Sunday Setlist?

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by StephenEvans, Jan 6, 2017.

1. StephenEvans

StephenEvans TDPRI Member

Since I'm curious about how other praise & worship teams operate:

Does everyone here tend to put together a particular setlist for Sunday mornings or do you just go with the flow?

For us, we have rehearsal during the week where we'll go over older and newer material. Sunday mornings we just go where the Holy Spirit takes us.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  2. SBClose

SBClose Tele-Meister

I work to plan our songs, scripture readings and other elements of the worship service in a narrative arc that supports the theme of our pastor's message for the day. Our pastor is very open to this and allows me access during the week to pick his brain in terms of the direction of the message particularly beginning and landing. I try to have a working plan for a service about two weeks out but its always a work in progress... sometimes a song will get dumped or swapped in rehearsal if it isn't working or the boss has a last minute request.

Our rehearsal happens before service on Sunday morning (no mid week) but the players have access to the set list, charts, etc. on planning center online during the week so they can see the plan and be prepared. The musicians will get a New Song Alert from me along with a target date for presenting it. We can usually find time to noodle with it in the weeks leading up to its introduction. On RARE occasions I'll show up with a new song on the day we're to use it in worship, see "Rocket Science" below.

Musically, we're pretty loose. I have no desire to do things like they're done on any specific recording. The point is to create a musical environment that the people want to be a part of by singing together. This happens when the playas are given space to be authentic in their musicianship. The folks I get to play with are experienced and talented and the music we use ain't exactly rocket science. I- IV- V- vi in A...got it? Four on the Floor, or whatever, groove, count it in...

We use lyrics on screen for the congregation so we have to have things planned and loaded, there is some room to go with the flow as I often repeat a portion of a song or return to it later in the service but the boundaries are established.

3. StephenEvans

Our rehearsal is on Tuesday and we do a soundcheck/rehearsal Sunday morning for an hour.
    We're a small but talented and tight knit bunch of musicians. Myself on guitar (sometimes bass), piano/keys player, bassist, saxophone player and a drummer. We're capable of picking up quick if the worship leader calls an audible and wants a song that we may not have done in months. We also have the lyrics on screen for the congregation.
    For the last year, our pastor has been more interested in drawing everyone closer to presence than preaching. There have been some Sundays where we get up there expecting to play for maybe an hour and we go non stop for 2 and a half. We like to move as the Spirit does and if we're in an intense environment of worship he'll let that play out for as long as it does. It's quite powerful.

Smokin OP likes this.
  4. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

We have a set list--or order of service for the day--and a standard worship format--which we almost but not always follow.

The worship leader and I separately or together brainstorm lists of songs that reflect EITHER the emphasis of the text I'm preaching on that Sunday OR the larger theme of a series. She puts them into an order that makes sense in our format. I approve or sometimes suggest changes to the list.

Our standard worship order is Gathering Songs (3 or more and a prayer); Scripture readings and message; Offering including a song, communion or something else that has a "sacramental" quality, with singing 2 or more songs; announcements, benediction and sending song. On a typical week, we sing at least 7 and maybe more worship songs. We draw from old hymns and gospel songs, some "liturgical renewal" music, like songs by David Haas or Marty Haugen, for example, and both new and old P and W songs. What this does, if you're a worship geek, is synthesize the historical 4 part worship structure used by many Catholic, Episcopal, Lutheran and other historical churches, with the ideas behind charismatic, particularly Vineyard style, worship.

The format isn't rigid, but we usually follow the basic outline. Communion is really an altar call.

Within the format, we seldom sing songs that weren't on the list. But the songs don't have arrangements. They go however they go at the time. Our brief "rehearsal" is really just making sure that everybody knows what the songs sound like. Then whatever happens in worship happens.

5. Jhengsman

Jhengsman Tele-Holic

We normally get a proposed set list on Thursday, sometimes a song or two would be traded out Sunday morning. We used to have the capability to improvise a groove and back up a random song some brother felt the Spirit moved him to lead but lost that ability with band member changes

6. dmitri

dmitri Tele-Meister

Leader makes a loose list, and we often deviate based on what the leader feels we should do. We rehearse about an hour and a half before service, but that's it. We like to keep it pretty easy going.

7. consumnfire1229

consumnfire1229 TDPRI Member

Generally, our worship set is only 3 songs. We have 3 lead singers and we will each lead a song on Sunday. 7 times out of 10, we will do the songs we practiced during the week. Occasionally, we will change it out or we will throw a 4th song in.

Our team tends to be very structured and likes to do each song exactly as the original. This is very frustrating for me as I tend to be and want to be more spontaneous. I've been pleading with our worship team to flow with the spirit. While we have talented musicians, we do the best we can with what we have.

8. StephenEvans

We practice our songs as they're written but then put our own spin on them. Plenty of room for improv - and being a part of a praise team that flows with the spirit I don't know if I could play a rigid 3-5 song set with only certain songs. It seems like it's too restrictive.

9. SnowStorm

SnowStorm Tele-Meister

We use a list of songs for our service. My wife is our program coordinator and she does the final pick, but is often asking for song suggestions from the band and others. I like the more contemporary stuff in the mix (say after 2013) but she likes the older favorites too, so between the two of us we get a pretty good mix of song types/styles.

10. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

I would love to get our group to this level. Busy week and folks not be able to make practice so you pull 4 tunes from memory.

StephenEvans likes this.
  11. MrCairo46

Here's our list for 2/5
    Come now is the time to Worship
    Beautiful one
    Father Spirit Jesus OR Blessed be Your name
    You are my King (Amazing Love )

12. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

Our church secretary gets bulletins printed on Thursday, so songs
    have to be turned in on Thursday morning. Nice to know ahead of
    time what we'll be playing~but sure glad not to be the one tasked
    with song choice every week...

13. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Tele-Holic

with clicks, loops and guide tracks that we have in our ears during the services, our set is pretty much have to be set a week before (no pun intended). the 3 back-to-back Sunday services we have are also scheduled pretty tight, timing-wise. The set works with for our church, with little wiggle room here and there.

14. MrCairo46

Thinking of an eternal set.
    Forever
    Everlasting God
    Your Love never fails
    and how about
    Leaning on the Everlasting arms.......
    Got another softer slower song suggestion out there??

15. SnowStorm

SnowStorm Tele-Meister

This is our upcoming service for February. We usually have one service per month with the contemporary group.

Opening:

- Unstoppable God - Elevation Worship

- One Thing Remains (Your Love Never Fails) - Jesus Culture

- From the Inside Out - Hillsong

- Your Grace is Enough - Matt Maher

Now the Feast: Marty Haugan

- Kyrie

- Now the Feast

- Lamb of God

- Great Thanksgiving (Thanks be to You)

- Joy of the Lord (?) Rend Collective

Communion/Oil:

- Cornerstone - Hillsong

- Everlasting God - Chris Tomlin

- Step by Step - Rich Mullins

- 10,000 Reasons (extra) Matt Redmond

Ending:

- This is Amazing Grace - Phil Wickham

16. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

edit ~ it looks like I replied to the wrong "Setlist" thread.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  17. StephenEvans

So, we're having guest speakers come up for 3 days.
    Services at 7pm Friday, 7pm Saturday, 10am & 6pm Sunday.

In the last 2 weeks it's been nothing but praise and worship sessions at church.
    Not a bit of preaching. No set songs. Things we may rehearse on Tuesdays we don't even touch when Sunday morning comes around.
    Some Sundays, it's been in excess of 3 hour performances from us.

Gonna be interesting to see how things flow this weekend.

o_O:cool:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.