1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Summer Of '69'

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by EllroyJames, Jun 3, 2015.

1. EllroyJames

EllroyJames Friend of Leo's

2. Post Toastie

Post Toastie Poster Extraordinaire

Cool. Instead of getting mad at "summer of 69" requests and kicking out the Hecklers he can now play it.

3. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

I like his arrangement, nice job. Hopefully I'm not part of the joke because I like it

4. Smoky Booroo

Smoky Booroo Tele-Meister

My wife and I actually saw him a couple weeks ago and the newspaper ran this story with this link beforehand. When Ryan said he was going to play a cover, someone yelled "Summer of 69" thinking that was a regular thing. Well, let's say it didn't go over well. He was verbally chastised to say the least. Funny how this keeps coming up. It's almost as if Ryan likes the whole story.

By the way, it was an EXCELLENT show.

5. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I am sure this enfant terrible loves the story. I imagine that's part of the reason that David Adams started going by his middle name.

Little known fact: Ryan Adams and Bryan Adams share the same birthday.

That was a very nice homage, though.

6. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

jackson browne heard 'freebird' one too many times.

7. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

What next? Clapton playing Classical Gas?

8. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Still not entirely convinced of the sincerity of his recent album. But - I do love it.

To me because I'm a jaded cynical Detroiter, it's almost like he and Mike Viola said let's make a Brian Adams record, and then they said, let's make a 1981 record w/ all kinds of aural calling cards seeded all the way through it.

9. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

OK then. I'll be the lone voice here which says 'I actually like Bryan Adams and would rather listen to his records than Ryan Adams'.

There, I've said it.

What's so wrong with some 80's radio-friendly AOR???

10. Post Toastie

Post Toastie Poster Extraordinaire

I don't know who Brian Adams is ? What song or songs has he done?

11. Mike Eskimo

Oh - I forgot. Those polite devils over the border and their pesky names. At least it's not "Gord" like 3/5ths of the males up there...

12. Mike Eskimo

Nothing.

Do you know the complicated history of Ryan/Bryan ? Do you know the specific album covers in question ?

Like I said, I like the record a lot , I'm just not buying it 100% with all that's gone on in the past and w/ RA's sometimes odd (understatement) behavior.

People have trouble with "grey". Black and white ? They're all over it like a cheap suit, but grey ? Can't tie it up with a bow so neatly...

13. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

The summer of '69 was, indeed, my favorite year in life,... for real... I have never heard that song, [I don't think]. but I am going to learn to sing and play it for our band. I just looked up the words.. I will rely on your video for the melody and arrangement. I may sub a word or three, [???], to make it fit my own similar story, when we do it.... I think I can do it in the key of 'E'.. Thanks for putting that in your post...

14. brianswindall

brianswindall Tele-Afflicted

Ryan Adams' covers are normally standout - Noel Gallagher said he understood Wonderwall better after he heard Adams' version - and this is no exception.

This thread's a mess, lol. You guys are really showing your age.

"Who's Bryan Adams?" Seriously? He's sold millions of records worldwide. Cuts Like A Knife, It's Only Love, Every Thing I Do...ring any bells?

For you guys out of the loop, Ryan Adams had a guy removed from the audience at a show for yelling, among other things, "Summer of '69!" which was written by Bryan Adams (the joke, of course, is based on the similarity of the two artists names). The story went viral and now people always shout "Summer of '69" at Ryan Adams shows. Covering it (well) certainly diffuses the controversy. Wise on his part.

I bet no one shouts out "Stars Go Blue" at Bryan Adams concerts.

15. EllroyJames

EllroyJames Friend of Leo's

Ryan and Bryan.. The Adams Family;)

16. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Ah, what a great summer it was!

17. Mike Eskimo

He was ragging on me because I spelled it "Brian" not "Bryan" . I mean, I got that and I'm pretty dumb.

I also like the older guy's music - I've never had a problem with it.

Love that RA cover of Run To You.

You know a joint tour is probably ahead. I don't know though - BA stays busy w/ photography and rolling around in his colorful Canuck money...

18. old guitar player

old guitar player Tele-Afflicted

If you listen to the original version of the tune by Bryan Adams the very last thing he says is "Me and my baby IN a 69"....:lol:;):eek:

19. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

The whole shouting -"Summer of '69"-at-a-Ryan Adams show is just like the "Freebird" thing: it's only funny the first time. After that, it's just cringe-worthy watching geniuses shout it out like they just thought of it themselves. Never did like that stuff at anyone's show. But overreacting to it onstage is also cringe-worthy. A real professional knows how to deal with that stuff. Glad Ryan has lightened up about that and moved on.
    Half of my favorite bands/performers are Canadian, but Bryan Adams was never in that group. Don't necessarily dislike him, he seems sincere enough, but I used to push the car radio button when his songs came on.

20. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Poster Extraordinaire

I'm guessing that means they're both travelling in a 1969 car, yes?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.