1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Sunday Fun Day Hyundai

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by naveed211, Apr 18, 2021.

1. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

753BDA02-CA39-4807-AE83-073E18C2E99D.jpeg
    Got this a few days ago.

2013 Hyundai Sonata GLS. 63k miles. Really nice condition. Heated leather seats. Big ol trunk. Decent accessories for an eight year old car. Smooth ride.

My first Hyundai, so we’ll see how this goes. Anybody else have one?

uriah1, gimmeatele, Ronzo and 10 others like this.
  2. EZMFE

EZMFE TDPRI Member

Couple friends / family have owned with no issues. Enjoy!

naveed211 and drf64 like this.
  3. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

It seems like this is a different company than it was 15 years ago. I’m still wary though. Used Toyotas have treated me well.

Torren61, EZMFE and naveed211 like this.
  4. naveed211

Yeah we’ve been a Toyota and Subaru family for nearly 15 years. I’m a little wary but I’ve heard some good things, too (and my car isn’t part of the engine recall, so that’s a plus!)

Jakedog and drf64 like this.
  5. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

i'll check with @naveed211 in a year, and if things are still good I'll consider Hyudai when I replace my 2004 Corolla.

EZMFE and naveed211 like this.
  6. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

My daughter has a 2010 that came from grandma. It has about 140k miles and runs great for her. And grandma bought another to replace it and that has no trouble. They do a nice job designing for reliability.

naveed211 and EZMFE like this.
  7. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy Tele-Meister

Had and sold literally hundreds over the years. Pretty solid cars. I believe that car has a timing chain instead of a belt...which is good.

naveed211 likes this.
  8. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

I have a Hyundai SUV that I bought used as a second car. Pretty happy with it.

naveed211 likes this.
  9. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I have not owned a Sonata. I am however, on my fourth Hyundai. I’m a Hyundai fan for sure. Why? They can’t be beat. They’re cheap to buy, cheap to own, and they never break, and if they do they’re most likely under warranty. You have to go back thirty years to the 90’s to find crappy or unreliable Hyundai cars.

My first was a 2001 Accent sedan. I’ve since owned an ‘09 Elantra, a ‘17 Accent hatchback, and currently drive a ‘20 Tucson. I have driven Hyundai automobiles right around 300k miles, and never paid for a repair on one except when the damage was 100% my doing.

On the ‘01, it had a manual trans. Within the first 10k miles it lost its ability to downshift. I called the dealer, they said the factory got a bad batch of synchros that effected a couple thousand cars and we got one of em. Brought it down there and they dropped in a brand new tranny that day. Under warranty. Never had another issue with it. Drove it about 90k total. One of the maintenance guys at the local Hyundai shop bought it when I traded it in and still drives it every day. It’s now twenty years old.

The ‘09 Elantra had warranty stuff at around 40k. The heat shield on the exhaust came loose and would rattle under hard acceleration. The volume knob broke off the radio. They fixed the heat shield and replaced the entire stereo unit for free. Love that warranty. At that point, the stereo replacement was a big upgrade. Cost nothing. Done in a matter of hours. Drove that car a total of about 140k. Was still running great when we traded it in. We traded it for a brand new ‘15 Forester. Except for the AWD making it awesome in the snow, it’s a trade we regret a lot. The Subaru has been kind of a nightmare.

Bought the ‘17 Accent brand new in ‘17. Beat it to death. Didn’t mistreat it, but drove it over 80k miles in three years. Still had the original brakes on it. They still worked great. Zero issues of any kind (only repair was my fault, I ran over some big debris on the interstate and screwed it up pretty good) in 80k on that car. I would still be driving it. I loved it. I didn’t really want to buy the Tucson. But it became obvious that I needed a larger vehicle. There was just no way around it.

I miss that ‘17 Accent. It was rated 37 Highway MPG but routinely got 40-45. I had a day on one long trip where I averaged 51. The new Tucson is good too, though, for what it is. It’s rated 21 city and 25 hwy, but I haven’t had a tank under 26 combined yet. It’s now got 6k miles on it.

