Suitable Tools For Guitar Necks, and Cheap Wood for practice

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by Wind Gatherer, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Wind Gatherer

Wind Gatherer TDPRI Member

Would an OSS be a good way to shape a neck? Any tips,learning resources and any YouTubes I might miss showing how to use the OSS to shape necks?Tapering the neck??? How To.
    Thanks.

2. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

A oscillating spindle is fine to get the shape of the neck close to the lines before using a router table if that is your question ?
    As for actually shaping the profile etc you can't go wrong with some rasps and microplanes

Treadplatedual likes this.
  3. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

I use drawknife, spokeshave, rasps and scrapers and then sand the final result to remove the scraper marks and any roughness from the scraper pulling the "hair" of the grain up.

You can replace the drawknife with a coarse rasp.

I think shaping a neck with a belt sander would be faster (not the OSS, but the end of a coarse belt sander - that's what gibson did for years), but you risk ruining more necks building the skill, and there is the issue of dust all over the place. the hand process with the tools I mentioned is divine. All you need is a straight edge and a couple of items to make curves, etc, like where the neck of a guitar heel might be. That can be as simple as lids or cups that are the right size.

It takes me about 2 hours to make a neck like this one from rough stock, an hour or so to get the basic shape and then another hour to clean up all of the little stuff so that the aesthetics are right. (I've only made three so far, I'm sure I could get to banging them out, but I"ve made a lot of tools with round bits, and they're done the same way as this - just rarely large enough or straight enough to get the drawknife and spokeshave involved).

When you first start, think of your shaping as facets rather than curves - everything will visually go together once you have your facets in place and then round off the edges of the facets. It's far easier to see that a set of facets is similar in terms of desirable symmetry and evenness along their length than it is to see a curve.

Attached Files:

4. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

I forgot about files - cheap metal files are a good step after rasps and inside curves (like a saw file) before you go to just sanding the crap out of everything and eliminating all of the crispness of the details.

5. darren7

darren7 Tele-Holic

Can you use an oscillating spindle sander to shape a guitar neck? Yes.

Is it the best tool for shaping guitar necks? No.

6. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Silver Supporter

Any material removal method is a good way to rough out a neck. Would I do it that way....nope. Others do. Different strokes. Controlling your wood removable in a slower fashion helps save the firepit from new resources.

eallen and Wind Gatherer like this.
  7. Wind Gatherer

"neck close to the lines" Could you explain how you go about this part of the process?
    Also, " neck close to the lines before using a router table" Please explain, how you would go about shaping the neck on a router table?
    Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  8. Wind Gatherer

I saw the attached earlier on the forum. I'm curious about the method or methods of bulk removal, roughing out the neck before smoothing to the desired shape?

Attached Files:

• A.jpg
      A.jpg
      File size:
      80 KB
      Views:
  9. guitarbuilder

Maybe you should find out what power tool you are comfortable with and give it a try on scrap. Grinder with abrasive come to mind. Belt sander with courser belt. As long as you don't violate the individual safety rules for each you should be OK.

10. Wind Gatherer

I bought an oscillating spindle, belt sander, clone of the Ridgid/Ross. I have opened the box and checked it works. Since I got it I've read about the belt sander producing a crowned profile and the table not being 100% square to the belt. I'm wondering if I made the right decision in buying it. As I already have a Dewalt router in a cast iron router table.I can use this to shape the guitar body from a template. If the OSS won't serve any addional use I think perhaps I should return it for a refund? The best price I found for it here was £194 UK pounds

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  11. guitarbuilder

It's not a precision tool, but it has value in this hobby. Have you tried to make a neck the old fashioned way as opposed to instant neck making?

mistermikev and Treadplatedual like this.
  12. Wind Gatherer

No I haven't got that far yet :) I have a couple of machine cut half round Narex rasps that I bought for my woodcarving.
    https://www.narextools.cz/en/halfround-rasp-872521 item numbers 872521,872524.
    I also have a quite decent inexpensive spokeshave.

13. guitarbuilder

I'd suggest you step back and give a neck a whirl with some simple controllable hand tools. You may find that it is enjoyable and addicting.

14. GPlo

GPlo Tele-Meister

I bought one of these last weekend. I’ve used it to smooth out the edges of a body. It looks much better than the first body I did.

I also used the belt to VERY CAREFULLY sand the side of an uncarved neck. It removed the toolmarks from the router and also sanded the fret ends nice and flush. The neck is now in good condition to be carved.

I’d say this machine has many uses and i see myself using it for all sorts of tasks. Making templates for example.

I wouldnt use it to actually do the shaping. Use the facetting method instead. It works very well and it’s surprisingly easy if you take your time.

Wind Gatherer likes this.
  15. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Holic

reciprocating dingle arm

Bob

16. Wind Gatherer

" Controlling your wood removable in a slower fashion helps save the firepit from new resources." I'm with you.

17. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

veteran advice there... worth its weight.;)

no veteran here, and I'm super lazy, but I've found that shaping the neck is the most rewarding part of the whole deal. I was told "you have to do it at least once" and I'm very glad I did.

To make it easier on myself I first plane down the neck close to the final dimensions using an adjustable router sled... .8 on one end and .9 on the other...
    from there I use the facets method and a cheap harbor freight rasp (among others) - it's really not that much work but again, I'm lazy. Lately I've been thinking that almost ALL of the hard work is in that first 45deg facet so I'm going to snag a chamfer bit and just do the parts I like with a rasp. That should make it a breeze.

not saying you can't do it with a spindle... lots of folks -better than me- doing it dif ways, just thought I'd mention my process in case it helps.

Wind Gatherer likes this.
  18. Wind Gatherer

19. Wind Gatherer

As we all know, timber costs. Which species would be suitable.... to practice with... to learn how to shape necks? Finer joinery grade,less knots? Bear in mind I'm in UK.
    Thanks

DrASATele likes this.
  20. Wind Gatherer

Which sort of scrapers would be most useful, ideally suitable on other woodwork projects too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.