Suitcase Record Player Amp Conversion

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by mikestearns, Dec 9, 2019.

1. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Meister

I've got this suitcase record player I found on FB marketplace for 9 bucks. Beautiful wood, and the amp turned on and fired up and hummed, but the record player didn't work (which I didn't want anyway). It has 2 6V6's, a 12ax7, a 12at7, and a 6x5 rectifier tube, so I'm thinking I could make a fun little low watt guitar amp out of it. The caps definitely need to come out either way (already pulled the old can out of it). I plan to read up a little more on some other circuits to put some ideas together - judging by the tubes and the simply Volume and Tone knob setup I'm thinking I'll keep it in the vein of a 5E3 - but was curious if anyone had any suggestions or ideas of things to change in this schematic to make it more guitar-centric. (I doubt I'll keep the internal speakers for this, I'll make it to function as a head).

Attached Files:

JohnnyCrash likes this.
  2. symbiotic

symbiotic TDPRI Member

Well I for one can't wait to read the contributions of members who really understand all these elements but, I for one would be really curious to hear what you would get by just servicing it to a safe functional state.

Isn't that a floating paraphase PI such as described by Merlin Blencowe here? http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/paraphase.html

I am also curious to read what others make of the power tube biasing. What is the deal with running the cathodes through a secondary winding on the OT? Does this achieve some negative feedback?

I haven't wrapped my head around the volume control, but it's cool to see the tone control set up like a Vox "Cut".

Like I said off the top, it all makes me curious to know what it would sound like for guitar, as-designed.

JohnnyCrash likes this.
  3. Saxonbowman

Saxonbowman TDPRI Member

The schematic certainly looks like it has the makings of a nice guitar amp. Your comment about the beautiful wood makes me want to see a picture! Do you have any?

JohnnyCrash likes this.
  4. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Meister

Not with me, I'm at my office at the moment, but I'll post some pics later, plus I intend to document the conversion.

As far as using as designed - I would think it would be on the weak side just because generally an amplifier made for a phonograph is going to be designed to minimize distortion, whereas one made to amplify a guitar signal would in some ways have the opposite intention, not to mention also a guitar amp would be designed to accentuate certain frequencies and cut others, whereas a phonograph is going to want a wider frequency representation.

JohnnyCrash likes this.
  5. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Meister

Here's the best I've got of it at the moment, from the listing when I purchased it. I've already taken everything out of it. I want to clean up and keep the original knobs, and put the input jack on the face of the amp with them if I can make it look good andnot destroy the original material. The woods a little beat up, but not so much to make it look bad.

IMG_1051.jpg

Saxonbowman and JohnnyCrash like this.
  6. Jake Nelson

Jake Nelson Tele-Meister

Subscribed

I built a 5e3 from an old reel to reel player and the B+ was a little low so I used a solid state rectifier and had a lot better results.

JohnnyCrash likes this.
  7. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Meister

ive considered this, I know with the current rectifier tube I’m only going to get around 10 watts.

Jake Nelson and JohnnyCrash like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.