If the previous owner looked after your Sonata well, I think you’ll be very pleased with it. I never say never, so I’ll just say the chances of me owning another vehicle that doesn’t have a Hyundai badge are pretty slim.

Ronzo, mkdaws32, tarheelbob and 2 others like this.
  10. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Hyundais are the bomb. Several family members have owned or do own them and none have had any issues. I bought a Tucson at the end of 2019 and absolutely love it. It has a great ride and is quiet, even at 80 mph.

naveed211 and Jakedog like this.
  11. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

I too had a ‘01 Accent, but in my case I inherited it from my father-in-law when he died. It had about 100K on it I think, and no one else in the family wanted it!

It had rust issues starting to show up at that point but ran well for me for several years. It was pretty easy to work on for stuff like oil, filter and timing belt changes. I think I did the brakes on it once.

I think Hyundai has upped their fit & finish and rustproofing game since those days.

12. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

I haven't owned one but I have happily driven one as a rental. One of my friends had one that needed a throw out bearing repair just after it went over the mileage cut off for warranty work. They honored it anyhow and did the repair free to my friend. That goes a long way. You can get a lot of mileage out of that referral. Nice car, I like the color. Needs a guitar to match don't you think?

13. naveed211

Really encouraging! Thanks for sharing your experiences.

This is the first time I’ve bought a used car in six years, last two were leases, so I’m already stepping out of my comfort zone a bit. I don’t drive as much since I work from home full time now, but still need reliability for visiting family and friends out of state.

Feeling good about the Sonata.

Jakedog likes this.
  14. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

Hyundai and Kia are doing what the Japanese companies did back when. Their products steadily increase in quality, with few missteps. Meanwhile, a lot of other companies (including some Japanese companies) are doing what the American companies did back when: resting on their laurels, and assuring themselves that their name and reputation are all they need. I currently have a 2017 Elantra that I bought two years ago with 43,000 kilometres on it. Regular maintenance, no failures. Prior car was a 2005 Kia that I bought new and drove for 14 years. Same routine. Both are boring cars, but they also have no glaring faults. If you rely on something for everyday use, boring can be good. (I also like that Hyundai isn’t going 100% CVT like some companies).

Ronzo, Jakedog and naveed211 like this.
  15. naveed211

Thanks for sharing your experience. That’s encouraging to hear.

I’ve got to try to remember to keep it “boring” in this car...it’s actually the fastest car I’ve ever owned, for what that’s worth!

Jakedog likes this.
  16. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

I replaced a Land Rover Discovery with a Hyundai Santa Fe in 2012.

The Land Rover was the most solid car I think I’ve ever owned. It’s performance, (apparent) build quality were awesome. I guess it helped that I’m a Brit! But as it got older it just cost more and more to keep it on the road. The local dealer did everything they could to rip me off and every time I took it for a service, something else needed to be replaced...fir anything from $600 to $1000.

The Santa Fe Limited has no such charm. It drives fine but overall is just a bit boring. It is much more lightly built than the Land Rover I had but it gets twice the gas mileage. And over the almost 10 years and 100K miles I’ve owned it it has cost me one battery, one set of brake pads and one set of tyres. It has never let me down and has carried my sea kayaks from South Carolina to Nova Scotia multiple times.

As much as I’d like another Land Rover, I think my next car may well be another Hyundai.

Jakedog and naveed211 like this.
  17. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's

Hyundai: best bang-for-buck - currently have 2.

Jakedog and naveed211 like this.
  18. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

We have a 2021 Kona Electric. So far, so good!

19. naveed211

Yes, the bang for the buck quality of it is what drew me to it. Not sure what the “cool factor” is on Hyundais, but it seems like a pretty nice car.

Ronzo and Jakedog like this.
  20. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

Disclaimer: I sell a European premium brand. Would I rather have one of the cars I sell? Yes. Would that be a sensible decision? Not necessarily. In value, Hyundai/Kia is a bigger worry to me competitively than any other company, in quality, Mazda is the bigger worry.

Ronzo and naveed211 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.