Summer Vacations...take them?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by fendrguitplayr, Jun 10, 2019.

1. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

The past few years we've just taken long weekends during the summers. This year we're leaving at the end of the week for Montreal. Might make some stops along the way. Have never been there and I can cross it off my bucket list afterwards.

Anyone else taking vacations this summer and if so, where ya going?

2. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

We went to Montreal a few years ago, great city to visit.

My wife and I try to take a proper summer vacation every year. We've been to Montreal, Halifax, Boston, and Brussels in the past few years. We're going to Vienna for 10 days this year.

After visiting Europe for the first time last year, I'm pretty excited to be going back. I hate the flights but love the time spent there.

- D

fendrguitplayr likes this.
  3. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

My wife would kill me if we don’t take a proper vacation of at least ten days. This year we’re doing a camping/hiking/mt biking road trip for 3 weeks through California, Oregon, Washington, with destination Okanagan Valley, BC.

4. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's

My wife owns her own business and is currently (and likely fairly permanently) the sole employee, so we can't take full weeks of vacation at this time. I can't get away from work more than a day or so without taking my laptop with me and staying current on emails.

Its a far cry from when I was a kid (late '70s) and my dad took 8 weeks off work and we traveled around the western US in a motor home.... So much has changed and not necessarily for the better.

rz350, Wildcard_35 and fendrguitplayr like this.
  5. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

We usually take about a week and drive out to Kansas to visit my parents. I’ve felt kind bad that that trip has, for the most part, been the only summer trip my kids took. If my parents lived close by, we could have spent that week going to some cooler places (not that parts of Kansas aren’t cool). I feel like they missed out on some other things, but I also think it’s important for them to see their grandparents.

My wife and I will be making the same trip at some point this summer. I think it will be the first time we don’t take any of the kids with us (one will probably fly out and meet us there).

6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Not since my school days.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Summer is quite oppressive in the Deep South.

So normally we make a land voyage out West somewhere. Colorado, Montana, Wyoming. We let the weather and existing conditions guide us around. We tend to settle down over the Thursday Afternoon to Sunday Noon period, and the rest of the week the crowds subside and we can often camp anywhere we happen to be when we're too exhausted to do more "stuff". The daylight period is so long in Northern Idaho you may find yourself turning in while it is still light outside.

We're looking for low dew points, and fairly high elevations. Get that part right, and the energy level stays high. When the humidity is heavy and the air is thick, you get worn out and just wish you could find a motel room with AC. That's a mis-spent vacation IMO.

8. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Eight weeks off every summer.

Escaping the brutal humidity of Osaka to go breathe some of that tasty PNW forest fire smoke...

I hope it’s better this year.

fendrguitplayr and jman72 like this.
  9. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

It's when you want to go and the kids are off school but everything costs twice as much.

Anyway, all being well driving to get the Eurotunnel then driving down through France to Northern Spain and back again. Essentially having a look around Basque country.

I know that generally speaking us Brits are more likely to get paid leave time than in the USA but these days I get a lot less than I used to and I crave that time.

10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

You can only cross your fingers. Here is the Pacific, um, South West, the snowpack is below normal, so it's going to be a drier summer. Not a good sign.

11. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

We don't have kids... but we've always tried to schedule our vacations around this. We like to go to the beach on the Florida panhandle for vacation, and we're usually able to get in to a very nice rental for 1/2 price if we book for early May. After Memorial Day, everything goes up in price, and there are too many people around to enjoy anything.

We didn't take a vacation this year (and won't) because I'm trying to finish up with school... so I registered for classes through the end of the year.

william tele and fendrguitplayr like this.
  12. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Holic

We wait till after labour day. No crowds and starts getting a bit cooler:cool:

13. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

If you are taking the 89, make a stop in Burlington. Years ago I had a gf from Plattsburgh (across the lake from Burlington) and her family would go to Montreal if they wanted a nice meal out.

Me? Newfoundland.

[​IMG]

14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Many locations in the American West look pretty good this year. Sorry to hear you guys didn't get much snowpack. And just now it has turned monstrously hot, for example, in San Francisco.

I was just assuming the heavy pack extended up your way. We're adding in the attendance of a wedding outside Seattle in about one months' time, and now I'll be paying closer attention to conditions in Washington State. I hadn't been worrying about it at all.

Wow, you're right. Looking crispy directly to the south of you:
    https://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/River/state-summary/?state=WA

By comparison, look at Colorado where elevations are quite high and runoff happens later:
    https://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/River/state-summary/?state=CO
    Yummy.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  15. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

We dislike hot, humid places, so we tend to head North and sometimes the NE- love New Brunswick and the Atlantic provinces. We'll be going back home to N. Ontario in September for some fishing after the school summer vacation has ended.

16. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Not for about the last two years. I've been working as a contractor , with no paid time off, since then.

Luckily that coincided with the general timeframe of my kids no longer being kids anymore. Before then we'd always taken time for summer adventures; traveling and camping

17. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

Our kids are grown and spring/is the busiest time for my business, so we schedule our vacation in Sept or Oct. Everything is cheaper and kids are back in school. Works well for us.

william tele and TheGoodTexan like this.
  18. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Yeah, we've been down to the Florida beach as late as mid-October, and it's usually still warm enough to hang out on the beach all day long. And there is almost nobody there, which is fine with me.

19. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

With my wife and three boys, I have taken 5-week road trips each of the past four summers. They've included

1) From Florida up the east coast to the northern tip of Nova Scotia and everywhere in between.
    2) All of the west coast from So Cal to Whistler BC
    3) Four corners through the mountain west from AZ to Montana and everywhere in between
    4) All of the central US from FL to MN and the UP of Michigan and back.

So, we've hit all 48 contiguous states (and six Canadian provinces) in four summers. These trips have defined our family for the past four years, and we've spent ~27,000 miles together in a minivan. Our boys will never forget them, and they've been the best time of our lives. Some people spend their money on big fancy homes and cars...we spend ours on experiences with our kids.

This summer we continue our adventure in Alaska. Can't wait!!

20. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

My wife and I did a ton of traveling for our music and art. Sometimes we were at the same event, as when we made a video, and sometimes one tagged along with the other. And we would try to find time to steal away and see some sights. Our other travel was limited to family stuff, and then we tended to stay close to family.

Irony of ironies, now that I am free to travel anywhere, any time, my body cannot tolerate that level of activity (partial paralysis, nerve pain, RA joint pain, fatigue). I really do want to visit the Smithsonian.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.