl? Ehhh.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by FenderGuy53, Feb 4, 2019.

1. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

What happened?
    I had a great nap.

daddyplaysbass likes this.
  2. jazzereh

jazzereh Tele-Meister

Boring game but I'm not a big football [American style that is] fan. My BBQ wings were great!

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Not sure.

I think the Chiefs could've given them a lot of trouble. :^)

+

Some prominent so and so in Atlanta (ya'll know who it was) said some disparaging things about the Saints, not wanting them there. I wonder if the sentiment still holds? A game like this, the fans probably skedaddled the first moment they could; spent about as much money as they felt there was enthusiasm in the whole thing.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  4. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

I think Steve Young put it best "Jarod Goff was not present". Should have been the Saints/Chiefs - we got cheated out of an exciting Superbowl with two QBs that I could've guaranteed wouldn't have gone missing at game time.

Rev Rhythm likes this.
  5. BuckNekkid

BuckNekkid Tele-Meister

That was yesterday?

boris bubbanov likes this.
  6. daddyplaysbass

daddyplaysbass Tele-Holic

I missed it again; 53 in a row. They need to publicize it more.

At least I got to watch some good dirt late model racing on Mav TV.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    Bruxist likes this.
  7. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Obviously if you didn't have a dog in the fight and were a casual fan the lack of offense probably was boring. I thought that you saw 2 great defenses-coached by outstanding defensive minds-neutralize 2 offenses that were in the top 4 offenses of the NFL. Reminded me of 1960s grind it out football. Somewhere Vince Lombardi is smiling.

Teleguy61 likes this.
  8. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

We were invited to attend the SB party at a friend's house. Personally I'm not into sports so by request, I brought a few board games with me. The ladies watched the game. The guys played board games.

I guess the game wasn't all that impressive :)

Carl

9. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yeah...whatever happened to the good old days...when it was a PARTY...

uriah1, dkmw and OlRedNeckHippy like this.
  10. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

...and THAT (Super Bowel 53) is WHY the TV has 'other' channels/stations, so you can change to something worth watching (wink,wink)!

P.S. 'Hidden' PUN intended!

11. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

Man, that had to have been the most boring game ever. I fell asleep at halftime and woke up after it was over.

Last year's game was MUCH better.

12. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I watched the first half even though I don't care for either team and it was anything but boring, it was a great defensive battle. I didn't watch the second half because the Pats were going to pull ahead and win and also because the halftime show (which my son wanted to watch) gave me a headache.

PCollen likes this.
  13. boris bubbanov

Lombardi smiling at a New England style team? My goodness, that's weird.

Look. I lived in Chelmsford. My nephews grew up in Worchester. Avid Patriots fans once, they readily conceded that if the NFL keeps going this direction, nobody will be watching at all. They were disgusted and wished they hadn't bothered to watch.

The NFL and its old Defense-Fests (even great battles) lost out to Major League Baseball. They changed the game to attract the fans we saw in the 80s and 90s, etc. Your notion that you could revert back to the kind of football we had as kids, with all the visual stimulation people get these days, this just isn't going to work out for you.

You've got people right now, at some of these big Sporting Goods retail chains, and they're canceling orders and trying to decide what other sorts of merchandise will take its place. They're talking about considering closing store locations, for Goodness Sake!

14. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

Super Bowl day is always a good time to enjoy some outdoor activity without any crowds.

When I was in college a group of us would augment our consciousness (wink) and go to Disney World. We could run around like maniacs without scaring many other people.

Later in life, it was always a great day to fish a normally pressured spot or use some usually-packed boat ramp.

15. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

I don't see how anyone can say the Pats didn't belong there. I don't think they were the best team in the league, but they won when they needed to.

Jerry J and Teleguy61 like this.
  16. boris bubbanov

Look at it this way:

The Patriots have their role, as a foil if nothing else for the "It" team of the opposing conference. But what if the "It" team doesn't show up because it wasn't invited? People have seen New England so many times in the last 2 decades, if they're going to be there then it is IMPERATIVE that the other team really put on a show and it doesn't actually matter which team wins, because people keep watching and buy NFL stuff and so on.

By definition, any time the "best team in the league" (whether it be the Chiefs, the Saints, or someone else who wasn't there) is not participating, the validity of the game is cast in terrible doubt. Now, you've got to compensate with something spectacular happening between the 2 teams who do show up, or at least you have to have the best Halftime Show ever (not) and so all the cheated viewer got was Gladys Knight singing well if a few seconds too long.

I remember low scoring slugfests in early Championship matches in the NFL and the key was, virtually everyone was at least satisfied that the right two teams were slugging it out. In this situation the ticket holder and the TV viewer got ripped off coming and going, left to right and up to down. This is the essence of why the game was so awful (or so say my friends and family who watched).

drf, I'm looking past the outcome of the game and trying to evaluate the long term economic sustainability of the NFL in general and the Superbowl in particular. I don't think anyone can consider their job well done just because their team got a box checked. If you're going to invite yourself into the homes of the (primarily) American public, you have to do more than just win. You've got to entertain people and I don't think anyone is claiming that this game was one of the better games in the annals of the NFL. I know what the Post Game Buzz after this game is supposed to be like, based on past experience. This was Buzz Kill instead.

And I'm saying "The Pats didn't Belong There". Can and did say and explained why. Think about how seldom such things are even said, before you offer a stock rebuttal.

17. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I dunno, Boris. Rams were playing amazing football all season long. No one expected it to be a battle of two defenses.

There may be some confirmation bias here on my part, but I do feel like eyes can be a window on the soul, for most people, anyway.
    (Sociopaths are often able to give you whatever reading they want to give you...) When you looked at Brady he had the "eye of the tiger"-
    seriously in the zone. Goff looked lost. He had moments, but I agree with the Steve Young comment that he didn't show up to some extent.
    Anyway, it's interesting to me how much you can infer just from someone's facial expression and body language....usually.

Conversely, in both the AFC and NFC championships, all four quarterbacks (including Goff) seemed fully in the zone, all the way to the end.

18. Dixon in Korea

Dixon in Korea Tele-Meister

It would have been a great defensive battle if it had looked like the Pats D was shutting down a great Rams offense. There was no great Ram’s offense there. There was no Ram’s offense there (until too little much too late).

19. boris bubbanov

Over time, I think the best games (Division, Conference, etc.) are where most of the players and especially the QB have at least some previous experience. And the bad ones have involved teams with too many key members who were getting by one day at a time, based on victories of long ago, or key players are hurt or out, or the key members are Brand New Guys with either no team experience or no experience at all.

Every once in a while, a Cinderella team keeps it together, but normally they're eventually going to have issues. Now, the people in Los Angeles can go back to all their other diversions and forget about the NFL again, because well, they knew this Rams team wasn't it anyway. :^

20. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

...and, long ago, Shakespeare wrote: "...much ado about nothing..."

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.