Sunday gravy

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by puddin, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I think tinned sauces have an issue. As soon as you mix the acid of the tomatoes with the herbs etc, there is a reaction going on

It is very clever for the food companies to stall it, but the preservatives to stop it are things I do not want inside me. It makes me think of a military sandwich in a tin that lasts 13 years

As per above, fresh takes 2 minutes more - if you use passata

Personally, I am such an indulgent time wastrel, I cook from fresh as the pasta is boiling. Stirring a saucepan takes up 6 minutes of my life

2. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

Passata seems to be big in the UK. I can't say I'm a fan. I rarely make pasta for dietary reasons, but when I do, it isn't with a heavy, sweet, Italian/American sauce. I save my carbs for making pizza.

20160923_134527.jpg 20190516_192734.jpg 20180708_181003.jpg

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  3. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

Pizza is always good. Always.

4. Piggy Stu

I don't like passata but it is just cooked tomatoes

5. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nope.

Not even close.

1293 likes this.
  6. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Cooked? Are you sure? I thought it was just sieved (passata = "passed" (thru a sieve)).

The standard way I make tomato sauce is to start with passata, like Italians do, unless I am making a chunky stew.

And passata is usually just tomatoes (no other ingredients to react to) and bottled in glass.

Anyone else mainly use passata?

7. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If a red sauce is too acidic from the tomatoes, a but of sugar counteracts that. Use just enough. A bit too much and it ends up sweet.

8. urbandefault

urbandefault Tele-Meister

Jump to 0:13.

9. graybeard65

graybeard65 TDPRI Member

Not gonna weigh in on the gravy/sauce debate - call it what your mama taught you :)

The way that mr Contaldo presents his dish is amazing - you can tell that he really appreciates the dish!

Thanks for sharing - this will be in my table this Sunday night!

puddin and teletimetx like this.
  10. Piggy Stu

https://www.quora.com/Are-crushed-tomatoes-a-good-substitute-for-passata

I guess this might be different across the Atlantic but when I buy passata here I expect it to be cooked tomatoes with the lumps gone, which I could achieve by sieving and boiling a load of fresh tomatoes

Here you buy passata to save time cooking the tomatoes to break down the acid. If it were uncooked I would return it to the store

11. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Meister

I hate the term Sunday gravy since most Italian sauces have perfectly useable names. I am not Italian in the least, but as best as I can tell the concept of Sunday gravy is very much an American invention and depending on which Italian American family you are lucky enough to be joining for dinner can mean very different things.

Personally, I love a rich Bolognese and it's one of my favorite sauces to make. Here's a somewhat abbreviated recipe -- I brown a mixture of ground pork, beef and lamb which I then fortify with pureed chicken livers. I separately sauté pancetta and butter and the sauté finely chopped onions, carrots, celery, garlic, parsley and sage. I add the sautéed vegetables to the meat and cook until the liquid is mostly gone, then add wine and cook until almost all liquid is gone. Then I add the tomatoes (high quality canned San Marzano), good quality chicken stock, and some milk. Bring it all to a simmer than put it in a 300 oven to cook uncovered until sauce is reduced and thick. Take off most (but not all) the fat and add parmesan and a bit of cream which emulsifies the remaining fat and incorporates it back into sauce. The whole process takes 5-6 hours but makes a lot of sauce which freezes well. Serve that with a fresh pappardelle pasta = heaven on a plate.

Nightclub Dwight and 1293 like this.
  12. Piggy Stu

I am going out to buy a hat, so I can put it on then raise it in honour of what you just cooked there

Even reading it contained so many calories I had to undo my belt

Lawdawg likes this.
  13. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I stand corrected! The passata I buy is Italian. I haven't seen it otherwise. Good stuff!

14. Nightclub Dwight

I'm a sucker for a real Bolognese as well. I've never made it with chicken livers before, interesting. I'll have to try that next time I make a batch.

Lawdawg likes this.
  15. Nightclub Dwight

Oh man, I feel sorry for your loss. I was going to suggest that you live in an area that doesn't have good pizza, but Detroit style pizza is pretty cool. I have never actually had it in Detroit, but I have eaten it here locally in a place owned by some Detroit expats. Not my all time favorite style, but a pretty darn good option.

Anyhoo, people should eat what they like. Life is too short to choke down bad food.

16. 1293

There's plenty bad pizza. Detroit has its own classic good pizza. I live in NY, and even we have more than our fair share of bad pizza.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  17. Nightclub Dwight

You know, you guys are right. There is plenty of bad pizza. I should know better, I am a finicky SOB and only go to a few favorite places. Once again @Mike Eskimo is right upon further reflection.

I think I got carried away because those photos of pizza posted by @1293 just looked so good.

The majority of pizza places suck. I live in a privileged world when it comes to pizza, so I just don't eat bad pie.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  18. 1293

Have you checked out Rockaway Pizza in White Oak? I've never had it, but I think he knows what he's doing.

19. Nightclub Dwight

Its the only pizza I eat in Pittsburgh!!!!

I've lived here for 10 years now. I'm from New Haven, so I am extremely biased about what constitutes good pizza. Some of my earliest memories were having birthday parties at Pepe's Pizza, followed by Italian ice next door at Libby's, then finishing up with a New Haven Nighhawks hockey game.

I actually learned about Rockaway here on the forum. Were you the one who suggested it?

I'll have to tell Josh that he is discussed here semi-regularly. Send good wishes his way, he was robbed last night.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  20. Nightclub Dwight

:
    I'm actually embarrassed that I wrote this. Its not what I really think or mean. It was 8:21 am, so its not like I was loaded or anything. Maybe that's the problem.

What I really mean is, good pizza is always good. Always. If pizza is made with care it can be an art form. I could eat good pizza every day of the week.

I am very careful about where I'll buy pizza. I'd rather make it myself than eat bad commercial pizza. We do actually make pizza twice a week in our house--52 weeks a year. I'm serious.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.