Sunday Morning Players -- Special Guidelines

Status
Not open for further replies.

sax4blues

Poster Extraordinaire
One of the things I really like about TDPRI seems to be one of the big challenges for Paul.

The group in general is very knowledgeable, articulate, and respectful on a wide range of subjects. So we end up with threads about A-Rod, missing a loved cat, Chevy Camaro, Growing peppers, ... and on and on. This willingness to ask/share in a good environment is really special. The challenge in working with knowledgeable, articulate people is sometimes it's like herding cats. One gets their tail stepped on by accident and the cat herdsman has to calm things down.

It would be easy and simple to just say "music only". But then I probably wouldn't visit as often. I applaud the work done here to keep this a great place to visit.

Last edited:

Doug Ferguson

Friend of Leo's
"Worship Service Players" seems perfectly acceptable. Even within a religious tradition, worship may take place on days other than Sunday. It seems to me that broading the title of this forum should encouage more particpation from those who help lead worship services through music, particularly played on guitar, regardless of their religion. Besides, the common ground of TDPRI is love of guitars, especially tele's. That's what led me here, at any rate. And as pointed out in an earlier post, there are other forums in which to discuss religion. I wish most of them were as well moderated to maintain civil discourse as TDPRI.

Mike Gracey

TDPRI Member
Greetings,
I started to play my pink paisely fender in a conservative church many years ago and a lady said that she thought an electric gaitar was the devil's instrument. I told her, "This one is saved."
The rest of the church say, "Let the boy play."
Regards,
Mike G.

djmcconnell

TDPRI Member
Greetings,
I started to play my pink paisely fender in a conservative church many years ago and a lady said that she thought an electric gaitar was the devil's instrument. I told her, "This one is saved."
The rest of the church say, "Let the boy play."
Regards,
Mike G.

Hilarious! What a nice response to a modern-day pharisee.

gospeltwang

TDPRI Member
All I want to do is play my tele.

i play in church. We are a southern baptist church with a country type band. We have piano,organ,drums,steel guitar, bass guitar, 2 rythem players, and me on my tele. When i sing it is mostly randy travis or kenny hinson songs. We just try to put our spin on them. Im mighty proud of our little band and the fact that they let me sit in. Love to play that gospel twang. Almost forgot the harmonica player dave. Now what would we be without him.:cool:

Last edited:

lostinphase

TDPRI Member
So.... What? I'm fairly new to the forum, but I haven't read any slams against anyone for their religion. I'm not sure where the line is for discussing worship playing experiences is in the Worship forum. Are we getting a little too PC here? I've played on an ongoing basis Ragas with a professionally trained tabla player, Gospel worship services, and mostly play for the typical suburban Christian worship services. I haven't seen anything that would be offensive to anyone. Maybe I'm too new here, but I would love to hear more comments outside the typical suburban contemporary worship player's experiences, but haven't seen many of these posts.

tuuur

Friend of Leo's
So.... What? I'm fairly new to the forum, but I haven't read any slams against anyone for their religion. I'm not sure where the line is for discussing worship playing experiences is in the Worship forum. Are we getting a little too PC here? I've played on an ongoing basis Ragas with a professionally trained tabla player, Gospel worship services, and mostly play for the typical suburban Christian worship services. I haven't seen anything that would be offensive to anyone. Maybe I'm too new here, but I would love to hear more comments outside the typical suburban contemporary worship player's experiences, but haven't seen many of these posts.

Maybe; maybe it's because this is a rather old thread and the dust has settled a bit already.

sonserve

Friend of Leo's
I am not sure how this thread was "resurrected" but count me in with the TDPRI guidelines. I respect how the forum is moderated and will abide by all rules and regs. I know you guys will set me straight when I get out of line. It is never intentional on my part.
I truly enjoy this forum. It would not be what it is were it not for the mods keeping things on track.
:D

Peace, Love, & Teles,
Sonny

Angierc

Tele-Meister
Civility or pursuit of Truth?

I understand the need for civility, esp. in an online forum since it seems that people can get really bloody. In fact, there seem to be quite a few people who search the net for opportunities to argue (not debate), flame, and hurt people. And certainly no one benefits from these flame wars that get going on the net, whether they are intentionally started or not.

However, there are a few things to note if any of us are interested in being purely honest....

Politically correct speech is wrongly motivated. It is cowardice at its worst. Wimpification of society and an attempt to water down all faiths, all beliefs, all politics, and to bring about the one belief that there is no Truth. All faiths except the Eastern Religions should abhor this, since only the Eastern religions believe there is no truth.

People are wearing their emotions on their sleeves and have a sense of entitlement. "I have the right to not be excluded by the WORDS you use" Come on! If it’s not about Tele's it has to be posted in the Bad Dog forum. I'm offended by that! (not)

Additionally, only Judaism and Christianity (Christians inherited it from the Jews) actually have a concept of Worship Music - at least in the vein of what we are talking about here. Some are going to disagree with that statement, but those are people who don't understand what Worship Music means in this sense. What pagans do is not the same thing - it’s based on appeasement not love - although more and more they try to mimic Judeo-Christian ideas by using words that sound similar.

Finally as someone has already noted, evangelical Christians are far and away the main people doing contemporary worship with a few Jews and Catholics (although personally I feel that Catholics actually fit the description of evangelical – the conservative ones anyway) chipping in - that’s just who's doing it.
I am not meaning to be divisive here. I am just beginning to tire of our country being eroded through the voluntary erosion of free speech. We used to believe that the free exchange of ideas raised all ships, but now everyone is afraid of debate. I don’t know that is happening here on the best forum on the internet – I certainly hope not.

Ronsonic

Tele-Afflicted
I'm new here and this looks like a wonderful forum. As a Catholic, I'm okay with the inevitable bias toward Evangelical and Pentecostal practice, it is a larger part of their liturgy and service than ours. Except for the singing of the Psalm we are accompaniment to some other aspect of the liturgy, the backing track not the featured event. And guitars are still a bit of a novelty in our world.

But any form of worship music has many performance and technical aspects in common and to keep the forum dedicated to those is reasonable. There are plenty of places to go to argue other things. If a telecaster is not a possible answer, then this isn't the forum for it. Sounds good to me.

twangplank

Tele-Afflicted
I have always tried to be respectful of people am sorry if I made a problem for the TDPRI folks. All the faiths mentioned in this thread have a lot in common and this is a good discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.