1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Sunglasses

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Steerforth, Jul 28, 2020.

1. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

tintag27, T-Bone and Steerforth like this.
  2. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

New scrips ...

F291549A-C824-4FEF-80ED-364D89473351.jpeg

3. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Holic

I don't really wear sunglasses. Don't own any.

I wear various ski goggles depending on conditions - possibly mirrored. I suppose I have some orangey brown lenses for my cycling glasses, that kind of count.

Steerforth likes this.
  4. T-Bone

T-Bone Tele-Afflicted

RayBan Clubmaster.
    If it’s daytime and I’m outside, I’m wearing them.

Steerforth likes this.
  5. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

You NEED them here. Optical cancer can be the result, een in winter, when the sun is low, you need to protect the cornea and retina.
    They shot Mad Max in the north of my state, and some other films as, geographically ( on planet Earth ) the lighting is good for film making.

Steerforth likes this.
  6. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Telefied Ad Free Member

My every day sunnies are Bolle wrap-arounds. I also have a pair of KDs but I don't like them as they are not polarised.

Steerforth likes this.
  7. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

I still have my Ray-Bans from 1980 Wayfarers and a pair of Wayfarer II's. The Wayfarer II's were damaged in a skiing accident. I also have my wraparound Oakleys that David Duval used to sport near the turn of the century. Bolle eyecups I've had since 2005 are the best glass I have, with polarization. I have Hobie Cats aviator style with polarized lenses, I think I bought in the late 80's. I have Serengeti eyecup styled sunglasses that have lost their ability to change optical density, as my driving glasses. They have ended up in my auto's sunglass holder, since I accidently drove over the empty case; one of my favorites...

If you leave them in the door bins of your car and invest in a case, it really is easy to maintain them. Also, being a golf fanatic, helps. Though my vision is worsening over the last few years and now I need readers I found some readers at Sam's club that emulate the Wayfarer II style, but are bifocals; they look really good, like before I damaged the frame on my original pair.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    Steerforth likes this.
  8. sudogeek

sudogeek Tele-Meister

Currently Costa Kiwas, polarized. I prefer the yellow/brown UV blocking color. About $200 retail but my buddy Doug owns a surf shop so I get them at his cost. Even at $200, they’re a lot cheaper than the prescription ones I used to get before I got my cataracts fixed.

Steerforth likes this.
  9. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

I’ve had vision issues my entire life. But I got the word early to protect what I have by wearing polorized glasses out side at all times. I’ve done so from high school until now. Blond hair, blue eyes and the opthemologist is amazed I don’t have major cataracts. My style of shades have gone from the wire frame Poloroids off the rack in the late 60’s to glacier glasses to my current aviator style frames all as dark as the polorized lenses can be.

Steerforth likes this.
  10. Throttleneck

Throttleneck Tele-Afflicted

I was at the air and space museum in DC and saw the sunglasses used for Apollo 11 and they have become my go to sunglasses.

A number of companies make this model.

[​IMG]

Steerforth and BFcaster like this.
  11. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

sounds like you are on top of the world!

Steerforth likes this.
  12. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

It’s awesome how much more bad-azz everyone looks in their sunglasses!

Steerforth likes this.
  13. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Some more than others.

[​IMG]

Steerforth and P-Nutz like this.
  14. BFcaster

BFcaster Tele-Meister

These have been my main sunglasses since 1983, official gov't issue, when I was a wee lad of 15 and saw Apocalypse Now for the 3rd time or so. I'm an aviation/history buff, though not a pilot, btw. I dropped my original pair on concrete after 8 years of service and -crack- there went the left lens. Bought a replacement, same thing happened after about 8 years...Bought a 3rd pair and still regularly wear those, although the gold has seen better days after all these years!!! When canoeing/fishing with them I use a 'granny chain' on them, ala Dennis Hopper in Apocalypse Now, and it really works well!! Look for 'em at your pharmacy, they still have the same ones your grade school teacher used. I swear!
    About 18 years ago I started wearing some imitation Wayfairers bought an the 'bay for maybe 5 bucks a pair. The need was because I also am blonde (or was...) and blue-eyed and needed darker shades for super-bright snowy winter days. I bought 5 pairs, thinking at that price I'd break 'em soon enough and have spares. Not the case!!! Still on my first pair, wife has a pair (and looks hot in 'em too), and we gave a pair to her son about 10 years ago to try. That leaves two, and they are still in their protective plastic (NOS).
    And 2 years ago I got nostalgic for the 80's. Got me some polarized granny glasses (think Costner in Bull Durham). They're pretty cool, but side-glare is an issue at times when driving.
    Yeah, all that and 2 Teles in Butterscotch (aka tinted/aged blonde- like me!).

Throttleneck and Steerforth like this.
  15. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Holic

Seriously? 6 pages in and nobody has posted this?

Alamo and Steerforth like this.
  16. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

I love the older Wayfarer II's because they're perfect if you have a large head like I do (my hat size is 7 5/8) and you want glass lenses, the frame is wide enough and the temples long enough to fit well after they've been adjusted properly.

17. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Very expensive. But worth it. No lense quite like those.

I've got some great Oakleys, raybans, and Serengeti.. Get a new pair every 2 years, so it's become a collection.

Maui Jim are by far the nicest. IMHO.

18. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I owned a few pairs of Maui Jims (in fact still have one pair), and agree the lens are awesome. I bought some Persols about a year ago though, and have to say, I think they're a little bit better. But they are my two favorite brands of sunglasses.

My Persol lens have never scratched. My MJ's scratched pretty easily, I was a little disappointed in that.

19. JJLC

JJLC Tele-Holic

I bought 6 pairs at a dollar store back in the 1990s in Dallas, Texas; still have one pair left.
    These are Made In India & they are great. $1 a pair = more $$$ for guitar crap.

20. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

Chrissie Hynde - Dark Sunglasses :cool:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.