1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Sunn Model T RI Build... Insane???

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by jrohlf301, Mar 9, 2021.

1. jrohlf301

jrohlf301 NEW MEMBER!

Hey all! I'm brand new to this forum and am excited to get started in the world of DIY amps.

I've been getting a taste for DIY builds and have been doing so with pedals and speaker cabs. I haven't yet, however, built an amp. I'd like to dip my toes into it.

My question is regarding whether my end goal (my "dream amp" if you will) is realistic or attainable after having a few simpler builds under my belt, or if this particular amp is just too complicated to be feasible for a hobbyist to build. The amp in question is the Fender Reissue of the Sunn Model T. Yes, I know the reissue is nothing like the original, but that's exactly why I'm interested in it specifically. I really love the sound of it as a standalone amp and the added features like a 25-watt mode, a high gain channel so I can get saturated tones at volumes at least safe for my hearing, and an FX Loop are all ideal features. Another reason I chose this one specifically is that I was able to find a very detailed document from the Fender website with the entire schematic AND layout pages (attached to the post)

So, from looking at the schematic, how do you more experienced builders feel? If I study up a lot, try a few simpler builds (my plan was a 5E3 to start using the Stewmac step-by-step guide, then move on to an AB165 Bassman because I actually own one and can thus have a tangible example of what I'm going for, and maybe some more from there depending on what y'all recommend), would it be feasible that I could just take my time, be patient, follow the schematic to a T, and end up with the amp I'm looking for? Have any of you completed amps with this much going on? Thanks so much for any pointers you could give.

Attached Files:

2. 2L man

2L man Tele-Meister

Even if you get its PC board and components building that schematic require lots of skilled work and then troubleshooting inevitable mistakes needs good electric knowledge to solve. I believe you enjoy more building a simpler classic amp first which gets finished much faster and cheaper.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
  3. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

Welcome to TDPRI.

There are those who enjoy building circuits with a lot of detail and you might be one of them. Very few of the shock brothers tackle projects with this level of build complexity. It is not impossible.
    If I were in your shoes, I might look for a Model T that needs work instead of building one.

I would think you would want to have at least two builds that had a lot of detail before tackling the Model T.

Brush up on safety with high voltages. Read through several of Rob Robinette's Build/Mod sites. Learn about ground schemes.

Have fun learning.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.