Suitcase record players

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, May 25, 2020.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

We all had em when we were kids, and they've been making a comeback for some time now, and I'm sorta thinking about getting one. I still do have some vinyl around that'd be fun to throw on once in awhile,I think. I was wondering if anyone here had experience with any of these things. This image is just used for an example, not talking about this specific one
    [​IMG]

Not interested in component pieces.
    Talking self-contained units, with built in speakers, and jacks to connect to external speakers would be nice.

Anyone have experience with these things?
    Much appreciated

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I've seen some of these around but they look flimsy grabs at nostalgia. Low quality, overpriced, junk was my take on the ones I saw. They were "Crosley Cruiser" or a rebrand of the same thing, which is what the one you pictured looks like. I think they've got some better models. I'd recommend at least springing for one with a magnetic needle.

They don't make 'em like they used to (my first real record player)....

firstrecordplayer.JPG

3. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I won't use one because the sound is typically sub-par, and if it has any bass it will interfere with the needle. Needles are far from 'good' and there is no way to balance the tone arm, outside a penny or two.

I'm low brow hi-fi. I like the Goodwill sound. But I always pass on these. Get a good component TT, a good preamp and hook that up to a Bluetooth transmitter or Aux input. Not as portable but of course a box of three dozen LPs and 45s aren't exactly that either.

nojazzhere and blowtorch like this.
  4. blowtorch

You can actually purchase the new repros for the same price that one is advertised for

5. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My understanding is that these are generally pretty junky, though if that's due to the way the commonly found ones are made or to some inherent flaw of the self-contained design, I don't know.

blowtorch likes this.
  6. blowtorch

Simply not interested in returning to that amount of monkey business. I have a nice component turntable that sits unused. I'm wanting a self-contained unit I can put on a coffee table or maybe piano top, to play mainly some 45s and 78s. A ladyfriend of mine recently got one of these, and I think I'll have to venture out to hear it in person (once the coast is clear of course), and decide whether the (I am certain) low-fi sound is tolerable

7. blowtorch

For other folks who might be interested, I did find this

https://fatcityturntables.com/best-suitcase-record-player/

It's kind of the equivalent of a lot of guitar store propaganda, in that it's really mostly advertising for what they carry, I suspect, but maybe some useful info nonetheless

8. BorderRadio

It is monkey business! Trying to find the right gear for the situation and spending gobs of money because it’s “hi-fi”. Then turning away from those prices, going back to the hacky looking cables and the “wait wait, let pair the device”, “cheap junk”, “ok let me just find it on Spotify” moments. Playing it on your phone *fp*

If you expect a toy for a quick song or two, then it fits the bill. I still grab my records and tell them you’ll never be played on one of “those”!

blowtorch likes this.
  9. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

there is an antique radio, antique phonograph, as well as antique stereo console group on facebook. a lot of people are getting these.

play music!

blowtorch likes this.
  10. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Afflicted

11. blowtorch

That stuff mattered a lot to me before I got into playing electric guitar. Then it was like, whatever, I want to MAKE the music, and the importance of listening to other people's stuff , especially at the hi-est of fi s, became much diminished in my perspective

BorderRadio and Rowdyman like this.
  12. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Given that speaker and amplifier technology is really good now they probably sound pretty good but I still don't understand why anyone would want one.

aging_rocker likes this.
  13. blowtorch

Liking this one, the one drawback I can find is no bluetooth

14. blowtorch

speaking personally, I still have some vinyl around that I think I'd like to listen to once in awhile, but i don't want to bother with component systems

it truly is mostly a nostalgia thing I suspect, being that just about everything is available on youtube/spotify these days.

my folks used to have an antique crank victrola, long gone now, and my dad was floored when I found this and sent it to him, it was one of his favorites from those old thick 78s

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  15. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have a stereo in the basement. The turntable was refurbished a few years ago. A lot of my records ended up at my little brothers somehow. But I still have a quite a few.

16. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

The retro looking Crosleys are total junk. If anyone makes a good "all in one" unit today I haven't heard of it. Neither has my buddy at the Music Shop, talked to him about it the other day because I've got a 15 year old that wants to play records.
    Come to think of it I've got two old tube ones around here somewhere. Ones really old, it's got a radio and records on records of some sort, two needles on different arms, one record and of course one for play back. The other is a Silvertone or something with the 5 Star type tubes, probably from the '60s. Got um both for like 5 bucks a few years ago, I'm not sure why.

cyclopean likes this.
  17. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Ah, brings back memories. Listening to the brand new Surfer Girl 45....

18. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Ya beat me to it, pal!

Cheers!

19. BorderRadio

Always been both for me, but what changed lately was spending a s**t ton on guitars and gear, since 2012 or so. I could never afford anything truly hi-fi, just old junk from yard sales. A JBL Bluetooth and a good set of over ear headphones for listening is pretty much the norm nowadays, though I have a nice 80s Japanese turntable and decent speakers at home.

20. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You get what you pay for.
    I'm thinking lots of Wow, Flutter and, Hum.

But if you simply like it for the Cool Factor, roll with it.

aging_rocker likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.