Suggestions/Recommendations for Alnico II Pickups

jcarter0032

TDPRI Member
Hi everyone, I'm looking for a great set of Alnico II pickups for an upcoming Tele project and just want to know the communities suggestions on some sets. Not very worried about the price, I just want some great sounding A2 pickups.

These pickups are going to be geared towards country/chicken pickin' if that helps with the suggestions. Thanks!

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I second Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro 👍👍

2461912A-48E1-482B-B8A0-95104F2566B3.jpeg

John_B

Tele-Meister
Over a year ago I had Ryan at Bootstrap make me a custom A2 bridge pup. It had 42AWG wrapped to 7.1K. It was outstanding. It was spongy and it quacked.

I thought it was worth 3X the $40 I played for it.

jcarter0032

TDPRI Member
Over a year ago I had Ryan at Bootstrap make me a custom A2 bridge pup. It had 42AWG wrapped to 7.1K. It was outstanding. It was spongy and it quacked.

I thought it was worth 3X the $40 I played for it.
I had never heard of them until now, but I see now that they offer the ability to pick the wire gauge, magnets, and winds which is actually awesome.

fenderchamp

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I think the classic white-guard chicken' pickin' pickups are Alnico V.

'''Bakersfield Lion - Tele®/Esquire® bridge pickup. 8500 turns of 42AWG over A5 rod magnets, plenty o' twang, some mid-range and lotsa treble on tap, yer typical vintage mid-50's Tele® pup but without the shrill treble. LOTS of treble tone, some midrange pops out, some bass is recognized, serious twang on tap. This is pretty much a classic Tele® bridge pup where the tone pot can be used to rein in the treble on occasion. Black or ivory/parchment string wrapped, supplied with mounting screws and tubing.'''

'''
The "S.T. BAKERSFIELD" = SUPER TWANGY / SUPER VINTAGE!​

--The S.T. Bakersfield A-5 Staggered 5.86k , 1955 to 64'
(Also can be requested in FLAT-POLE A5. Just attatch note in Paypal or send request in an email to [email protected])
'''

from the websites of the two pickup winders that seem mostly telecaster oriented.

you can get what you want, or you can get what you made up that you think you want.

Alnico II were used on the real early stuff.

nic'o'caster

Tele-Afflicted
I had the Lollar 52 set in one of my Tele and while they sounded great I always found them too soft and polite. From my initial belief it was the result of the A2 magnets. I have now two Duncan Donahue and one Fender AVRI '62 in different guitars and I must say they are among my favourites bridge pups.

That said I still have to find a neck pickup with A2 magnets that I like...

jcarter0032

TDPRI Member
Update: After much listening and comparing, I think the SD Alnico Pro II is going to be the bridge pickup. However, I don't think I am going to go with the set, because I'm not a fan of the neck pickup. So now I am taking recommendations for a good matching neck pickup for the SD A2 bridge. Doesn't necessarily need to be an A2 pickup either.