Suggestions wanted!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by carolinaeasy, Mar 15, 2013.

1. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Tele-Meister

Here is my current pedal set-up:

MXR Dyna Comp
    Ibanez Turbo Tubescreamer
    Dunlop Fuzz Face
    Boss DS1 Distortion

What I am looking to add is a boss ns2 noise suppressor, a decent analog delay, and a possibly an analog chorus, and a reverb box.

What suggestions do you guys have for the delay, chorus, and reverb?

2. willpayne

willpayne TDPRI Member

Delay: tc electronics flashback. Best bang for buck ratio! I also have an aquapuss that is more simple.
    Chorus: if price isn't an issue the wampler nirvana. If it is, mxr's one knob one is pretty solid.
    Reverb: you will get all kinds of answers. For a good and cheap effective one I say t-rex tone bug reverb. I just upgraded to the strymon flint though. $300 is pretty ridiculous for a pedal but I will admit that its worth it for me!! Also, everything wampler makes is great so I am sure that their reverb is no different!

3. stantonmanton

stantonmanton Tele-Meister

What is your budget for each?

4. carolinaeasy

I would like to keep this under $400 total

5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

There are a lot of pedals out there. To get the best recommendations from here, it would benefit you to give us more information:

What kind of music do you play?
    What amps are you running your board through?

Do you have a specific need for the noise suppressor?

6. carolinaeasy

I play neil young, pearl jam, and recently started playing allman brothers band style blues/rock. And of course I play a ton of other stuff as well, but these are my mainstays.

I am playing through a 1975 fender bassman 50 head/2x15 cab.

The noise suppressor is something I want to add, but no there is not an immediate need. It can be done after I add this round of pedals.

7. petey twofinger

petey twofinger TDPRI Member

every noise suppressor i tried always seemed to impact the tone too much for my liking , but i do utilize noise GATES .

chorus , lotsa options , many guys swear by the boss cs-2 although it does seem to boost a bit when engaged . the ehx small clone has a distinct sound , some guys love their poly chorus . for me the most important feature is does it stop modulating completely when the rate is zeroed out . i like that sound with a dirt tone but not too much , more subtle is better .

the mxr carbon copy is huge . if you want modulation , well there are a ton of analog delays around . take your pick !the aqua puss seems to be big , but as mentioned anything by TC seems to have developed a huge reputation for just all around awesomeness .

seems like a line 6 mini stomp modeler would suit ya , or even that new triple zoom thing looks like its garnering very positive reviews .

i heard lotsa folks dont care for the holy grail for reasons , but the trex tonebug is 99 and lotsa folks love it .

just some random suggestions ...

8. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

My feeling is that if you need a Noise Suppressor there's something else wrong that needs to be addressed. Plug in each of your pedals alone. Any noise? If so you know where the problem is. If not, add one pedal at a time, listening for problems. Usually noise comes from ground loops, bad cables or power supply problems.

As for delay, chorus and reverb, check out a VS H20 for the chorus and 'verb. Lots of good verbs out there. The Boss '63 reverb pedal get's good marks. Try everything you can get your hands on.

9. petey twofinger

petey twofinger TDPRI Member

things can quiet down quit a bit when you use " the right " power supply , the boss psa120 or any filtered ps , one spot for instance . one trick is to replace the adapters with batteries and see how things sound .

then you also have noisy pedals by design , some of these units are notorious . the dynacomp for one , some find to be a noisey pedal , then the three dirt boxs he is using ... its noisy because the gain is 200 x or something like that .

i know what extra noise is , i know when something isnt right , my signal chain is pretty long so i use a noise gate , with out it , it would get ugly when i have things running hot , like in my modern distortion setting . for me a noise gate is a fact of life , but there is nothing out of order as far as ground loops , bad power supplys , bad cables . 12 pedals , three rack units , four processors on the board , compression / gates and expanders at three points in my chain into direct boxs , into the board with headphones ... i use noise gates .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.