Sultans of Swing

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by hrstrat57, May 13, 2019.

1. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Hard to believe stuff this good is available for free.

What a time to be playing guitar!

Shutup and Play :)

2. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

Yeah, He’s got some great lessons posted.

hrstrat57 likes this.
  3. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

...on a Les Paul...

4. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

My favorite guitar licks song of all time. I play it on a humbucker guitar.

hrstrat57 likes this.
  5. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

I'm learning romeo n juliet in open g right now, to improve my finger picking. He's a serious player is knopfler, you could really go down the rabbit hole studying his technique. See all those licks in sultans? You hear them everywhere.

hrstrat57 and schmee like this.
  6. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Knopfler makes it looks so easy and casual in a live video.

hrstrat57 likes this.
  7. Downshift

Downshift Tele-Holic

Awesome. In the literal sense.

I hadn't come across this guy before. I'll be going through his page.

And you're right, the knowledge and skill available for free is amazing. Remember the days when you had to know someone who knew how to play it? Or had to figure it out from the record? Ouch.

RodeoTex and hrstrat57 like this.
  8. doolbon

doolbon TDPRI Member

Thanks for that. Most people butcher it

hrstrat57 likes this.
  9. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Meister

Sultans is one of my favorites and Ive been playing for while. While I don't think I butcher it, it is always humbling to listen to the original. Knopfler has such feel and touch and while playing delivers the perfect vocal for the song. Love it!

hrstrat57 likes this.
  10. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, why not, the other week I was trying out a very tasty Tokai Love Rock and began playing Dire Straits tunes on it and it sounded good.

Even the guy in the shop went "Are you SERIOUSLY playing Sultans of swing on a LES PAUL?"

But to be honest, while "Sultans" is a classic, I actually found THIS one the more accomplished song.

11. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Most people that still butcher stuff now haven’t learned that YouTube is their friend. The talent level of instruction is staggering, sometimes you have to hunt a bit but always worth it. Thus Shut up and Play feed is the bees knees but there are many other great ones too. Sometimes if I find multiple takes it just comes down to which better fits my learning style.

Of course if you prefer sitting in front of your HiFi with a guitar and a notepad that’s still cool too!

I used to do that

Blazer likes this.
  12. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

One of my absolutely favorite songs....that i can't play. It sucks that my favorite player is Knopfler, because unless you are good with finger picking, it isn't happening. I am actually working on learning to finger pick right now in hopes of being able to tackle that song in the future.

13. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I love the guitar parts in SoS. They're all very similar , yet all very different. Lots of nuance.

I was up late one night and my wife ran across a lesson on it (I think from Justin Guitar). I spent probably 2 or 3 hours going through everything, and could actually play all the licks pretty well. But of course being able to play the licks vs stringing them together into the song is very different.

I couldn't persuade my band mates to pick it up, so it's all pretty much fallen by the wayside.

Oh well...

Cheers,
    Doug

14. Mr. Neutron

Mr. Neutron Tele-Meister

Andy has some Really Great Lessons on a lot of good songs on his website (Shut Up and Play). I don't mind funneling some "discretionary income" towards him for his efforts. ;)

Man, a hearty "AMEN!!!" to that! I learned the rhythm to this song when it was originally released. A friend and I sat down with a turntable, the Dire Straits album, and our guitars. We pretty much wore the album out, and our fingers, just on the rhythm. We only learned a few chunks of the lead parts, and just kinda burned out and gave up on the lead altogether. I believe we used the excuse that while "Clapton is God", Mark Knopfler probably held a fairly prominent position in upper management....... :lol:

15. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

One of the great songs by my favourite guitarist / writer. I lost my ability to use picks as I used fingers for twenty years.
    Yes today's people are lucky, i have learned many songs, note for note in a short time, stuff that used to take time ad practice , error, guessing when you can learn so much online today.

16. mherrcat

mherrcat Tele-Holic

carpenter likes this.
  17. Jerry J

Jerry J Tele-Afflicted

Seriously, one of my favorite guitars sounds EVER! Best outro since Message in a Bottle. Very similar IMO.

18. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Mark Knopfler was da man! Brilliant guitarist.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.