Super’Trons w/500K or 250K pots?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by D_Malone, Jul 23, 2019.

1. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

I have a Suhr Classic T with TV Jones Super’Trons and 500K volume/500K tone. With the tone rolled back about 10% it’s perfect. Would 250K pots be too dark? Maybe 500K/250K? Maybe just keep the tone rolled back and play my dang guitar?

2. Golem

Golem Tele-Holic

I don't usually do my own wiring so my explanation will be vague, but there is a way to effectively make a 500k pot behave exactly like that 10% you roll-off.

I heard about this from Bill Lawrence suggesting people start with a 1 meg pot and add resistors (I think?) to the pot until they find a value they like.

D_Malone likes this.
  3. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

You might like a 250k pot with those. I did not. In fact I think the guy that sold me the cabronita didn't either, hence the sale. I swapped it for a 500k pot & it sounds much better.

If you can roll it back 10% & get your happy place why would you want to move to a 250k pot? Even dimed a 250k pot will sound dark.

D_Malone likes this.
  4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I have 500k pots on both my Supertron equipped guitars.
    They work perfectly.

D_Malone likes this.
  5. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

Ya know, for decades I’ve never used the tone pot on my guitars. I’ve always just left them at 100% and dialed in my amp/pedals. I’m not sure why. I mean, tone controls have a purpose, right? It makes sense for the guitar to be a tad bright and use the tone control to find the sweet spot, rather than be too dark and have to compensate with amp/pedal tone controls.
    I never gave this much thought. Carry on...

bender66 likes this.
  6. Chris Winsemius

Chris Winsemius Tele-Meister

like having the tone-control on 9?

Grab a bunch of resistors from let's say 1M, 1M2, 2M2, 3M3, 4M7 and so on, try the value you like while adding the resistor in parallel to the solderd connections of your tone-pot

250k would probably too dark so this way you can get something inbetween

7. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I always set my volume and tone at 8 and then set the amp for those settings. I can then roll off for a darker tone or roll up for brighter tone and more volume to cut through if needed.

If the amp settings aren't a fix for you, you might consider a higher value tone cap. If you have a .022 cap, then maybe a .033 or .047 cap would be better for you.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.