Sun bursting out today...

jack.plugg

Tele-Holic
It is a fine looking bunch. Looks like all you need is a standard sunburst MIM Tele to complete a foursome.
Yes, you're right. In fact I do have a standard MIM Tele, but it isn't sunburst, so I guess I missed a trick there!

Last edited:

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
For no particular reason, other than it being a beautiful sunny day here, I thought I would line up and photograph my three sunburst Teles together, (well to be more exact, a 2006 Esquire, a 2003 Nashville and a 2013 Cabronita - all three are Mexican-built guitars).

View attachment 1014752 View attachment 1014753
Like ‘em! Always puzzles me why they take the trouble to fit a skunk stripe to a neck with a separate board. Not, I thought, always been that way?

Also set me thinking, I’ve never, ever, owned a sunburst guitar, not on purpose, just worked out that way. Considering the number of Fenders and others I have owned and the fact that the ‘bursts have always been around, it just seems odd.

jack.plugg

Tele-Holic
Like ‘em! Always puzzles me why they take the trouble to fit a skunk stripe to a neck with a separate board. Not, I thought, always been that way?

Also set me thinking, I’ve never, ever, owned a sunburst guitar, not on purpose, just worked out that way. Considering the number of Fenders and others I have owned and the fact that the ‘bursts have always been around, it just seems odd.
Somewhere Wrighty there may well be a sunburst guitar with your name on it - you just haven't found it yet!

As for the skunk stripe thing, presumably Fender has arranged its neck-manufacturing process in such a way that all the truss rods get fitted from the back of the neck, regardless of whether the neck is all maple or not. Having just the one process, rather than needing a separate method for the rosewood versions, probably makes things speedier and cheaper, in the factory.

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
Somewhere Wrighty there may well be a sunburst guitar with your name on it - you just haven't found it yet!

As for the skunk stripe thing, presumably Fender has arranged its neck-manufacturing process in such a way that all the truss rods get fitted from the back of the neck, regardless of whether the neck is all maple or not. Having just the one process, rather than needing a separate method for the rosewood versions, probably makes things speedier and cheaper, in the factory.
I’m sure it is, strange to think that it is out there, somewhere, even as I type! Regards the SS, I didn’t think of that but it makes perfect sense.