1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

SUNN amps-Where's the sound come from?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by iansmitchell, Aug 3, 2009.

1. iansmitchell

iansmitchell Tele-Afflicted

So I've been interested lately in SUNN amps, as used by jimi hendrix and leslie west, what exactly makes them sound so... meaty?

2. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity

The ones he used at Monterey?

I think those were Sunn Colliseum PA's... if so, the [email protected]!!$ are coming from a quad of KT88 power tubes.

3. iansmitchell

Shoot. I've heard it had to do with the cascades of the preamps, vague memory of something like "all the channels being daisy chained through each other", i.e. a massive preamp cascade. Is that remotely true?

4. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity

You're probably right, take a look for yourself... the Colliseum PA is definitely not the typical Fender/Marshall:

http://www.schematicheaven.com/newamps/sunn_coliseum_pa.pdf

Two channels ganged together and summed with the other two (each dual is a 12AX7). Each channel has a 500k pot to grid (allowing more control of gain/input drive, though they're all unbypassed at stage one). Plate fed tonestack feeding a... 6AN8 pentode?

Every muscle in a quad of KT88's is mean, but looking at that pre and PI is pretty interesting too.

I might have too much rum in me right now, but this thread is a nice departure from the usual DIY amp stuff :)

5. iansmitchell

Hmmm. I know a lot of old harp player coveted amps had a hearty preamp cascade.
    But man, the schematic, compared to the 5F1 champ, mannn...
    I mean, my twin's a beast, but that sunn is even more so!
    Wonder how much the design could be scaled down, into a quad of 6V6s, or EL84s, with a similar preamp. Has anyone ever done a mini-coliseums?

6. iansmitchell

bump

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.