Super Basic Recording Question

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Telecaster88, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Holic

I'm going to be recording in a few weeks, for the first time in 25 years... Back in the day I always just plugged straight into an amp, no outboard effects. Since then I've become enamored of my Dyna Comp Deluxe and it's basically "always on."

My simple question is... when I go to record do I play through the Dyna Comp, or should I just add compression during the mixing?

Does it matter, and is one better than the other? Thanks!

2. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

best possible take without anything..but if your sound is using that device & you kinda count on it for desired tonal effect, then use it...we always opt for best possible capture...sounding how you want it right then & there...yes the mix can move things around but it can not fix a bad capture

3. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My basic rule of thumb is anything time-based (delay, reverb, etc) is added after tracking, anything in front of the amp that directly affects the sound of the amp (compressor, wah, OD/distortion) gets used when tracking.

Biffasmum, Mjark, popthree and 4 others like this.
  4. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If you have something with two outputs, like a Boss TU-2, you can record one track clean and a second track through the pedal. You'll have choices.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  5. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Hi.

I’m with this. But, I would add (probably unnecessarily), if the delay or reverb, etc. is part of your ‘sound’ and you ‘play’ it, then track that too.

In fact, if it’s something that helps you play well, then it’s probably important to use it.

And, you can always try both (assuming time is not mega bucks in your situation). See what sticks.

Pax/
    Dean

Biffasmum likes this.
  6. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

I’d start from the question am I recording something I (we) can perform or something out there in DAW DAW land.

7. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Always create the tone at the source. Get your amp sounding the way you want in the room, then figure out the best way to get it into the DAW. "Fixing it in the mix" is a recipe for headaches and heartaches.

Biffasmum, suthol, Pineears and 3 others like this.
  8. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

Dyna Comps are cool.

Especially the older ones.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  9. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Holic

I'm not smart enough to explain why they do what they do, but I've always said turning the Dyna Comp on is like sprinkling magic dust on my amp.

10. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

A Dynacomp is different to a studio comp. If it’s part of your sound then use it. If you are concerned you could always split the signal and send a dry signal straight to the desk for reamping later. But that shouldn’t be necessary. Better to keep it simple and get it right to start with.

Telecaster88 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.