Suggestions on Learning Jazz Guitar

redhouse_ca

Tele-Meister
I was taking Jazz lessons for a couple of months. Hurricane #[email protected]!^%! Ian ended that for a while...
My teacher was big on the Diatonic table and Harmonic analysis of songs. Basically, you look at the key of the song and then the chords of the song, determine what each chord is (I,ii,iii,IV,V, vi, vii). If a chord does not fit the key, then you look at what the chord is in relation to the melody notes. You find what notes aren't in the songs key. Those are the notes you accentuate to outline the chord. Those notes will be in a scale, which can be played over that chord. I hadn't proceeded to that (play the scale) level, but I understood the concept. It is hard enough to hear a chord and choose the note that outlines it in real time, let alone a scale!
I hope I described it correctly...

Mr. Larson goes through the process in this video:

Thanks, im now a good few weeks into this and this is good advice. I have mixed feelings about rote learning modes because I never did but found I know most just not by name but rather by feel (“oh, that’s what that mode is”). Knowing the chord specifically ive found to be super important. I have a decent ear and can feel out most, but I was way wrong on a few and that screwed up my arpeggios which I played around but that’s not learning, it’s hacking. I’ve spent a lot of time on the sites suggested here getting the foundational chords (and chord progressions) and arpeggios right, and just listing a lot. That’s really helped. I still suck but suck less and I’m now sprinkling some of this in a ballad solo or even a blues tune and it’s a lot of fun. One thing I’ve learned for sure is you can never really stop learning and you open one door to something new and there’s 10 doors behind that.

telequacktastic

Tele-Afflicted
Most Important: Transcribe things that you like

Also Most Important: Build a vocabulary of 2-5 licks/ideas that are comfortable to you. Get a looper pedal and lay down some chords at a moderate tempo. 1 bar of dm7, 1 of G7, 2 of C Major and try and find things that flow

This is Also the Most Important: Work on a tune and really learn the heck out of it... say a 2-5 blues tune or Autumn Leaves, Satin Doll, something like that. Work through it with a metronome and be able to play the root on the 1 of the bar consistently. Then work on doing the same with the 3rd, 5th, 7th.

Tricone

Tele-Afflicted
Check out Jazz Guitar Online and Jazz Guitar Licks on YouTube.

Also, this book is a great learning tool for helping to develop your ears to playing Jazz.
51E+wkFIZKL._SL350_.jpg

lammie200

Friend of Leo's
I suggest joining the Jazz Guitar Forum. Nice people and loads of help. Also it is very easy to get overwhelmed. Below is a link to a good source for starting out IMHO.